Sign in to follow this  
liberate

What diff fits s15 and can be shimmed?

So I am under the impression that s15 diff (helical) can not be shimmed.

What diff will bolt up that can be?

S14? With s15 half shafts in it maybe?

You need half shafts to suit the diff not the chassis.

R33, s14, other s15 and I think r34 diffs would work.

Never looked into shimming the diffs so don't know what ones can and can't but I'm pretty sure people shim viscous ones..

There's a stickied diff thread in tech I think and it has a list of diffs and their ratios and what cars they came in so it might be worth your time checking that out

you will need to keep your s15 diff housing as this is where your speed sensor is located, unsure if r34 uses the same configuration (i know 4 door's do not as they use r33 style rear end).

you will want an r200 viscous diff centre with matching output shafts, in either 5 or 6 bolt. you cannot use helical output shafts with viscous centre, same with open centre shafts etc.

you can shim any r200 viscous centres.

you will more than likely need to buy a centre with the 13mm crown wheel bolt holes - ie r34, s15 etc. you can't use s13/r32 centre with s15 crown wheel as the crown wheel bolts are different sizes, 12m vs 13mm, they feel ok when you thread them by hand but when you go to torque them you'll strip the threads.

both s15 and r34 did come with viscous centres, but they mostly came with helical centres.

make sure you use the crown wheel that matches the pinion, do not mix and match ratio's, keep the pair together as they will have worn equally together, and don't remove the companion flange nut.

don't mix up the side bearing caps, race' or shims.

there are a thousand combinations and configurations with nissan diffs, only way to know what you need is to open up your diff and check it out.

And r33 should bolt up, has the speed sensor and is viscous?

so an abs r34 4-door one should also fit then I assume

Why not just get a mech lsd centre fitted and keep casing and drive shafts.