Sign in to follow this  
200sxS2

SR20DET slight knock under rocker cover

Hey Guys

Have started to notice a slight knock from under rocker cover mainly at idle but can still here if when I rev the motor. The knock speeds up with the motor.

I am a mechanic myself but don't have too much experience with these engines. Im thinking it could be sticky lifters but usually that will go away once oil pressure builds and is usually louder. It is slightly worse when cold but its still there when hot also. Maybe there isn't sufficient lubrication getting to the cams? Is there and electronically controlled oil valve? it doesn't sound likes its to do with vct or chain. Its not that bad but I want to nip it in the bud before something bad happens :)

Any help would be AWESOME!!

Cheers!

looking like its the vct knocking.. this is the sound.... except waaaay quitter.....at this stage :(

VCT rattle usually goes away . when you touch the throttle or if the cars warm. You say your knock speeds up with

the engine revs?....hope it's not big ends .

yeah mate thats vct rattle once it starts ticking theres no going back. ive gone through two of them. there is a solenoid just left of it that delivers oil. can test it with a couple wires as its just an on/off solenoid. I got one from Taarks for about $400. Or you could go aftermarket non vct cam gear.

Also when u pull the rocker cover off u may aswell take the upper timing chain guide out.

Edited by PoppinFresh1234

hey guys

yeah that vids just an example. mine sounds much the same though. whats the test procedure for the oil solenoid? If it turns out to be the gear can you just replace it with solid gears. do you still need to run the solenoid with solid gears?

When i did a new VCT gear i cleaned my solenoid aswell (which coincidently on rare occasions can also fix the rattle, if its clogged with bad oil but it's nearly always the gear itself) like so.

Cut 600ml coke bottle in half, fill with petrol/metho etc.

Remove oil control solenoid.

Get 12volt battery in 1 hand, solenoid in the other.

Dip solenoid in the degreasing soloution and touch the wires on and off the battery.

It'll click and activate the solenoid ever time you touch the battery, hold it tight as it will jump around in your hand a little.

Cleaning soloution will turn an oily colour as all the shit comes out.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Brent! Ill get that done tomorrow and see if it changes anything!! It can't hurt to clean it anyways! I service my car religiously so I'd be surprised if it's gummed up!! 😎

Edited by 200sxS2

hey guys

yeah that vids just an example. mine sounds much the same though. whats the test procedure for the oil solenoid? If it turns out to be the gear can you just replace it with solid gears. do you still need to run the solenoid with solid gears?

you dont need to run the solenoid with solid gears but theres no need for removing it anways. straight replacement except u will lose a little bit of power as ur getting rid of your varibale timing control

I have a similar noise when engine braking on a s15 sr20de autech, would this also be vct noise?