Sign in to follow this  
OmgPete

Diesel Mechanic worth getting into?

Hey everyone,

So i completed my boilermaker apprenticeship at the end of July and the boss hired a new apprentice and i got laid off.

So ive been out of work since, applying for jobs every day and havent had a single call from any companies which ive found very odd considering ive never had this happen before, could possibly be because im now 21 and only straight out of an apprenticeship i guess. I even went and got my forklift licence during my time off and been applying for warehousing jobs aswell as the boilermaker and labouring jobs but no luck with that either.

Having so much time off work leaves alot of time to think about things (including blowing all my savings on the s13) and i was just wondering what people in the know think about the diesel mechanic trade?

Would it be worth getting into? ive heard you can make some decent money through it, or more than a light vehicle mechanic anyway but is it going to destroy my passion for the car scene?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Yeah i have thought about it. I wanna get a TIG ticket cause i didnt get to do all that much of it during the app and i might go for a pipe ticket too but im literally out of money at the moment, so i cant do anything until i get a job unfortunately

When i first got let off i was planning to get into warehousing or something but that doesnt seem like its going to happen and i could really do with an income at the moment so trying to get back into welding but that doesnt seem to be working either lol, shit as

i'd stick to forking/labouring till you can.

or even stop spending money on your car for the time being

starting another trade will result in you being poor for another 4 years

• Upvote 1

Yea im pretty much trying to get into whatever i can at the moment, just need to get back into the workforce but was more thinking about diesel mechanic for a bit later on or something cause its something thats been on my mind for a fair while now and would like to hear what people think about the trade

Oh and i have stopped spending money on the 13 too haha, havent been able to drive it for ages now cause ive gotta get a new set of brake lines but dont wanna spend any money til i get a job lol

if you wanna have a second trade theres never going to be an amazing time to get paid f**k all but if you haven't got many commitments kids etc and can afdord it go for it if its what you want, I dont believe that it will kill your passion especially if your doing earth moving which is completely different to automotive

Where you from ? I have contacts screaming out for welders

Yea would much rather get into it sooner rather than later if im going to but then again, dont really know if i could deal with another 4yr apprenticeship so maybe not right now, still interested in the trade though

South East melbourne man

Fark man join Facebook and get on these two pages

Awesome boileys page

And Jim (jobs in mining) plenty of shutdown work coming up over Christmas . Take and job you can get if it's grinding pipe 12 hours a day it will look good on your resume

Ah yeah, ive got the awesome boileys page but ill have to take a look at the other one.

Thanks man :)