Sign in to follow this  
iDannyz

ACT import rule

As the title says, I was wondering whats the go with the RWC for imports nowadays, some people say all imports have to go through dickson for a RWC but i also hear its only cars with the purple import plate that have to go through and the green ones are fine, just wanted to clear this up, any info would be greatly appreciated. Dickson is my last resort to take my car to get a RWC lol.

Cheers guys !

From what I've heard, if an import has previously been registered in the ACT it can go to any mechanic, anything from interstate needs to go to Dickson. This is still pretty unclear and not sure about label colour, you should really talk to TAMS to find out.

Having said that, good luck finding a mechanic that will do it. The government has tightened up its approvals and licensing, so many mechanics won't touch an import as they can loose their government license if the car gets recalled and its filled with mods regardless of if they had them or not when the road worthy was done.

Don't be afraid of Dickson, they're pedantic, but generally if the car is well maintained and you have the right attitude towards them and fixing problems you will be fine. Most of the time you will fail for random small things.

I heard that they sent letters out to all the mechanics saying that imports had to go to Dickson. I believe that. But I think it's an empty threat as I don't think any new laws or regulations have been passed that would enforce that. But since most mechanics are probably scared of the empty threat, you probably would struggle to find a mechanic who will do your car, annoyingly. I think that's really unfair and unjustified. If I had the time, I'd actually like to request an FOI on that whole thing and find out how that decision was made and if it's enforceable and exactly what it applies to etc. If anybody wants to lodge an FOI request and post the results here, that'd be great haha. Luckily I already have my imported car registered here, because i'm sure dickson would fail it on a lot of stuff and cost me lots of money for absolutely zero safety reasons.

Thanks for the replies guys.

From what I've heard, if an import has previously been registered in the ACT it can go to any mechanic, anything from interstate needs to go to Dickson. This is still pretty unclear and not sure about label colour, you should really talk to TAMS to find out.

Having said that, good luck finding a mechanic that will do it. The government has tightened up its approvals and licensing, so many mechanics won't touch an import as they can loose their government license if the car gets recalled and its filled with mods regardless of if they had them or not when the road worthy was done.

Don't be afraid of Dickson, they're pedantic, but generally if the car is well maintained and you have the right attitude towards them and fixing problems you will be fine. Most of the time you will fail for random small things.

I have purchased an S13 onevia. The car is bone stock besides a steering wheel, only thing im worried about taking the car through is that it originally had a CA18DET but now has an SR20DE setup, i also have no knowledge on whats the go with the motor swaps over here, apparently if the swap is 200cc or under it doesnt need to be engineered? Someone please clear this up for me

I've heard that too, also heard some 20% power rule too.

The ACT works on a multiplier basis for the most part last time I checked based on displacement and bolt ons (supercharger/turbo). Realistically it shouldn't need to be engineered anyway as it came out with that motor, but it seems to have been a problem in the past.

As RJK said, if the car/model had that engine available as an option, it does not need to be engineered. Never heard of the 20% power rule, how are they going to measure it? They don't have a dyno so they'll send you to an engineer to confirm it.

Most of the information is available online. And in most cases the mechanics do not want to risk inspecting and passing an import as the fine is considerable.

Never heard of the 20% power rule, how are they going to measure it?

Heard so many different things about engine swaps in the ACT, pretty sure a lot of it is BS.

The SR engine will be fine as long as the whole driveline is to spec. While it doesn't need an 'engineers certificate' to pass, they may want you to get a letter from an engineer saying that your car complies as a stock spec SR20DE would in terms of gearbox/diff/brakes/wheels/tyres. I had this problem with my old RB20 Silvia, but provided evidence that standard crossmembers and mounts were used and the tailshaft was unmodified, the rear end was R32 spec and the brakes were R32 as well as the wheels and tyres.

For the power rule, I would think it would go off factory quoted figures from the original manufacturer unless its modified in which case you would need to provide your own proof (cue 5 psi dyno run)

If they go on power than my 180sx with its sr22vet would fail for sure as i think stock is 154fwkw and the new combo should see 600+rwkw BUT luckily for me its already ACT registered LOL

well glad dickson dont have a dyno cause there would be alot of people in trouble here in canberra for over powered engines.

technically any mod that changes the emissions would probably have to go through it too, but you don't see that being enforced too often