Sign in to follow this  
Umberto Catalano

Gear box and diff oil

If the box has recently been rebuilt, use Penrite PRO Gear 75W-90. You can use it in the diff too but I would prefer Redline for the diff.

If the box feels worn and slightly notchy when warm or hot, use Redline Lightweight Shockproof (DO NOT use any other shockproof but this one, you will prematurely wear out or overglaze synchros). I used to run it in my box and I think I got a few more kms out of it. A little notchy when cold but smooth as silk when it's warm.

For the differential I'm using the 75W-90ns (non-slippery), going strong and had it for years.

Either way, I believe Penrite is up there but if you're racing it or giving it hell, I would learn towards Redline. As for the engine, check out Royal Purple. I used to use Motul turbolight 4000 and it would thin out VERY quickly (2500 kms?). After using Royal Purple it seems to feel better and it's fine even after 5000 KMs, but I change it anyway of course. Using 10w-40 for the engine. Also AMSOIL always try ot stress they are better than the rest and I believe they are good but still on par with the top performers. If it's more expensive, don't bother with AMSOIL.

There doesn't seem to be a big difference between prices of the Penrite and Redline.

Best place for Redline and RP oil is:

http://www.performancelub.com

Enjoy.

Edited by Xxx_Ruff_Ryda_xxX

penrite pro gear 75w-85, had redline light weight shockproof in it before and it was no good, very much overrated.

Edited by tekung

penrite pro gear 75w-85, had redline light weight shockproof in it before and it was no good, very much overrated.

Fair enough, my experience with it wasn't bad but others have varied results. Penrite is never a bad choice though.

Brand isn't all that important.

It's the price that is.

Brand isn't all that important.

It's the price that is.

I wouldn't entirely agree on that due to mixed results with Redline, although it is a common trend. But I agree in that you get what you pay for usually.

regular changes, every 6months, 10,000km or 3rd service for me, which ever comes first. dont leave ur oil changes until the signs of notchy,/crunchiness show up. by then the damage is done and ur just putting a bandaid on it