Sign in to follow this  
Joey92

Identifying sr20 cams

Took my cam cover off today expecting to see tomei poncams... What I found, I assume is stock cams, but I cannot be certain...

Doing some research led me to believe that stock cams should have a 53J imprinted on them, which these do not appear to have.

I tried to measure them, don't really know how to do that, but here are some measurements:

INTAKE:

24mm shaft diameter,

38-39mm Lobe length, not circumference.

T with a circle around it stamped at 3 cyl.

has R1 stamped on it at the 4th cylinder (front to back).

EXHAUST:

22-23 shaft diameter,

38-39mm lobe length.

has a T with a circle around it stamped at 3 cyl.

engraving on back end - NO50R 054, with 014 on opposite side.

So I guess if these are stocks, then this car is turning into one big overpriced heap!

I have some pics here on photbucket but I don't know how to embed them, these uploaders aren't helping...

http://s702.photobucket.com/user/Joey92_4020/media/20131014_135616-1.jpg.html

http://s702.photobucket.com/user/Joey92_4020/media/20131014_181244.jpg.html

http://s702.photobucket.com/user/Joey92_4020/media/20131014_181235.jpg.html

http://s702.photobucket.com/user/Joey92_4020/media/20131014_135624-1.jpg.html

Edited by Joey92

Have you rolled the cams over 360°? On the circular section behind the cam gears MOST aftermarket cams have stampings on them. HKS cams will almost always have HKS SR20 stamped along them somewhere. Some older tomei's actually have TOMEI cast on them.

No I haven't, this will sound stupid, but how do you crank it by hand?

My stock s15 cams didn't have a t on it. Where's you buy the car from? What other mods? I found with standard cams the power curve drops away after 5700rpm. My mate bought an evo, was said to have cams, evo 9 turbo ect. It had nothing that was mentioned.

I am still yet to go out and crank it, just got home from uni.

Honestly, this car is full of surprises, should have ripped it apart as soon as I got it rather than wait til now... Got the car private sale about 5 months ago, slowly been doing stuff for rego, engine wasn't really looked at, just assumed it had all the stuff advertised.

Receipts show a 300+kw build a few years ago, setup has obviously changed since then though, specifics of said build weren't included, receipt just says 300kw package from nizzpro/niztune I forget, in vic.

- Had a t2 3071 on it, shat itself a few weeks ago, after all of 7 drives.

- Was told it had a nismo 2-way, actually has shimmed r200.

- Told it has Tomei step 1 cams, yet to determine what it really has, no rocker stoppers either...

- Injectors seem to be nismo 550cc(yellow), however I fail to see how these would flow enough for 300kw? Maybe high-flowed?

- Standard Coilpacks

- Haltech ps1000

I'm not sure if the curve drops off around 5700, sort of felt like it pulled right to 7,000 hard to say, barely drove it.

So far, it appears that me and your mate have something in common <_<

Getting it tuned next week if all goes well up til then. When everything's right and I know exactly what I've got I'll do a member's ride thread.

my poncams have tomei and inlet exhaust and lift stamped on them :)

27mm socket to hand crank the motor btw, just to be safe, crank it to the right so it's turning over properly, not backwards.

Edited by mitch_32

Just cranked it 360... now after reading that ^ cranked it backwards :whistle:

But yeah would have expected stamping or printing of some sort, even on stock cams I thought there would be something identifiable?

So yeah, the rotation revealed a T in a circle on the IN and R2 on the EX, with 014 engraved at the end.

Does this make sense to anyone? Maybe someone has stock cams on their garage floor and can compare this for me.

I'd find a t2 3071 would struggle to get 300 on pump and those injectors would be on the limit. A lot of the guys down south are scamers and if he has lied about a diff I'd say you bought a normally modified jap import. Bolt ins ect. Sorry to hear mate but good luck with the car. Ps it'll pull to 7000 but the torque drops off with stock cams

I'll check my stock cams but those numbers don't ring a bell

*stock cams have a '53J' on both and and a 1 and a 3 in a circle on inlet and exhaust respectively

Edited by mitch_32

Nothing wrong with stock coils went 430rwkw with them