Sign in to follow this  
200sxS2

s15 gearbox into s14

Hey guys!

My gearbox is on the fritz and have been looking at buying one. I would rebuild it but my experience with rebuilding boxes so far has taught me it costs ALOT! Are s15 gearboxes stronger than s14 boxes? I wouldn't mind an extra gear! Also how hard is it to put an s15 box into an s14, What would I need to do? Any advice would be awesome. Thanks!!

S15 box is weaker a lot weaker

lol s15 box is a biscuit its so weak

Anyone know if theres anywhere to get parts to rebuild box other than nissan genuine?

Went on the website but not much info on there, will call them tomorrow. I take it they do a rebuild kit for them?? Any idea what kind of $$ im looking at?

Bearing Service Centre, national company. They have kits for most gearboxs

I dont know how many times we've had to go through this but you're all full of shit.

They are the same size gear set ffs.

The 3rd gear circlip is questionable, i've smashed my box for ages and ages now drifting and had no dramas but at the same time i know how to drive a manual properly.

Thus being said, the proper reason to not do it is the expense.

You will need to change flywheel and tailshaft along with the box + they don't have a speedo that i know off as they are in the diffs with S15's.

Bearing Service Centre, national company. They have kits for most gearboxs

Do they just do bearings or do they do the gears, syncros and shafts also? Could see alot of hardening off the gears in the oil and a bit of syncro in there as well........Its all bad lol

I dont know how many times we've had to go through this but you're all full of shit.

The 3rd gear circlip is questionable, i've smashed my box for ages and ages now drifting and had no dramas but at the same time i know how to drive a manual properly.

You will need to change flywheel and tailshaft along with the box + they don't have a speedo that i know off as they are in the diffs with S15's.

LOl yep s15 boxes are pretty good things, you just need to change everything to s15 between flywheel and tailshaft, like any other gearbox conversion.

if you need all new gears and shit it will cost you an arm and a nut to replace all that.

Yeah will prob end up getting a second hand box..... knowing my luck itl be shagged swell :(

Unless you stripped a gear or snapped a shaft or something, they just get reused.

I wouldn't reuse a gear that had worn the hardening off.

i cannot speak for an s14 but for an s13 you have to do the following.

machine exactly 21mm or 22mm off the face of the bell housing (cannot remember which) this makes the input shaft the right lengh for the standard clutch and flywheel.

you will need a longer tailshaft with an auto yoke off a VN / VK commodore (again cannot remember the exact one) or get a s15 yoke

you will need new bolts for the box because your bell housing is a different lengh

you will need to make a new gearbox mount as it's now sitting closer to the engine.

in short it's a bit of work but the best thing i ever did in my track car. soo much soo i am thinking of getting it done in the 180sx also

I'd try Nisswreck if your in SA otherwise i know a bloke with about 1,000 s13 gears - not 100% sure if they are the same as the s14 but pretty sure they are damn close.

he's located in sydney west - if you want his number let me know

Whats wrong with your box?

Edited by rezzy_S13

Definately don't try nisswreck, by far the most overpriced wreckers for Nissan parts.

Edit: Infact price them up and i'll do it 300 cheaper for my spare 6-speed.

(I'll still call them though to double check the quoted price)

Edited by brent47

Definately don't try nisswreck, by far the most overpriced wreckers for Nissan parts.

agreed!

i wouldn't have a clue what wreckers a good or bad priced as im in NSW :) it's the only 1 i know of off the top of my head in SA

I'd try Nisswreck if your in SA otherwise i know a bloke with about 1,000 s13 gears - not 100% sure if they are the same as the s14 but pretty sure they are damn close.

Box is really noisy . Had the top off on the weekend and there was heaps of shards sitting in the top. Dumped the oil and it was fully metallic after 15000km could see bits of synchro, general bearing metal and flecks of hardening off the gears.

Box is really noisy . Had the top off on the weekend and there was heaps of shards sitting in the top. Dumped the oil and it was fully metallic after 15000km could see bits of synchro, general bearing metal and flecks of hardening off the gears.

Ahhh god damn thats farrrked man sorry to hear. Have you tried the book of faces sales pages for another box?

pretty confident it's a VN auto yoke, i know they are common, you just need to know where to look :P

Ahhh god damn thats farrrked man sorry to hear. Have you tried the book of faces sales pages for another box?

just been looking on gumtree and eBay and shit .. They seem to go for around 650 .. The only problem is there's no telling what condition they're in

Both my boxes have come with the stock clutch and flywheel so that has been a good way to tell if they are worthy, keep an eye on things like that

Edit: The box i recently acquired was also out of an Autech (bought the whole driveline) so thats another thing to look for, hard to make gear tearing power out of an NA

Edited by brent47

Sort of going backwards but can a s13 gearbox straight fit into a s14? Use same clutch and flywheel etc?

Sorry for thread hijack, I've got a motor and box out of anS15 I'm going to put into an S13 for a track car, is it worth pulling the box apart while its out to replace 3rd gear circlip and how much stuffing around is it to do this job or am I better off just getting it all bolted together to get some track time and fix it if/when it breaks??

agreed!

Most Nissan wreckers are a rip! I have just hung up on so many after they tell me what they want for parts. Coil pack cover for S14/15.....second hand....$200!!! GET STUFFED!

So with people blowing SR gearboxes and that, what exactly are they doing to do so? With how much power?

My car will be running a GTX2867RS, so should make decent power, and I've got a Z32 box and conversion, but was considering selling it and either putting a 5 speed box back in, or an s15 6 speed, but then getting the speedo etc working is a pain.

How do you not blow up an SR box on street and track?