Sign in to follow this  
SpotMan

dead end jobs.

Hey guys.

There must be a few people on here who have once had a shit paying dead end job like what I have atm

How did you get out of it and get into a better field? I know of a few people who have gone from working at a servo, back to tafe then off to fly in and out work.

Currently I'm 18 and working as a delivery driver from an auto parts store. Mates at maccas are on more then me and I won't get a rise till I'm 20. I drive the same route around 6 times a day and it doeant stimulate me at all.

Really need to get a new job!

Hey guys.

There must be a few people on here who have once had a shit paying dead end job like what I have atm

How did you get out of it and get into a better field? I know of a few people who have gone from working at a servo, back to tafe then off to fly in and out work.

Currently I'm 18 and working as a delivery driver from an auto parts store. Mates at maccas are on more then me and I won't get a rise till I'm 20. I drive the same route around 6 times a day and it doeant stimulate me at all.

Really need to get a new job!

apprenticeship if you can handle four years of shit pay

DON'T get an automotive based apprenticeship, do your research and find something that pays good and isnt shit work.

Don't become a fitter. Dieing trade.

Decide what you like and start studying. Look into mining and shit kicker jobs like dirt engineer. Piss easy job and amazing pay

want money, get a full time office related job, call centers are easiest to get into, boring as f**k but they pay ok for a start. tech support roles etc. no labor work sit on your arse and talk to *enchilada's* all day helping with their first world problems.

want a career in the long run, go with apprenticeship and cop the hard yard for years with shit pay. Open your own business they say but no one ever does.

or be a drug dealer and get rich or dye trying.

Just interesting to see what people left to get into.

I wouldn't do automotive as mixing hobbies and work sucks, but wouldn't mind diesel mech.

I used to do landscaping and worked on a farm so hard labour work doesn't bother me. altho I do have a back injury from a downhill accident.

Ive always wanted to do fabrication. But even that seems to be hard to get into :/

Brother and glynnside do office call centre job and are on big buck but I couldn't work inside for long.

Why not hit Dan up.

Or look at forklift driving. 30$ an hour to sit on a fork is piss easy

I don't give a fuxk what anyway says dot get into a training agency. They are f**ked an corrupt

Why not try etsa?

as you know. busted balls being a mechanic for 7 off years. biggest waste of f**king time.

took a pretty big risk getting into doing what i do now. FIFO work defs isnt for everyone. ill say that.

suss out geology TAFE courses or similar. smash that out in a couple of years and youll pretty much walk into a job (same as what kye used to do) killer money. shitty work. but worth the coin.

Mate, I've done So man shit jobs up to the age of 26. I did , chicken farm, making sandwiches, kitchen delivery guy, built pine furniture went on to study and do pt and was shit so did a prevo course to do an Electrical apprenticeship and now work out west as a tradesman. If I were you look for an apprenticeship that suits you and pays well. I'd love to be a chippy but they get paid f all working for the man so I went with electrical. you can get anything you want when u want it enough! I was on radio at b105 and triple m pleading for an apprenticeship in Brisbane. If your keen as and no what you want to do just go for it!

try and get an apprenticeship as a electrician.

$$$ suck until you finish but you then can do something else after you finish it and always have something to fall back on and as Lucas said stay away from training agencies

Depends who u work at my company 1st yr electrical get 18 an hr. and mature age get 30.

Worked in restaurant out of school for a few years, then autobarn for a few years, got sick of it and stumbled on applying for a job on the trains. Straight out of 3 month training (that was still paid btw) was earning double autobarn wage. Did that for 3 years now in training for train driver so pay will jump up again once qualified. ..

Shit hours/lifestyle but for pay/education/work load its pretty f**king good

I think diesel mech apprentice is good if you can support yourself on the the crap pay, im in my fourth year and only now just being able to stand on my own two feet financially but its a enjoyable job I don't think its a dying trade there's always going to be trucks, excavators, tractors, generators and even light diesel, plus I get mechanical experience and im still keen to work on my own car because I don't work on cars all week

Edited by chris_c30

I don't give a fuxk what anyway says dot get into a training agency. They are f**ked an corrupt

elaborate?

I went from being a mechanic to working in the mines fly in fly out

Best thing I could have ever done

There is no way I could own every thing I own at The moment on a mechanic wage

I went from being a mechanic to working in the mines fly in fly out Best thing I could have ever done There is no way I could own every thing I own at The moment on a mechanic wage
is that as a motor mechanic or diesel?

Mechanic or boilermaker pull decent money because a lot of people in the trade are attracted to the $$$ FIFO can bring. So even locally, companies are screaming for good workers and willing to pay to keep them.

If you are doing deliveries/store work, maybe get a certificate in warehousing and distribution.. Do you like talking to people? Work your way into sales..

I know you think your job is dead end now, but not everyone at your work does deliveries.. Can you see yourself moving up in the company if you stick with it?

I hate electrical work, try to avoid it as much as i can and get my brother to do it all.

Training organisation are shit. when i was at trade school they would come in every month pushing themselves at us.

FIFO work is what i would like to aim towards. i hate the city and dont really have an commitments back here.

I Used to be in sales for 2 years casual. hated it, hated dealing with muppets so move to a full time delivery driver which paid more. apart from that the only real thing i could move up to would be a retail coordinator or sales rep (but would have to be older). but Repco seems to be only hiring people with qualifications (like straight from foodland) rather then moving their own staff up the ranks.

I currently have a cert2 in Maritime engineering and a handful of other shit. have been considering doing a night course at tafe though

FIFO works hard to get into. its pretty much a case of who you know. not what you know.

failing that. suss out plumbing. good trade. good money etc.

Yeah, sad thing is its hard to get into anything decent at my age. but its even harder to get an apprenticeship when your older..

Just sick of this $12 and hour pay and doing everyone elses jobs for them. My brothers same age and on $22 p/h at a internode call centre.

well stop whinging about it on the net, update your resume, network and make some shit happen dude.

suss some tafe courses you can plug away at as well.

with risks comes rewards. as i said i took a big one and it paid off. if wanted i could walk into a cushy mechanics job at a rig and make 120k a year or so... but i like the freedom my current job has.

My work history after finishing high school consisted of call centres, bar work, waiting tables, pizza delivery, working for friends of my parents' companies eg sheet metal worker, timber yard, chainey for a land surveying company, a trailer factory assembling lights, another factory assembling f**king car mirrors, another factory stamping panels for Holden, door to door sales for another phone company, door to door sales for a home security company and more.

Not one of them was a career, just a means to earn a little walkabout town money to get pissed. I was still living at home and wanted a career, something that would put me outside of my comfort zone and get me out of home & give me some independence. As a result I joined the RAAF, get paid well, have a house provided for me at subsidised rent and get free medical and dental.

I have been in healthcare supply chain management and operations for 10 years. Started on a pretty crappy salary but now earning 6 figures. I have done it the hard way but love my job now.

My advice is to NOT just chase the money. Do something you enjoy because I can assure you making good cash in a job you hate is not worth being miserable with money.

I love healthcare and it is definitely something that is only growing and growing.

Edited by greens14

I hate electrical work, try to avoid it as much as i can and get my brother to do it all.

Training organisation are shit. when i was at trade school they would come in every month pushing themselves at us.

FIFO work is what i would like to aim towards. i hate the city and dont really have an commitments back here.

I Used to be in sales for 2 years casual. hated it, hated dealing with muppets so move to a full time delivery driver which paid more. apart from that the only real thing i could move up to would be a retail coordinator or sales rep (but would have to be older). but Repco seems to be only hiring people with qualifications (like straight from foodland) rather then moving their own staff up the ranks.

I currently have a cert2 in Maritime engineering and a handful of other shit. have been considering doing a night course at tafe though

You practically ruled out every job lol. Can't have a job you will 110% live

You practically ruled out every job lol. Can't have a job you will 110% live

Opps i meant training Agency's lol

FIFO works hard to get into. its pretty much a case of who you know. not what you know.

failing that. suss out plumbing. good trade. good money etc.

They got much FIFO work for IT related peeps? If yes :thumbsup:

And Spence man, the best thing you can do is take some time out and have a look at what you enjoy, what you think you'd enjoy and what you'd do for money but only for a couple of years. Then make sure the path or paths to each of those jobs/careers is also applicable.

For example, a good mate of mine has always been keen on IT but he's never been fantastic at studying so uni has been a made struggle for him and he's dropped out twice now and going back for a third time (won't make it, I'd bet $$ on it) and has racked up heaps of uni debt in the meantime for nothing.

Compare this to myself or other people who have taken the time to think about whether the path for them is really what they want and you'll see that in 90% of cases these people are doing better than my mate who just jumped in without thinking about shit.

Yeah, sad thing is its hard to get into anything decent at my age. but its even harder to get an apprenticeship when your older..

Just sick of this $12 and hour pay and doing everyone elses jobs for them. My brothers same age and on $22 p/h at a internode call centre.

It's even harder to find you kids who are willing to give it a go

"Too much hard work"

"I don't get $49 an hour"

"It's a dead end job"

Sorry spence but you need to man up

Hard to get an older based apprenticeship? Rubbish. Government pays companies to take on older people