Sign in to follow this  
Walfers

Passing Rego.

hey guys,

So i took my newly bought 180 to a family friend mechanic today and he gave it a pretty full on inspection and said rego might be hard to pull off (im in canberra btw), i don't know a ton about cars but I'm slowly learning so correct me if I'm wrong! Anyways the main things he talked about were:

-front radius rods

-lower control arms

-aftemarket turbo

and just a few other little things like stock seats and cracked mirror, etc. i found some lower control arms and front radius rods for $125 and was wondering if thats good, but also I'm wondering about emission test. I've read a fair bit about them and there seems to be different views on when there needed and if you'd get caught, my cars running a sr20det with a aftermarket exhaust manifold so does that mean i need a test? The SR20DET and t28 turbo is from a s15 so im not sure if that automatically makes it need a test. any help would be great as i have no clue what I'm talking about!

Thanks!

also i was told i don't have to take it through Dickson pits if its approved by a mechanic or approved RTA inspector, is that true?

Edited by Walfers

seem you took it to a strict workshop try the workshop the ACT nissansilvia boys do rego

I wouldn't worry too much about the turbo. T25 and T28 are very similar so unless the inspector knows exactly what he is looking at I doubt he would pick it up.

i dont know not from around your area so i dont know how the rego process is for ACT as im in NSW but go to another workshop thats less strict and doesnt go over your car with a fine comb seems your workshop is vert strict and not suited for imports just ask in ACT section about it would be my suggestion or ask around etc

In the last year or so Canberra has clamped down on dodgey mechanics and modified cars to bring in extra revenue. Lenient (read lenient, not dodgy) workshops are becoming harder to find due to this.

As far as I know Dickson doesn't have any emissions testing gear, but if it's pretty obvious you have an aftermarket turbo (i.e. branding that isn't Garrett or Nissan, high mount etc...) they will probably say something. Stock T28 is pretty negligible.

The only manditory time for an import to go over Dickson is if it's from interstate (although this is still a bit unclear). If the car is already registered in the ACT, it can go to any inspector you want. Apparently if it's been registered in the ACT before and has gone interstate and you're bringing it back, it can go to any inspector too (still not clear either).

Good price for the LCA's and castor rods too. Post in the ACT section, some more people might chime in.

The ACT section is pretty dead :/ its rego'd in nsw at the moment and that expires at the end of the month so what do I do then? And so it dosnt matter its a s15 sr20det with the t28 in a 180? Ive spoken to a fair few people about act insoections and everyone has different views on it :/

..Wait, is this a roadworthy thing for ACT?

If so, your list is tiny, wish my 2 page list for my s13 was like yours.

Change them, easy to do. Lucky you. The turbo shouldn't be a problem.

The ACT section is pretty dead :/ its rego'd in nsw at the moment and that expires at the end of the month so what do I do then? And so it dosnt matter its a s15 sr20det with the t28 in a 180? Ive spoken to a fair few people about act insoections and everyone has different views on it :/

You won't know till you post there. There's more chance of ACT people coming across your thread there than here. You're just shooting in the dark at the moment with people from other states.

One of the ACT S13s has passed Dickson with an S14 SR20, which also had a stainless manifold and T28.

Sometimes it depends on who you get there. I have a friend with an MR2 who failed Dickson because his car was louder than their limit, even with a stock exhaust. It took two or three trips before somebody finally realised it was because the engine is at the back of the car and that it was making most of the noise.

As long as it's not too loud, too low, and generally pretty good nic (steering, bushes, suspension) you can go from there.

However, don't be disapointed if you don't pass the first time. It's a pretty common occurance there, even if you don't own an import.

Edited by _R_J_K_

Thanks for the info RJK, its raised now and will have new tires and a stock exhaust when it goes for its next inspection, its NSW registered at the moment and I'm not sure if its ever been registered in ACT, so I guess I should just try my luck?

Also I need to swap it into my name by tuesday and the rego expires the end of this month so what can I do? How do people get cars that dont have rego to shops?

Thanks

Hey Walfers,

You can get an unregistered vehicle permit from the ACT shopfront, just take in the old rego paper for details. If the car was previously rego'd in the ACT they will give you a 7 day permit, if it was previously rego'd in NSW they will give you a 1 day permit.

I've looked into the technical / legal perspective of your situation before, technically in the ACT you will need an engineer's certificate to pass road worthy or get rego, because an S15 SR20DET motor is more than a 5% increase in power over factory. (Is it 5% or 10%? I can't remember). Either way if the car came fitted with a CA18DET it is over, if it originally had an SR20DET it should be ok.

Things like rose jointed suspension components don't comply with ADR's and aren't legal, although it really comes down to the workshop (My housemate was fine with adjustable camber arms in his car).

#removed# used to be understanding, and #removed#t have also been nice to deal with in the past.

Good luck!

#pm user for the workshops mentioned.#

Edited by WPN-X7
removed workshop names.

Thanks for the info sweefu, so on the paper work That I got back on the 180 the mechanic put it as a 1997 model and I asked the previous owner and he said it was complied in 97, so maybe another workshop might think its 97 model aswell and they have sr20's in them and all will be good? :/ or they won't and ill spend thousands on emissions test and certs :( I might take it down to one of those shops and see what they say

$1000's for a emission test where did you pull that figure from?

Thanks for the info sweefu, so on the paper work That I got back on the 180 the mechanic put it as a 1997 model and I asked the previous owner and he said it was complied in 97, so maybe another workshop might think its 97 model aswell and they have sr20's in them and all will be good? :/ or they won't and ill spend thousands on emissions test and certs sad.png I might take it down to one of those shops and see what they say

I know a couple of people who have had cars engineered for different motors, they were sent to Sydney for emissions test, but this was a few years ago so not sure if it's done here or in Sydney still.

There is a year model on the firewall plate, and correct it says 1997 because it's the year it was complied. I'd imagine they would look to see what the engine capacity was on the original plate (i.e. what the capacity of the motor was from factory) but they might look past this and just put 1997.

From my somewhat limited experience with ACT rego, if it has mods (and it is also an import) from NSW you will need to take it to Dickson.

Thats ok, as RJK said as long as its in decent condition they wont screw you. But don't be suprised if its knocked back for stupid shit the first time. They'll probably spend 30mins looking for the child anchor points, lol.

Also you may need to explain that it is an import, and the '97 date is the compliance date, not manufacture. They'll put the manufacture date down obviously... Sometimes just helps/speeds up the process.

Regarding the engine, technically you should have an engineers cert yes, but because it was an engine availalbe as standard and uses all standard mounts etc. its fine.

Just say its standard, and if/when they check the engine number just tell them its out of a later year model and that its the same. Don't stress, its fine.

Edited by KENut

Oath what Ken said, say nothing about the motor, they wont know its different. I have some standard front seats if you still need, welcome to borrow as long as you put down a deposit

Thanks everyone, and that seems like the way to go with the motor, but will they notice its a t28 turbo orrr? And from what ive heard about imessions test supposedly they cost $1000 ?? No clue.. :( I think ill get everything good and stock as possible and then go through dickson or a workshop and try my luck. And thanks for the offer the seats (I have them in the garage) going to get stock exhaust, anything else ill need?

Thanks everyone, and that seems like the way to go with the motor, but will they notice its a t28 turbo orrr? And from what ive heard about imessions test supposedly they cost $1000 ?? No clue.. :( I think ill get everything good and stock as possible and then go through dickson or a workshop and try my luck. And thanks for the offer the seats (I have them in the garage) going to get stock exhaust, anything else ill need?

They wont pick the difference between a T28 and the standard T25.

If it makes you feel better I sold my last car (180sx) with NSW rego and the dude that bought it had to change it to ACT.

It had coilovers, adjustable castor arms, strut braces, T28, aftermarket manifold, exhaust with big twin tips (pretty quiet though), Hicas delete, different seats, and a few other things, and it got passed by Dickson the second time after it was rasied and some minor stuff fixed.

It does ken haha, mine has a lot of those things done to it but yeh, exhaust is super loud but that'll change soob.

So it's been a while and ive slowly been working on making it all stock.

So far:

All my LCA's and castor rods are now stock

the interior is much cleaner (newer stock seats and no guages/holes from any)

replaced the front hubs as they needed new bearings

bought a front reo bar

replaced brake disks

Fixed all the leaks

Installed a cat

Removed bov, boost T

So I still have a few concerns about it, my uncles helped me a fair bit with the car and says its best to just take it through dickson and get it done with, which is most likely what ill end up doing but he also recommends taking of the intercooler completely and instead to run a pipe from the intake plenum directly into the turbo just for the rego. It'll make mounting the front reo a breeze but is this actually safe to do? And will it help with the rego?

The other concern I've had all along is the engine, and as previously said by ken (I think) "if they don't ask,don't tell", but isnt the stock engine stated on the cars plates(capacity and whether it was n/a or not)?.. also I have a rusty as looking spaghetti manifold, is that bad and will they care? Thanks for the help.

Edited by Walfers

he also recommends taking of the intercooler completely and instead to run a pipe from the intake plenum directly into the turbo just for the rego. It'll make mounting the front reo a breeze but is this actually safe to do? And will it help with the rego?

You can run it this way if you want. Plenty of people have gotten through with a front mount. The problem is not the location of the core or how big it is, but if the piping goes through the battery tray or not or if you've trimmed the reo to accomodate. Not sure what the deal is with the hole, I've heard of people passing by putting some edging around the edge of the hole (just some tube with a long cut or something like that).

The other concern I've had all along is the engine, and as previously said by ken (I think) "if they don't ask,don't tell", but isnt the stock engine stated on the cars plates(capacity and whether it was n/a or not)?.. also I have a rusty as looking spaghetti manifold, is that bad and will they care? Thanks for the help.

All SRs have the same engine prefix. Like I said before, one member here got through Dickson with the same setup (VCT SR20DET in an N/A S13 with the manifold).

Look, you're not going to get the answer from any of us. Even if we knew that this wouldn't pass, what difference would it make? You've already spent up and have the S13 and the engine, us telling you that it isn't going to pass isn't going to change anything. You getting knocked back at Dickson won't be the end of the world either, you take their advice and fix up any problems they identify and you go back.

Stop worrying and just go already. You won't know unless you go.

Edited by _R_J_K_

Yeh, suppose you're right. I'm not just gonna not do it..if you know what I mean, I just worry to much haha.

Yeah, as I too have found pushing cars with issues through NSW rego, at some point you just have to bite the bullet and go for it. Sounds like you've made a decent effort to get it back to stock, so you should do ok, and even if they have objections you shouldn't have any regrets about taking it in. Regarding the rusty spaghetti manifold, it would be worth looking for a stock one with heat shield irrespective of the rego attempt, however I would still take it in as is. All the oem manifolds are cast iron and covered in rust, so I wouldn't be too worried.

Just make sure you degrease the hell out of the engine bay, as most inspectors froth over the sight of a spotless bay, and they're more likely to ignore the tiny things because it looks really well maintained.

Thanks pmod, ive been keeping my eye out for a stock manifold but are the t25 ones the same as the t28 ones? Also I thought having the engine bay spotless might look more sus if anything, but I guess it makes sense and it gives them less of a reason to search for little things.

All the factory SR20 turbos have the same flanges and ports, but ADM S14 and S15 have an EGR port on the back runner (see the pic below). Work out if you're running this port. Most people usually just get rid of it because the EGR gear is so old it just gets destroyed when they take it off (this then creates the problem of blocking the EGR port in the intake and manifold up).

Apparently they also move the position of the exhaust a bees dick, but I haven't heard of fitment problems from somebody who's done it.

http://www.nissansil...ttach_id=416880

EDIT: Just had a think about that. If you're running the stainless manifold, there's pretty much no chance of you having EGR. Regardless, if you have to replace it you have to get one without the port, which is pretty much every S13.

Edited by _R_J_K_

To add to that, the EGR port flare on the S15 manifold interferes with the crankcase pressure tube on the S13 block, meaning the tube must be bent to clear it. Obviously this isn't an issue for you, since you're running an S15 engine, however it's worth noting that it's the other difference between them.

Stinkypoo got through dickson with a front mount that was basically cable tied on. However got knocked back for wrong ride height and no bung in the drain located in the boot.

Moral of the story, take it in see what they say.

P.S. Engine will run without an intercooler but look modified with a dodgy cross over pipe anyway. Just leave it.

Yeh I spoke to stinkypoo about rego'ing his s13, interesting story haha, I have to get one of those bungs for my boot aswell :( and as for the manifold I guess ill keep my eye out for a cheap one and if I cant find one, well ill see how it goes, appreciate the help everyone!