Sign in to follow this  
AE86557

Slowvia s14

so looking through the racechrono app which is what i had used to do the timing this track day, i did a total of 60 laps.. thats not including the laps where i was not using the app.

174kmph was top speed at the kink..

entered and paid for NSW time attack, club sprint..

what's a savings account?...

Edited by AE86557

My feeling was correct. before the track day i did have an exhaust leak, and the track day confirmed it.

I did lose some response and power, but what i really lost was 1 stud and nut from the turbo that holds the dump pipe to the turbo.

And i think i remember when it happened because i remember something hitting and rattling under my bonnet down the main straight of wakefield and i was like "did i run over something? car feels good, dont worry, keep going"

So now with a real exhaust leak and not just my imagination..

I've made a air dam and splitter for track use

It has to meet the NSW time attack regs for clubsprint class so as you can see in the pictures its not wide or forward long as what we are use to seeing these days.

can be 50mm more forward then most forward part of the car/front bar basically

no wider then guards

its not finished yet but you get the idea, i just hope it works as intended

IMG_6543.JPG

IMG_6545.JPG

IMG_6548.JPG

IMG_6552.JPG

Dat Bunnings powered splitter :D

I did a similar thing, though bigger as I'm not in a class etc.

lol yeah, Bunnings sponsored almost

i should of put that in my entry info for the lols

http://www.wakefieldpark.com.au/events/nsw-time-attack

Race car number is #13. race day is 1 month away! woo

some bloody fast cars for a supposedly street/entry cheap class but no surprises there from the previous year. Fastest club sprint last year was an EVO doing 1min 3sec if i remember correctly which is already faster then some OPEN class cars.

Question is, how am i going to make sure i dont come dead last.

My fastest time on proper street tyres ( old used Feds RSR 255/40/17) was 1.11 second, so with brand new Hankook RS3 (clubsprint class controlled tyre) with now current mods i should do easy 1:10 at best in theory. on a good day i rekon a 1:09 which will match my semi slick time.

all very exciting stuff over some slow times lol

if the car gets a decent tune done by then to get a little more out of the stock factory package, should start to see the times slowly tumble down finally

I'd say tyres will net more than 1 second a lap.

I have those RS-R's also, but in 235 all round. Brand new there were only a touch faster than completely shagged 235 RE55's.

So new ones would have been a solid 2sec quicker easily I'd say.

$300 entry ouch.

Edited by ActionDan

PRE TEST TRACK DAY Sunday

it was raining and the car was getting a quick road tune done by forum member good guy Johnnilicte,

Because it was raining and wet, we did what we could within safe limits, did i make more power? no one knows, but it drives a lot smoother now and pretty sure it has a little more torque down low. basically just made the fuel map look prettier then stock and i dont think we did much changes with timing, just a bit here and there to be safe on the engine and safe for us as again it was wet and couldn't and shouldn't push too hard so we just did what we could.

TEST DAY Monday - conditions, wet

Basically was a drifting session in the morning, tested the rotallas in the wet and came off the track, as expected.

The track had dried up in the afternoon with a wet patched at the last corner still so it was now or never before the rain would come back.

Semi Slicks went on and was trying hard to pull a new PB on the old semis, and best i got was 1:09:6 which is .1 faster then my last track day outing (see previous youtube link for the 1:09:7)

to be honest im still loosing some power as the exhaust keeps leaking overtime out on the track, usually when i pull my fastest time is when im having maximum leak lol.

Race chrono is awesome, my optimum laptime with all the best sector times added was 1:09:3 this test day, so the car is still basically the same LOL. good to know its still in the 9 second range consistently with the now old semis, and exhaust leaks

oh and i didnt use my front splitter because its not finished basically

i'll post a video of the lap tonight, there's defiantly more time in the car but the track conditions and tyre temps was the let down for sure.

POST TRACK DAY TUESDAY

fixing the exhaust leak

the gasket from manifold to turbo blew, which was a surprise as i thought it was the turbo to dump pipe that had leaked again.

so the whole snail had to come out

while it was out, i installed the nismo engine mounts i had

everything went back in 6 hours later? typical..

turned on the car and the engine spat out all the engine oil via the oil filter outlet..because i removed the oil filter off the block when i did the engine mounts and forgot to put it back on before starting the engine. MAD

hour and half later of cleaning a good 3.5L of black engine oil off the concrete, car was done

but wait! AFR gauge is now showing er2 (error)

found that the connection plug had been crushed and got disconnected by the gearbox during the process of the engine mount install because i routed the cables over the gbox when i installed the o2 sensor. MAD

plugged it back in and it still worked, duct taped the connection plug to make sure it wont disconnect again because race car

So now with only 2 weeks before NSW time attack and still need to buy some high performance street tyres for my class, and looking at the entry list of cars in club sprint, safe to say that coming last wont be a surprise, but im just there to have fun anyway :thumb:

Edited by AE86557

lol i'll get some videos up tonight.

Oh yeah and im getting a LOT of blow by, oil was everywhere inside the intake pipes etc, even slowly leaking out of the silicone hose from the intercooler piping.. will need a catch can setup for the car.

Edited by AE86557

i dont have a lot of things in my car that i should have for track duties lol, no oil cooler is another.., keep it simple stupid is the aim for the car at the moment.

i dont know how to add videos in the post so heres the youtube link of the 1:09:6.

No oil cooler 0_0

Do you have an oil temp gauge at least?

Looked like a pretty clean lap, very flowing track compared to my local (Winton).

Is your headunit changing colours lol

What power does this make? I've got the same turbo (if by T28BB you mean GT2560 from an S15?) I just clocked in under 200kw and around 360NM, so I assume on an SR that's a touch over 200 and 400Nm+

no oil cooler

no oil temp gauge

no water temp gauge

something ive been meaning to look into

yeah my head unit does that lol.

i have no idea what power this car makes, its the first time its ever been tuned (3 hours road tune)

the video shows the car was struggling to hold 9-10 psi stable due to exhaust leak so im not even at optimum power

whats a typical power output for stock s14 injectors, stock AFM, stock airbox, 12psi, T28BB with a decent tune.. that should give you a rough idea on how much power its got at the moment or even a little less.

Winton, ive been there once but have not driven on the track, would love to put a time down at that track

Edited by AE86557

At that boost? 160-180rwkw tops would be my beat.

It takes me 17psi to make 200 on that turbo on a CA, so it's a 210 or so kw turbo on a SR I think at similar boost.

At least get some gauges you lunatic.

Thanks mate! im going to need it by the looks of things. and more power wouldnt hurt right about now

Edited by AE86557

Apart from the leaking exhaust manifold I reckon the next limiting factor on your power would be the stock S14 injectors - 370cc if memory serves. Don't worry about a bigger turbo with those injectors.

Water temp guage a must, at the absolute minimum

You'd need at least 500cc injectors to look at upping the boost. I make 230 on the same turbo but with e85 at 1000cc injectors

yeah stock injectors and fuel pump would be next on list for power upgrades for sure, i think both are over due for a service/upgrade anyway including turbo upgrade at the same time but more on this in a bit

ive been testing it on 14.5psi lately and it seems to be going ok at WOT, AFR showing its still within the safe ratio and not leaning out, its still actually running a little rich even at this boost level, might have to do a few logs on nistune and touch up it here and there to make sure its completely safe.

in other news, im slowly shopping/saving for a new eco green money saving friendly daily car so the s14 can be used as weekend/track only, which also means s14 now has the option to go E85.

Edited by AE86557

You'd need at least 500cc injectors to look at upping the boost. I make 230 on the same turbo but with e85 at 1000cc injectors

230kw from a T28? Seems pretty high... But I definitely agree, injectors needed if you go E85. I was using Nismo 740cc with my T28 on E85.

Agreed, I thought 200 was the upper limit as it was.

The boost needed sees them off the comp map almost.

I'm only running mine at 17psi because it was $100 and it's a GT2560/T28BB

2 days away from a 2 day action packed time attack weekend.

im near completion of the front splitter, did a test drive yesterday and it was too low so will need a little more work to bring it higher and up to regulations.

car needs usual maintenance before track day, bleed this bleed that, go over this and that

gearbox needs a service and overdue for one, diff and engine should be fine as they are as there will be minimum track time anyway

turbo needs to come out again to tighten all loose nuts to stop the exhaust leak again, hopefully this time it'll last long enough for the event

got 245/45/17 hankook RS3 on my RPF1 now and need a new more aggressive wheel alignment this time around.

still need to install rear diffuser for aesthetics, because race car is all about aesthetics :rolleyes:

So the top runners in clubsprint, im expecting them to be high 1:03s around Wakefield this year while i'll be a good 7 seconds behind. The level of clubsprnit is kinda bullshit to be honest as thats basically open class to pro class car times around this track. same cars literately that you would see at WTAC.

im just excited to be part of the experience

Pics of rear diffuser?

Awesome just to be there mate, and in the end the guy who wins that little plastic trophy didn't necessarily have any more fun than you but he did spent a lot more.

Why are you having exhaust bolt issues? No locktite or safety wire or something?

Was watching you today (Saturday) at WP. Car looks great! :thumbsup:

Good luck for tomorrow, hopefully you hit the 8's!

Was watching you today (Saturday) at WP. Car looks great! thumbsup.gif

Good luck for tomorrow, hopefully you hit the 8's!

thanks mate!!

Great event and even better a new personal best! 1:08.9990 on Sunday morning.

Quick summary of the weekend,

Saturday was great, no issues with the car, slightly developed more leaks in the exhaust somewhere, didn't loose too much response so left it, as i've not driven on street tyres on the track for sometime now i had to get my head around this. The car felt twitchy under brakes with the new wheel alignment and also on corner entry and exit, went softer on the dampers all round which helped a lot but still the car on corner exit just would not grip up, the turn in on corner entry was more progressive so that was a positive and my front air dam and splitter actually works i think, front steering has never felt this good before is what im basing this off. quickest on Satrurday was 1:09:0770 which is a new personal best!

Sunday morning sessions,

I got a special delivery of over night parts from JDMYARD of a Hardrace adjustable front swaybar and installed it into the car. did it make a difference? yes it sure did.

installed it and put it to max stiffness to counter front roll, the front now turned in sharper with more control for a better race line due to even less body roll now and that is still with another softer damper setting. win everywhere

The rear end is the biggest let down overall, corner exit speed is where im losing so much time now. get on the power early and it would just want to spin the tyres and drift. you have to wait, wait wait, then get on it progressively. the waiting part is what you dont want to do, specially when you already dont have power compared to the rest of the other cars.

with all this i clocked in at best with a 1:08:9990. a new personal best!!

so next was to try and sort out the rear end, the rear diffuser basically does nothing, it was only for show which was the intended purpose, if your not fast might as well look fast B)

we lowered the rear ride height by 5mm to try and get more weight in the rear+made sure the car had at least half a tank of fuel to again try get more traction, went out to test it and it felt better again, but this time the power steering gave up. So after all this my best i could do was a 1:09.0 so technically no difference but the car felt better with the lower rear ride height now.

Im am happy with the time but as always knowing there is still that little bit more in the car which i couldn't put to good use is a little frustrating as always. but still very happy to hit the 8 second range on a very simple and very street legal car with no real power mods at all..and on street tyres. WTF! i went slower with my semi slicks HAHA

Car is now officially taking a break from track work for the rest of the year as its basically at its limits as it is, which is a fair effort i think

This is the Sunday live stream, my car can be seen from 40-42min of the video, but good to watch the whole thing or just skim through it

http://www.wakefieldpark.com.au/watch-nsw-time-attack-live.html

i'll put up some in car videos and will try to find the 1.08 lap if i got it on my gopro

Awesome weekend mate :D

How much flex would you say is in your splitter, especially in the out corners around the headlights.

I'm nervous about using mine at speed.

awesome photos! thanks

my splitter is very small around that area so the flex is very minimum to none with the minimum bracings it's got lol. i can stand on my 5cm lip and i weigh 60kg and it'll flex a bit but wont crack though i wouldn't dare put anymore weight on it. with maybe one more bracing at the front (because it's got none there) where i stand on it and it'll hold easy 80kg.

power steering issue may just need a quick full flush as i just had a quick play with it while dissembling the splitter off my front bar and i've got some power steering feedback back in the steering. all good signs so far.

Sign in to follow this