Sign in to follow this  
S15_Steph

Is the ACT bad for Defects? Looking at moving there soon

I am wondering how strict the ACT cops are regarding defects, I know most mainland states are a bit sucky compared to Tasmania, just wondering actually how bad? I am hoping to move there in the next 6 months, and am unsure what to do with my S15 - keep it, or sell it. I use it as a daily down here without hassles, but thinking I might have dramas up there. It has pretty much everything done - highmount, brembos, etc, except a stripped interior and cage, but looks reasonably respectable (except for the hot pink vented bonnet) and I dont drive like an idiot.

What are my chances of being defected? It will only be a rainy day car, i have a bike for the rest of the time.

Stephanie

I don't think anybody can guarantee that it won't or will be defected but by driving it there is always that chance, I haven't been defected yet although my car has been of the road for a year now I drove it daily around for about 2 years with a white bonnet and both bars, and the rest of my cars black, it's also pretty low. I got pulled over a bit, I'd say around 5 times in the 2 years and they never lifted my bonnet, they looked under my car once but never mentioned anything. I think it can sometimes come down to how they see you drive and how you act towards them. I think I'd be getting a new bonnet though. Or at least get it resprayed. The less attention the better

Yeah, it would be getting sprayed to match before I left, so just a neat kitted S15. What is it like getting rego over there too? And are there yearly roadworthy checks?

S13, as you say, a lot depends on how you drive and treat the cops, I hope :P My sports bike is my toy :P

I don't think anybody can guarantee that it won't or will be defected but by driving it there is always that chance,

Pretty much this. I own the shittiest dodgiest S14 in the ACT, it's half blue and has the rear bar visibly cable tied on, and runs no mufflers. Been pulled over once and RBT'd a couple of times without the officers even taking a glance. Having said that though, I know a number of people that have been defected for smaller things that then become a bigger problem because whomever is inspecting their car notices all this extra stuff that's not compliant.

Instead of yearly checks, the government relies on Police and vehicle inspectors that visit car parks. In this respect, as long as it is reasonably standard looking on the outside and not stupid low it should be fine.

Getting it roadworthied initally is probably going to be your biggest challenge. Unclear at the moment if JDM cars need to go over the goverments vehicle inspection station, ADM cars can usually just go to a mechanic for roadworthy, although leniant mechanics are becoming harder to find.

Unless your planning on keeping it registered in Tasmania you'll have to return it to stock to pass Canberra's roadworthy station.

Once you do you'll be fine, not many imports get defected here, less so ones driven by girls.

Unless your planning on keeping it registered in Tasmania you'll have to return it to stock to pass Canberra's roadworthy station. Once you do you'll be fine, not many imports get defected here, less so ones driven by girls.

I wouldn't necessarily agree with that when Stinkpoo got defected last year he got through rego inspection with a front mount, coilovers, pod filter and a few other things and his car is also dodgy as hell.

The top mount may be a problem. It is hard to know, the rules seem to be applied really inconsistently. Another other option is a an engineering certificate.

I think it all comes down to how much do you want to keep your car.

Once you do you'll be fine, not many imports get defected here, less so ones driven by girls.

THIS. Unfortunately, or possibly fortunately for you, its seems a part of reality that showing a bit of boob when you get in trouble usually makes the world of difference. Hate to be sexist etc. but thats just how the world works. I've heard of many people getting dodgy cars through Dickson cos they sent their car in with their hot missus dressed in something a bit revealing.

Its got me out of tickets before, hopefully will work again :P About the only time I love sexism :P I will be looking at getting it engineered, does anyone know anything about interstate engineers certificates being valid over there? I have heard they sometime dont trust them or something?

Steph

keep it registered in Tasmania... interstate plates = no issues

if u do decide to get it engineered, Ray Spence (Canberra Motor Works) is the only engineer Dickson will take seriously. Dont use John Wilson (AKZ Engineering) as they will laugh at you, then go to town on your car. i've been to dickson more times than i care to recall (like most of the guys here) and (as each of them will atest) each time i went, the rules were different. as i said above, the easiest way to get around it is to keep it registered in Two Headsville or get Ray Spence to do you a report. be prepared for at least $1000 - $2000 for a heavily modified car... my V8 silvia cost me $2300 and that was a stock stock s13 + stock Toyota V8, stock toyota trans, skyline brakes, tein coil overs and no back seat.

Edited by chosen1

Yeah, I am thinking Tassie rego will probably be what I will do, and get it engineered down here (can get it done for a reasonable price). Then a road trip if I do get done. Unfortunately the ACT doesnt recognise interstate engineers, which sucks :(

I googled and found the ACT RTA department, at Dickerson? I called, and got put thru to someone, that said they only acknowledge ACT engineers. If anyone can find out for me, and you know who to ask, can you find out please?

Pretty sure that's not the case. ACT gov documentation clearly states that engineers reports from signatories in other states are fine as long as they are in accordance with ncop. Also half of the listed signatories on ACT gov docs are interstate.

i haven't checked in a while, but last time i wore NSW plates ACT cops would not defect me, different state = different motor vehicle standards (as it says in bold text towards that bottom of the first page of the above link "Vehicles will be inspected against the relevant ACT Road Transport Laws applicable at the

date of inspection.", therefore they cannot defect you as they have no jurisdiction to defect a vehicle that is registered under the Road and Transport laws of another state.

they can hand out infringement notices like candy however, which is how they get you. your car might be registered in Tas, but if u want to drive it in ACT/NSW/VIC what ever, then you have to meet the standards of the state you are driving in too. its completely stupid that for rego purposes you only have to meet the standards of the state you are registering in, but if you travel interstate and the police there do not believe your car meets their standards, they can issue you with an infringement, which is what i got a lot of when i wore NSW plates. the bright side is, no inspections, you just pay the fine and off you go (no points loss either), the down side, it gets expensive after a while especially if you fail the attitude test.

again, that is how i understand things, i might be wrong now, but everytime i look at building/buying an import, i do what ever i can to not wear ACT plates as unless you have a Ray Spence engineers report, Dickson/ACT Police will go to town on you - regardless of what ever the BS is you get told over the phone or they have on the uselss Canberra Connect website. there is no consistency with Dickson.

If you have family in Tasmania, change the rego address to their address and wear your two headed plates with pride :D

Edited by chosen1

by the way, only 2 of the names on that list can sign off on "performance" modifications - Ray Spence and John Wilson.

i called all of them to get my Sil engineered, i didnt bother with John Wilson as i k now Dickson would have laughed at me, Ray Spence was very expensive and the others were all disabled person modification signatories (wheel chair access and cranes etc) and would not sign off on performance mods as that is not what they did. its a crock of shite and that list is super old too. i think actually 2 of them now are no longer even working. so you're really stuck with one choice.

please feel free to correct me if i am wrong, however i did a lot of research before paying out $2300 for my report.

my advice, save your time and money, keep it Tas rego.

Edited by chosen1

fark this, im going to get on to my cop mates and find out more about the policy regarding defecting of interstate registered vehicles as i know my comments above are going to spark a huge debate - as per previous threads on the topic.

i'll be back in Oz in a week, so i'll get back to you all then

I think your correct on Ray Spence for sure, but I have been defected several times in the ACT with NSW plated cars (I'd say at least 5 times, probably more like 8) I've been done both by vehicle inspectors and been pulled over. I've always seemily failed the attitude test, despite me not having a hostile attitude in general.

if you have Rego plates from a different state your address will have to be that state on your lisensce?

Keeping license and rego Tassie based isnt a drama, I have heaps of family down here. Starting to sound like this could be the best way to go.

Does that mean if you get a defect in the ACT that you'll need to go over ACT pits and get ACT rego or drive back to Tas to clear the defect?

Drive back to Tas to clear a defect. No ACT Defect on a non ACT vehicle has to go to Dickson, despite some cops saying otherwise and even circling Dickson on papers, its not right. You car meets Tas regs, it needs to be passed by a Tas inspector.

Rather than start a new thread, I will post in here.

I have picked up a job in Canberra, will be starting around November, and am starting to look for housing. Is the anything other than realestate.com or gumtree to help me find something? Need 1 off street park, preferably lockup, other than that, I am pretty non fussed. Silv will be staying in Tas for a while, will be getting a work car, and bring up my roadbike

I just got my S15 Silvia rego inspected around 4 months ago in the ACT after buying it in VIC.

All JDM cars have to go through the government inspection station at dickson as of July 1st... It can be a bit of a bugger from what i've heard as they're super picky and almost love failing people.

Butttttt..... being a girl maybe helped me because although I had a heap of things I knew I'd be failed on (i just took it in to get a list so I could go home and fix it up) I ended up passing miraculously!!!!

You're allowed pod filters as long as they're correctly mounted, turbo timers so long as the car stalls when the handbrake is taken off, guages so long as they don't obscure sight... pretty much no exhaust system will get through though. If you come in with a pink bonnet they may go over the car with a fine tooth comb...

And you will not get away with a pink bonnet for very long...

Anyways, good luck!