Sign in to follow this  
OHN.050

Sprint / Time Attack Nissan Onevia

Hello everyone,

Thought I would post my current build / project car / track car (Hoping to start this year!)

My names Brendan, been in love with cars since forever. Started out wanting to drift, but after a few track days, I bit the bug hard and wanted to focus on that...

I used to drive a R33 GTS-T Skyline, until I had a minor altercation with a guard rail at 150k/h

Bought another daily R33 and pulled the other one down for parts... With all the fond memories, I couldn't sell the bits and decided to get myself another car I could tinker away with.

I was working a guy who had a daily driven S13 - After a year of knowing him he purchased a new R32 GTR and no longer had need for the Silvia - SR20de manual - I threw him an offer and I was now the owner of this car for $600!

Car came back to my house and sat there for 8 months or so - Another friend of mine had the same car, but in Auto and was looking to do a manual conversion. After sitting down with her and working out the costs... I decided to straight swap the cars with $800 my way. I then pulled the SR20 out with the Auto box and sold this to some random for $800.

With this, I purchased a Mc Kinney motorsport RB25det conversion kit from Raw Brokerage in the states. The bug bit again and I started work on the car - Doing heaps of research I decided I would fit every bit I possibly could from the Skyline.

I fitted up the RB25det motor and RB25det gearbox - Lined up MINT with the kit and sat low enough to clear the bonnet first go without spacing. I pulled out the rear cradle and sold that off and fitted the R33 GTS-T cradle. This gave me the bigger brakes, 5 stud, better diff and extra track - Pretty decent upgrade! Only thing I needed was the alloy offset rack spacers (Never hit the chassis like others have experienced)IMG_5269.JPG

IMG_5415.JPG

Engine mounted and sitting in there:

IMG_5265.JPG

Then enlisted the help of my friend Jono and wired the car up had it running in the first few hours and felt good!

While the car was sitting there unregistered - I decided to strip some weight - Removed all the sound deadening in the car, boot and doors (Took F**KING AGES - Not until after I had done it, did people tell me to use dry ice >.

Sprayed the area's with random paint to prevent any future rust (Using a chisel and hammer to remove the sound dead)

I bought some cheap 2nd hand coilovers for $300 a set of 4 - Fitted them to the car and put it all back together. Took it for its first few drivers and the thing was great. Having only driven the standard R33GTS-T - Jumping into a light S13 with the same motor was great! Had real traction issues with the 205 16"s that were on it.

Decided that I would do the "Onevia" conversion due to the front of the Silvia having some massive damage to the bar. Found a BARGAIN online - Free Veilside front bar and Fibreglass bonnet / 40mm front guards for $200 all up! So grabbed them and slapped them on. Was starting to look a bit more completed but I was no where near happy with it. Knowing I wanted to race the car when it was completed.

I started having some talks with Phil from CARTEL ONLINE - The man was great and put up with me for months pestering him. Ended up spending a fair bit there to get my handling bits.

Ended up getting pretty much the entire catalogue

Drifworks CS2 Coilovers / Driftworks Adjustable arms (Everyone one of them) / Front and Rear Geomaster Knuckles / 4 Point harness / Oil cooler / Rota Torque 17 x 9 +15 wheels with Federal RSR Semi's (To begin until I learn to drive fast =P) / braided brake lines - clutch / Nardi DW wheel etc

Note to all playing at home - Geomasters + LCA's + 17's are pretty bad

IMG_6083.JPG

Ended up having to grind the lower bolt down.

IMG_6096.JPG

I personally would of stuck with the Silvia front end

Typically - My browser dies and I can't upload pictures now....

From here we basically neatened everything off and went to get it registered!

Had a few fun Mt run cruises and general night shenanigans - Still wasn't feeding my need so went back at it...

Bought a Cusco 6 point bolt in cage and fitted that up (Thanks Beau @ Field Garage for a great deal)

Also bought a set of wide fenders from Slide Industries - After a few months - I ended up getting my money back and Phil came to the rescue again - Hooking me up with a set of 50mm genuine G - Corporation guards (As far as we are aware, the only ones in Australia)

Cut and re-welded the wheel arches to stop the wheels grinding on hard cornering. Big shout out to Aaron @ Splintered customs for the fab work.

The guards were then moulded on and the car sent down the coast for paint. (Where is currently is now)

Purchase a new front bar - 180SX Vanquish front bar. Also have been in talks with Damien from Racing Ready online with the next stage of the build - Namely - Full AreoFlow E85 setup with 57L fuel cell. Haltech ECU and some other bits and pieces!

Waiting on a new Sparco Circuit plus seat + rails from Damien and then it's full steam ahead when the paint is completed. I'm hoping to start racing / having fun with the Outlaw boys March onwards if all goes well.

Car is completely stock motorwise - Just some reliablity upgrades - Last thing I want is bits breaking.

Im talking with a bunch of people currently, but my main goal is to get out on track and get some seat time and see how many times I get lapped per race haha...

Any questions / advice etc shoot! Always looking for new friends and advice =)

Hopefully will post more pictures soon...

I personally would of stuck with the Silvia front end

I was tossing that up - I liked the look of the Vanquish front end - I can mount the Oil cooler and power steering cooler at each side with a large opening for the Radiator / Intercooler and can dusct the smaller vents to the front brakes.

The Aero didn't look too bad - But I'm not going to play with Aero AT ALL until I can drive the car properly.

Would have stuck with the silvia front end also for air flow but i'm sure you'll make it work. I have no idea why your cradle didn't rub on the chassis rails. You look like you have the same offset bushes as me and I've got an R33 cradle also, but glad it gave you no trouble. Do you offset bushes protrude through the top of the cradle holes?

Would have stuck with the silvia front end also for air flow but i'm sure you'll make it work. I have no idea why your cradle didn't rub on the chassis rails. You look like you have the same offset bushes as me and I've got an R33 cradle also, but glad it gave you no trouble. Do you offset bushes protrude through the top of the cradle holes?

Nope - It sat perfectly flush with the top! Mind you - I fitted them around the wrong way first they had to drop it and change them... Pain in the ass. Learning as I go =)

I saw your thread and where yours hit, mine are flush there - But not jammed / hitting. So it should be fine.

Just glad it fit alright

Can't wait to have the car back from paint to start hitting the tracks.

Just got home - Uploader is working so spamIMG_5213.JPGIMG_6070.JPGIMG_6552.JPGIMG_5259.JPGIMG_6558.JPG8161236284_c669caca90_b.jpg622615_184238758367422_657242665_o.jpging some more photos.

Should be good once it's finished. My cradle hit as well, not sure why yours wouldn't.

Hurry up and get it finished so you can come join us.

Should be good once it's finished. My cradle hit as well, not sure why yours wouldn't.

Hurry up and get it finished so you can come join us.

Hopefully by end of Feb / March! Not sure if i'll come out right away - Need a little experience first. Wednesday nights at QR is exciting for me =)

Love the build, sounds and looks excellent so far! You seem to have a knack for grabbing a bargain. Some great lessons there!

starting out with a few track days or practice days at your local circuit where you can lap for like 20 mins.sessions.

You can learn the track and build your confidence before jumping straight into any competition.

Love the build, sounds and looks excellent so far! You seem to have a knack for grabbing a bargain. Some great lessons there! starting out with a few track days or practice days at your local circuit where you can lap for like 20 mins.sessions. You can learn the track and build your confidence before jumping straight into any competition.

That's what I'm aiming for. Go and hit up QR as OFTEN as I can. I really need to learn to limits before I race - But i'm still very keen to jump in the deep end - So long as I don't slow the guys down too much!

I'm going ok with bargains lately! Found a very helpful person @ Mercury to help with the ECU and tuning. Also, my good friend @ Racing Ready online has quoted me up on a full E85 setup. Full Aeroflow fittings + surge + fuel cell + all lines + 2000cc injectors etc etc. Damien there is a LEGEND for products and deals - Getting my racing suit, seat etc.

I have the car pulled apart now, ready for paint, sanded and cleaned up - There is only one issue....

I CAN'T DECIDE ON A F**KING COLOUR!

Anyone want to help me out with this? Was thinking dark blue, black, teal/aqua etc etc...

I'm just so lost...

Would love some input and idea's

Cal you want your sil80 looking that gay don't you?

Black or white, easy to repair chips/cracks and easy to paint a splitter if this is going to be a track weapon.

noooo not dark blue, thats my colour in the sports and sedans lol

It's alright, im 99% sure i've decided on a colour now. Wont be stealing your thunder - It is a blue tho =)

Cal you want your sil80 looking that gay don't you?

Black or white, easy to repair chips/cracks and easy to paint a splitter if this is going to be a track weapon.

Was thinking of white - But theres 100 like it.

I don't like the pink at all. Pearl + metallic is going to be HORRIBLE when I come off and hit something to repair.

Small update: Dual thermo + shroud arrived last week. I've also sourced a seat rail for the sparco. I've spent the last few weeks cleaning out the old mans shed, so I can fit the car inside, and finish the paint (As the first place I had arranged to paint my car in fell through...) So over the next few weeks I should get the car into the shed and finish stripping it and have it painted in a month or so! Also, managed to scoop a great deal with a S15 dash and centre console, should be arriving from VIC in the next few weeks. Just lack of friends in the sport has killed my motivation to work on the car lately...

Go out to one of the race days for more motivation. You don't need a powerful car with the biggest wing and big $$ suspension to go out there. You'll gain more by just hitting the track and learning about what is/isn't working on the car.

Edited by Mase

I know that, I've done 3 or 4 days so far to get a feel for the car. A friend offered to paint the car for free and it got taken off the road. We then had 2 1/2 months of non stop rain - Then I lost the place I was able to paint it at - I'm trying my best to get it back on the road, just had to clear out a shed with 3 + shed's worth of crap in there... I've also started a 2nd job to help save / fund the build - I should hopefully have this all sorted in a month or 2 (God I hope...)

Oh I know the feeling of a free paint job. 2 week job turns out to be two months!

It's coming up on 3 now haha... I think I'm taking it into my own hands >.

ALRIGHT! So I now have a few things booked in. PAINT is booked in this weekend to be completed. Should be a nice looking blue =P Also booking it in to have a ECU fitted and tuned + haltech IQ3 data dash. Got some new seat rails from Phil @ Cartel. Getting closer to fitting into my seat - few kilos to go!! Very very excited, as I have booked and paid for the Hardtuned "Sparco Academy" on the 9th of next month! Hoping to get around the 1:05 or lower on the day around Norwell - Haven't driven in months so I highly doubt I will... Anyway, will be photo dumping next week when its all back together. IQ3 dash + S15 dash should look mint!

Anyone know how to upload images from a computer onto here? It isn't the same as it used too and I can't find the option! Want to put an update in!

upload them to photo bucket and then copy and paste the IMG tag in this thread

Alright, i'll do that tomorrow. Currently trying to find info on wiring a S15 cluster into a S13 loom - Not getting much luck - I can't seem to find the wiring diagram for the S15 + I don't have the plugs into the rear of the cluster... Might have to frakenstien it.

<a href=IMG_7548_zpsa2585a8f.jpg' alt='IMG_7548_Car has been painted! Will be taking photos of it when it's back together and the S15 dash has been fitted =)

Got the S15 dash fitted , bit if stuffing around but it looks ALOT neater than the S13. Just chasing a few extra parts, so if anyone knows anyone or can help out, let me know! S15 Instrument cluster / S15 Radio surround / S15 gear boot surround / S15 light grey glovebox / 1 x Completed S15 dash vent (Including the "cup" that holds it) IMG_7563_zpsaaf9d092.jpg

Oh, and a S15 dash airbag!

What's the logic on that conversion besides looking nicer? Is it lighter?

It's a little lighter - Just looks a whole lot neater - As the car's going to be driven to events etc - I want it to look presentable too - The previous dash was falling apart

Sign in to follow this