Sign in to follow this  
Nick Christensen

Outlaw QR Sports and Sedans S13 with FJ20 Race car (overview now on page 1)

Overview: FJ20 + Trust T518Z S13 280HP @ 17PSI 1250kg full fuel plus driver (55kgs wringing wet)

Stats so far:

Lakeside: 58.4 FZ201M 255 rear wing aero

QLD Raceway-

Sprint 57.7 FZ201M 255 Rear wing Aero

National 1:22.9 FZ201M 255 Rear wing Aero

Engine:

FJ20 out of Gazelle custom engine mounts and extended sump

280HP (208kW) at 17PSI on PULP

Microtech LT-8 ECU

Weisco Forged pistons

Trust T518Z turbo with 6boost manifold

3" exhaust

FMIC

Twin ford thermo fans on normal radiator

NPC button clutch with SR20 Gearbox with FJ bellhousing

R200 4.3 shimmed viscous diff

Small oil cooler with oil filter relocation

Suspension:

CST zero 1 front HSD rear Coilovers (no idea what rates)

Adjustable camber and toe arms

27mm Whiteline adjustable rear ARB

S14 front uprights and 5 stud conversion with S14 longer lower arms

R33 rear 5 stud conversion

Brakes:

R34 GT front discs and calipers R33 Rears

GTR master cylinder

Ferodo DS2500? pads

Interior:

6 Point weld in cage with removable side intrusions

Most of interior stripped leaving only dash and glove box

Sparco removable steering wheel hub

Oil pressure and temperature guages

Battery relocated to behind passenger seat

2L Surge tank installed in boot with Walbro 255 inline pump

Microtech Dashboard Display

5 Point Harness

1kg Fire extinguisher

Chassis:

Front and rear guardes rolled and flared

BN body kit

Gday guys and gals. I've recently bought and S13 with an FJ20 motor in it. Doing a bit of a write up on it and its racing career through 2013. Have chucked a whole heap of pics and vids to deter the tl;dr feeling.

The car was originally owned by Paul from Option 1 Garage at eagle farm QLD, which he built from a shell.

Car had all the interior in it so i began stripping it back and pulling all the stuff i didnt need in the car out.

Post (3).jpg

Post (4).jpg

Post (5).jpg

Post (6).jpg

Post (7).jpg

Post (8).jpg

From its drifting days i assume it had some nasty cuts in the lume in the wheel arches so i began the painful task of moving those into the engine bay

Post (9).jpg

Post (10).jpg

Post (11).jpg

Post (12).jpg

Post (13).jpg

Post (14).jpg

Bought 2nd hand dash unit on ebay for my microtech ecu. Few features are usefull on it like the lights and water temp and boost gauge.

Post (15).jpg

Post (16).jpg

Installed a battery isolator in the metal peice that houses that linkages for the windscreen wipers

Post (17).jpg

Post (18).jpg

Post (19).jpg

Post (20).jpg

Post (21).jpg

Post (22).jpg

:(

Post (23).jpg

Installed a little fire extinguisher incase of an accident

Post (24).jpg

car wash

Post (26).jpg

Post (27).jpg

Parted with my baby for a week for a 6 point weld in cage. Work was done by STZ in Northgate. Really happy with their work, was spot on :D

Post (28).jpg

Post (29).jpg

Post (30).jpg

Post (31).jpg

Some parts that went into the car over the last few weeks.

Post (33).jpg

Spent the arvo watching the v8s and cutting with a junior hacksaw blade and file to recess the oil temp and pressure gauges back out of the way. Works really well with plenty of vision without being in your eyes.

Post (34).jpg

Post (35).jpg

Wasn't happy with the length on the wires that i cut and shut so i shortened them a little more to make it look a bit better. Of course it was on the fuse box side with the most wires :(

Post (36).jpg

Moved the battery into the car behind the passenger seat which then utilised the battery isolator.

Post (37).jpg

Post (38).jpg

Had a mate around one arvo so he gave me a hand setting up the harness onto the harness bar.

Post (39).jpg

Post (40).jpg

Post (48).jpg

Where the relocation for the oil filter will sit and its points for temperature and pressure monitoring.

Post (41).jpg

Gauges at night

Post (42).jpg

Post (43).jpg

Took the car around to the uncles place to do some work on his hoist. Alot easier than doing it on the ground. New rear anti roll bar set to hard

Post (44).jpg

Post (45).jpg

Post (46).jpg

random view of seating position

Post (47).jpg

Had a few dramas with the lines and fittings that came with the oil cooler/filter relocation kit. Got 2 sent up from down south as replacements which seem to be holding up. Have ordered another sandwhich plate that bolts onto block after hearing news of a few splitting from engine torque and hose movement.

Post (49).jpg

Post (50).jpg

Post (51).jpg

Painted the cage and removable side instrusions

Post (52).jpg

Federal FZ201 M 235 fronts and 255 rears bought 2nd hand off Callum Whatmore :) cheers bud

Post (53).jpg

Quick release steering wheel to make it easier getting in and out on race days when seat is all the way forward (for short ass 174cm) and side intrusion bars in.

Post (54).jpg

Post (55).jpg

Post (56).jpg

Post (57).jpg

First day down at QR :) blew radiator :( quick trip to option 1 garage for free replacement :D cheers guys

Post (58).jpg

Post (59).jpg

Plan was to run KU36 road tyres for the morning then swap onto the semi slicks in the afternoon but with lost sessions mid day i decided to run the road tyres all day. Ran a 1:24.9 pb on QR national circuit with no aero to get the car moving and get used to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StMmFXmfCVc&list=UU4ouUoRcUuj9eE1ybolHXUg&index=6&feature=plcp

Practise day wasn't without breakages after the rad, water pump shit itself on the shaft seal so new one of those in.

Post (60).jpg

Fuel surges were becoming a drama under half a tank of fuel so installed the tank and did some line re-routing and installed a walbro 255 pump then off to STZ for a tune :)

Post (62).jpg

Made 280RWHP

Post (63).jpg

Numbers on ready for its first sprint day at QR on the 18/11/12

Post (64).jpg

1st session at street sprints was great, well the 1/2 warmup lap was :( throttle cable bracket snapped wtf. A heap of cable ties later lol back in the track burning some rubber. Fastest lap was on lap 3 with a huge (felt big but doesnt look it) moment into t1. PB of 57.75 sprint track layout at QR. Beat a twin turbo NSX on the day which was an outright win of all 4 classes woohoo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2AvfHHVWgE&list=UU4ouUoRcUuj9eE1ybolHXUg&index=2&feature=plcp

New throttle cable bracket, i will not brag about my stick welding as it is crap and i know it, far from a boily.

Post (65).jpg

Feel free to subscribe to my youtube channel and check out my other vids :)

http://www.youtube.c...ser/SykoSkipy01

Post (61).jpg

DSCF8369 - Copy.JPG

Edited by Nick Christensen

Looks the goods!

So what's your plans for the racing season? Regular sprint days?

Top effort on the 57 pass on the sprint circuit. What was the cost of your cage?

Cool car. One thing that I'm curious about is your battery isolator. Does it have secondary terminals for cutting other circuits? If not, it's a waste of time having it for safety as in the event of an accident that thing won't cut power if the motor is still running.

Cool car. One thing that I'm curious about is your battery isolator. Does it have secondary terminals for cutting other circuits? If not, it's a waste of time having it for safety as in the event of an accident that thing won't cut power if the motor is still running.

Hey mate thanks, good question. What ive done is taken all the positive connections that would normally have happened in the original battery position and run a 35mm cable from there (one joint) to the isolator, out of the isolator then to the positive of the battery. So the isolator cuts 12V from everything in the car. Ill draw a pic it would be easier to explain.

Untitled.png

Yeah, I figured as much. But as I said, if the car is running, it's still not going to 'isolate' power from anything. I'm an auto sparky by trade ;) You need a certain type of isolator switch that has dual contacts in it, so that you can cut part of the circuit to the alternator otherwise when you flick your isolator off, the battery will be disconnected, but the alternator will be powering everything still.

ahhh i see what you mean. would the alternator still generate enough current at idle to supply the fuel system and ignition though? Or would it just fall in a heap?

Edited by Nick Christensen

They're very respectable times Nick for a first go, I'd be pretty pleased. Especially with that loo wish power figure!!

Looking good Nick. Keen for next season :D .

It doesn't say anywhere in our rules that the battery isolator needs to stop the engine... You can get a 6 terminal one that you can cut the alternator with if you need it though.

Looking good Nick. Keen for next season biggrin.png .

It doesn't say anywhere in our rules that the battery isolator needs to stop the engine... You can get a 6 terminal one that you can cut the alternator with if you need it though.

May not be in the rules, but if it's there for safety, what's the point?

think a fair few of the rules are for the old carby'd v8 bombers that dont run ECU's and stuff

step1 dont crash

step2 if you do, turn the key off

i use a 100a fuse right next to the positive of the batt, so hopefully if anything broke/grounded thatd just pop pretty quickly

Edited by scooby36

my main safety concern was electrical fires in a crash rather than the marshalls turning the car off assuming im not unconscious in the event of a crash. Yep same cal, just got it fused at 150A, just carry a few 3" nails for backup :P

New resonator fitted today as the other one had a hole on the backside of it. Ol mate that did it has a hyundai excell that has a little turbo off a ca18 i think he said bolted onto it. Keep an eye out for it at LS, TNT exhaust stickers on it

I use powerdirector 10, it seems to work pretty well. I'm sure there's a copy of it you could get from a torrent site...

Any reason you're pumping the brake before T1? The only time I've had to do it was in a long race on the national circuit when the brakes were overheated.

does it do the picture in picture stuff without screwing the quality? the rims and tires werent completely balanced and was getting feedback sometimes so was just making sure pads werent getting rattled back or anything stupid.

Yeah seems to work ok, I've only used it to overlay the racechrono2avi stuff though.

Fair enough then, it's usually ok unless your rotors are warped as well.

First day out at Lakeside Park yesterday. What a track! Had an absolute ball and the car was great with only 1 little problem towards the end of the day. Got the times down to low 59s with a pb of 58.9 by the end of the day. Heres some footage:

Great times for your first time there. Car looks really stable too.

After seeing the car IRL and watching you over take me at Karrousel I can tell you have a well setup car. Great stuff, sure to do well in racing.

FJ20? f**k yeah... how did I not see this sooner?

Motor looks pretty comfortable in that engine bay. Do you know if the motor is from a DR30 or S12?

+1 for more info on the FJ!!!

Standard, or had some work done to it?

Thanks guys. Not sure where the motor came from, sent the guy who built the car a msg so will post the response :) i just drive the thing :P also nice 15 clint, it did catch my eye on the track

yeah, already purchased lol. Shame my car is still sporting Drift Damage :|

nice work with the car. Hopefully ill be out there in my 13 next year

Sign in to follow this