Sign in to follow this  
Adrenaline.freak

The best cams for disco potato?

Hey I got a s14 black top from s15 wanting to make a safe 300 hp so I already got some of the parts,

I decided to go with the Garret gt2861rs disco potato turbo but was wondering what cams best go with this turbo on the sr,and would 550cc injectors be inoff or 750cc would be a better choice? I don't wanna Boost it any higher then 16 psi.

Things I already have

Z32 fuel filter

Z32 AFM

Bosch fuel pump

Big inter cooler

Race radiator

3 inch exhaust

Rocker arm stoppers

Apexi power fc ecu

Any help is much appreciated on this topic thank you.

how does the radiator help make power? :P and why only 16?

any set of "step 1" cams will be fine.

injectors depend on the fuel you wanna run. 98 they will be fine, E85 they will be too small.

Lol yeah why did I even write that haha I don't wanna go over 16 psi because apperanly I have to change the head gasket and other bits if I wanna use high boosts.

Any brand is good if it's stage 1?

Which ones have yous used with good results?

And with this setup can I expect the 300 hp on 16 psi?

I'm defenetly going to unigroup in Sydney to get it tuned he told me it will take 3 days I've heard good things about them everywhere.

standard headgasket is fine with plenty more than that.

can't really comment on brands, perhaps check out the turbo reference thread and compare results

I chose poncams and type A springs. Redtop s13 motor on 15psi with very similar setup made 310 Hp at powertune. Buy the 740cc injectors so you have some room for more power in the future......they are almost the same price.

If changing the cams should I change the valve springs?what benefits would it have ? And how much more can the stock gasket take safely?and how do I know if the injectors I'm buying I won't have to get different fuel railing?

Thanks for the information to both of yaz

All the information is here mate, do a search. As suggested check out the turbo upgrade thread, look at build threads. Research a bit like we all had to. You'll find your answers.

seen dudes making like 400 rwhp with stocko HG.

i'd be changing springs for piece of mind, and just make sure the injectors are a straight fit IE: nismo

Id go the 740cc injectors it allows you room if you want to go more boost without having to remove them again.

On the 550cc you will max out at around 240rwkw, which you wont achieve at 16PSI anyway.

Id let the tuner make the decisions how the engine is going and what boost, but with a turbo like that id low boost 16psi high boost 20psi.

With a good boost controller it should hold a steady 20PSI the whole way but Garrett turbos seem to come factory with the junkiest wastegate springs at like 14pIS so it may begin to drop off later in the rev range so you may need to upgrade to a higher pressure spring something like 18PSI just over 1Bar will be good.

In regards to your actual question 256/256 is a good combination i ran 256/264 in mine on a similar turbo, stick to TOMEI and you wont have any problems :)

My mate runs basicly the same setup (only difference is a haltec ECU and cams) and makes just over 300hp with step 2 BC cams. Made 280hp before cams

He is also using 550cc injectors

Edited by JLTS13

Most step one cams state you can use the std valve springs. But change them if you can afford it.

The easy cams are pretty hard to find these days. The Tomei Poncams say they are straight drop ins but I wouldn't risk it. Better to be safe IMO.

So stage 1 cams with springs,750 cc nismo injectors,adjustable actuator with 1.23 bar spring,disco potato?

Should I expect at least 320 hp at 18 psi?oh and do I have to buy braided turbo lines or would the stock ones survive 2 or 3 month after the setup is done?

Would all this be safe?

Thanks for your help everyone

Sorry if you have already stated this, but if you already have the disco installed with the hard lines then they should be fine.

If you still have to install the turbo then def get braided lines bro. 100 times easier to work with. They are not that expensive if you are happy to make the lines up yourself.

I got some braided hose and Earls fittings for $90, and just cut them and made them up.

You are reaching that turbos max output at 320hp. YOu will def want more soon enough.....just sayin!!

I'll have to buy a few things before the lines but when I look into it ill pm you thanks And the turbo is not in yet I wanna do it all at once then take it to unigroup.

Thanks I know I'll want more hp after I drive on the 320 hp for a few months so I'm gonna look into rb26dett or 2jz swap later those engine are capable of great things 0.o so is the sr but you won't make reliable 500hp in stock internals in sr for a few years :)

Why does everyone bitch about the hard lines? Really not that bad.

Lol because I'm having second thoughts about my great goal of hp lol but Im half way through it I've already changed engine, gearbox etc I'm starting to think I should've went with the rb26dett or the 2jz with the same amount I paid for engine gear box installing more parts and getting it tuned etc I couldve already bought the engine :( lol oh well Ill be wiser next time lol :D

By the time you add everything up including custom work to fit them in your mind will propably explode when you realise how much it will cost you.

As Bling said if you think it is as easy as buy engine, install engine......you should probably steer clear.

If you wanna do that by all means go ahead, but you can biuld a perfectly tough and reliable SR and make more than enough power than 95% of people realistically need.

Yeah the engine rb26debt for 4000$ the mount is like 400-600$ to out into s14 not sure about the gearbox or the tailshaft but it's not far off from the amount I've spent to get s14 engine gear box installing it and diffrent parts and how do I check if my s14 is jdm or s14a I know it's a noob question so easy with the pay outs lol

S14a doesn't mean S14 Australian.

A just defines 'series 2'

and in regards to now talking about RB26/2JZ..

DERP-for-you-house-md-fans-17646994-500-375.jpg

Oh god lol I just bought a apexi power fc ecu that's for s14a/s15 would this fir on my car if it's series 1?!!?!!? Shhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeett

If your still learning if you have a s1 or s2 please forget about 2j and 26. If you do it yourself it'll be 10k. If you don't (which by the sounds of it is more likely) it'll cost you 20k.