Sign in to follow this  
TheApothecary

Kids banned from saying "gay" - Political Correctness Yo.

I cant see it being a big deal, its not cotton wool, its trying to stop youth suicide.

It is the cotton wool approach, they should be teaching tolerance, acceptance and thoughtfulness along with teaching about "being ok with who you are" and "everybody's different" and shit like that which applies to the whole planet not simply banning every word that could offend one singular group, where do you stop banning words if i create a lifestyle tomoro and its builds a following and i then say that my lifestyles "group" are offended by the word "hello" do schools then ban hello, what about pedo's im sure they are offended by being called that just because "they were born loving young children inappropriately" do we stop our students using the words pedo in a bad connotation??, its sounds ridiculous because it really is that ridiculous

As a self identified dyke (who rides a bike lol), I know that this CAN hurt people. Shit like this caused me to self harm for 5 years, until I realised its ok to be who you are and want to be.

Self harm for 5 years? What the f**k is wrong with you.

I got teased excessively [on a daily basis] for over a year in primary school because it was an aussie school and I had a very English accent (I'm straight, so no homo).

People would make up all sorts of bullsh*t, and having had conversations with gay people about their past, none of my experiences were better than problems they had.

Did I cry, change or get depressed? Hell no. If someone got in my face, I'd let them know about it, but otherwise I continued to dominate both sport and exams.

Personally, I can't relate to someone who reacts to outside pressure by getting upset.

Although I use other methods in preference to physical violence or shouting, my immediate mental response is to crush them.

Edited by pmod

I cant see it being a big deal, its not cotton wool, its trying to stop youth suicide.

It is the cotton wool approach, they should be teaching tolerance, acceptance and thoughtfulness along with teaching about "being ok with who you are" and "everybody's different" and shit like that which applies to the whole planet not simply banning every word that could offend one singular group, where do you stop banning words if i create a lifestyle tomoro and its builds a following and i then say that my lifestyles "group" are offended by the word "hello" do schools then ban hello, what about pedo's im sure they are offended by being called that just because "they were born loving young children inappropriately" do we stop our students using the words pedo in a bad connotation??, its sounds ridiculous because it really is that ridiculous

This really annoys me

PAEDOPHILIA HAS A f**king "A" IN IT.

...in Australia (where we dont speak American), its paedo, not pedo, if kids are going to insult each other they should at least do it with proper English.

Lol that's never going to happen; have you used facebook?

Lol that's never going to happen; have you used facebook?

Facebook is gay

yes I have

As a self identified dyke (who rides a bike lol), I know that this CAN hurt people. Shit like this caused me to self harm for 5 years, until I realised its ok to be who you are and want to be.

Self harm for 5 years? What the f**k is wrong with you.

I got teased excessively [on a daily basis] for over a year in primary school because it was an aussie school and I had a very English accent (I'm straight, so no homo).

People would make up all sorts of bullsh*t, and having had conversations with gay people about their past, none of my experiences were better than problems they had.

Did I cry, change or get depressed? Hell no. If someone got in my face, I'd let them know about it, but otherwise I continued to dominate both sport and exams.

Personally, I can't relate to someone who reacts to outside pressure by getting upset.

Not everyone is the same dude, some people genuinely have depression and/or mental illness. Depression isn't like feeling sad, or what a normal person would experience when they say "i'm depressed". It seems like you didn't suffer depression, which is great, but some people do, and it is a legit medical condition. Not many people can relate, but that's the point, it's not common.

If someone's truly suffering from depression, it's hard to break through, even with a completely logical argument against whatever they're doing to harm themselves, often, the depressed person even realises what they're doing at the time is f**king stupid, but they do it anyway. It's part of the illness.

In any case, I agree with one of the above posters, I don't agree with banning, but I do agree with educating kids. Kids can be little f**ks, and too many of them are dumb as shit. Now, honestly, the worlds population is probably the best educated it's ever been, but it's not good enough IMO. We can do better, and the smarter and less ignorant kids and people are, the less people will say stupid shit to upset others, and the less others will be offended.

Edited by bootlegapparel

Not everyone is the same dude, some people genuinely have depression and/or mental illness. Depression isn't like feeling sad, or what a normal person would experience when they say "i'm depressed". It seems like you didn't suffer depression, which is great, but some people do, and it is a legit medical condition. Not many people can relate, but that's the point, it's not common.

If someone's truly suffering from depression, it's hard to break through, even with a completely logical argument against whatever they're doing to harm themselves, often, the depressed person even realises what they're doing at the time is f**king stupid, but they do it anyway. It's part of the illness.

Yeah, what you say is quite true. I was just being a d*ck because I've had some exposure to it courtesy of housemates, played Dr phil, endured the denial, etc.

The comment "Shit like this caused me to self harm for 5 years" is classic denial, and if she has moved past that point in her life, she should at least recognise that the fundamental problem is her. If it weren't teasing, it would be something else.

Edited by pmod

I'm a nerd, so I've had the teasing, etc, years and years of depression etc and I'm still pretty confident that I wouldn't have wanted to remove a word from people's vocabulary.

In the end i began to tone it down a bit with the gay word bashing and he figured it wasnt directed at him and he wouldnt fire up so much although he would give my monitor a shake as a warning flare lol.

You realise thats considered foreplay.

Agreed, he totally felt you up dude.

That's one step away from sucking a dick.

Oh what the fvck man :(

Yeah, racism was once defined as promoting your race above all others. Now it's just a emotional-attached word that anyone pulls out so they get sympathy and some attention.

opt instead for racialized fetishizing against Asian women

Yeah, because the Japanese haven't been doing that for centuries? Heh

So if a Japanese woman was wearing that outfit (and it's a nice outfit, I might add), would they all be sooking about how it stereotypifies Japanese women?

The answer is probably. Because that's how f**ked up society is these days. Everything needs a label, and some drama attached to it.