Sign in to follow this  
KidDynamite

Removal of wisdom teeth under general or fully knocked out?

Hey guys,

Just need some everyday advice that hopefully some members have been through before looks like I might have to get my wisdom teeth removed in the near future not sure as yet but what path did most member go down when yours had to be removed?

I got 2 options to be under general and the area will be numbed and they will yank the teeth out when im wide awake and have a chance of feeling it hopefully not or go to hospital and be fully knocked out while they do there business and i wake up next time and there all out without seeing what they do.

I know its gonna cost alot of money to be done at the hospital to be knocked out compared to get it done in the chair what are peoples experiences and advice on would be patients that need wisdom teeth removed?

i got 2 proper f**ked ones taken out in the chair under local aneasthetic, i was fully awake. Mongrel experience but the end result was no more pain so it was good. People used to die from wisdom teeth back in the day getting infected n shit...

General anesthetic will always be a better experience, it just depends on what incentive you have to go with local.

local can sometimes be quicker and easier as it can be done at the dentist. Probably cheaper too.

Problem is sometimes the local anesthetic can be ineffective and you can still feel some of the pain.

Your mouth will be completely numb for hours afterwards (you have to resist the urge to bite your lip lol) and some people have trouble not drooling because their lips are too numb to work properly.

The worst bit in my opinion though is the fact that the local has to be applied with a big f**koff syringe stuck into your gums.

It depends on your priorities dude.

Edited by Chappy

General anesthetic will always be a better experience, it just depends on what incentive you have to go with local.

local can sometimes be quicker and easier as it can be tone at the dentist. Probably cheaper too.

Problem is sometimes the local anesthetic can be ineffective and you can still feel some of the pain.

Your mouth will be completely numb for hours afterwards (you have to resit the urge to bite your lip lol) and some people have trouble not drooling because their lips are too numb to work properly.

The worst bit in my opinion though is the fact that the local has to be applied with a big f**koff syringe stuck into your gums.

It depends on your priorities dude.

that syringe hurts like a *I love my mum*!

Unless there is something that may cause complications, they will always be done via local.

Every person is different, but my experience was after a few painful local injection stabs, the rest didn't hurt.

Swelling went down by the end of the night too - unlike some people i have seen with puffy faces for days.

i had 1 of mine taken out with a local, it's not fun

it's so not fun that i currently have a broken wisdom tooth, thats been broken for about 6 months but i'm too much of a wuss to get it taken out

Edited by Stig Mick

Depends what your dentist suggests. I had two out due to one decaying and the other not having something to wear against. Did it under a local and was fine (one tooth the size of a 5c coin) and was able to drive afterwards. Just sucked for the next few days eating just soft foods and very little of haha

2012-08-01 18.06.45.jpg

i had four front teeth removed under a local for when i had braces. it didn't hurt too much but took me a few days to recover.

about 6 months ago i had 4 wisdom teeth pulled under general. had to have my gums cut, packed and stitched and i still managed to smash a kfc meal the same day before bed. you definitely recover a lot quickly from a general.

if your in Melbourne i went to a place and the whole procedure cost me $2190 which i got back $175 from Medicare.

Edited by Jarryd F

I had mine under a 'twilight' which is like general but your whole body is doped up, not just your mouth. They were ripping teeth out, snapping them off my jaw cos one was growing backwards, and apparently I asked if I could keep them. Then on the way home I was dancing in the car to some crappy pop song. Missus had great fun telling me all about this.

Cheap night out ;) haha

I had my four removed at the hospital was there for roughly half a day total.

Mrs had 4 taken out in the chair, without health insurance it will cost more than double to go general.

I had 2 teeth removed using local, and then 5 wisdom teeth out under general. Neither was as bad as I thought. When you're awake, you don't feel anything, but you can hear everything going on which is a bit freaky. You can feel something in your jaw grinding and twisting as the teeth are being plucked out. After, however, you feel fine, just a bit numb. With general you wake up and it's done, but you will feel out of it for the rest of the day.

Had 4 out under general in hospital.

Lots of swelling and pain the next few days but nothing too bad.

i had four front teeth removed under a local for when i had braces. it didn't hurt too much but took me a few days to recover.

about 6 months ago i had 4 wisdom teeth pulled under general. had to have my gums cut, packed and stitched and i still managed to smash a kfc meal the same day before bed. you definitely recover a lot quickly from a general.

man, you must be the luckiest wisdom teeth survivor alive :lol:

I was knocked out for mine (I don't remember having a choice of a local or a general, but this was 10 years ago now). Was out of it when i woke up, dribbling blood and spit everywhere. Couldn't open my mouth properly for at least a week and had to live on liquid food for that time plus a bit more. Chewing hurt like f**k and now my jaw cracks all the time on the right side when I open my mouth too far (yawning, etc). Having the choice again tho, I'd definitely go for the knock out. I've had so much f**king dental work and have had pain nearly every time. Knock out ftw.

Edited by pyro

I've got to get one of mine out. It caved in, so it's hollow in the top. Gotta keep digging bits of food out with a tooth pick. I'm too broke to get it fixed. I might try and convince them to clean it out, and fill it for the time being, as it's not causing me any pain or anything like that.

If it does have to come out, I'm going under. I've had 4 teeth removed in the past under local, as I was getting braces. Two in one day was enough for me. Ended up make two extra trips for the other two. By the time I had the fourth one done, I man'd up a bit as the needles were worse than the tooth pulling. One other bad thing was the pliers where they pivot was tearing the shit out of my lips and the corners of my mouth. At one visit, one of my teeth must've been playing hardball, so the butcher, I mean dentist, climbed up on the chair, almost caving my hip in with his knee in the process.

Unless there is something that may cause complications, they will always be done via local.

Every person is different, but my experience was after a few painful local injection stabs, the rest didn't hurt.

Swelling went down by the end of the night too - unlike some people i have seen with puffy faces for days.

You are obviously not a dental surgeon. They are not always done via local. They are done however you choose for them to get done.

I had to get all four out and one was impacted. So I elected to go under a general and get it all done at one.

To be honest OP, whether it is a local or general is irrelevant. It really depends on the skill of the anaethetist and the surgeon. The lower your blood pressure during the operation and the more careful the incision and removal of the teeth and roots, the less likely you are to have complications or lasting pain.

Bad luck OP. I've never had any cavities or issues with my teeth, but I know enough people who have had a rough time with it.

I've got to get one of mine out. It caved in, so it's hollow in the top. Gotta keep digging bits of food out with a tooth pick. I'm too broke to get it fixed. I might try and convince them to clean it out, and fill it for the time being, as it's not causing me any pain or anything like that.

If it does have to come out, I'm going under. I've had 4 teeth removed in the past under local, as I was getting braces. Two in one day was enough for me. Ended up make two extra trips for the other two. By the time I had the fourth one done, I man'd up a bit as the needles were worse than the tooth pulling. One other bad thing was the pliers where they pivot was tearing the shit out of my lips and the corners of my mouth. At one visit, one of my teeth must've been playing hardball, so the butcher, I mean dentist, climbed up on the chair, almost caving my hip in with his knee in the process.

Ha sounds like me half mine is missing so foods always getting stuck in it

And when I had one pulled the dentist put his knee on my chest to get leverage

He was sweating like a pig, not a good experience

Heh, I told him after that one, I wasnt paying the bill if he pulled that stunt again.

Big talk, coming from a 14 year old :lol:

You are obviously not a dental surgeon. They are not always done via local. They are done however you choose for them to get done.

I had to get all four out and one was impacted. So I elected to go under a general and get it all done at one.

To be honest OP, whether it is a local or general is irrelevant. It really depends on the skill of the anaethetist and the surgeon. The lower your blood pressure during the operation and the more careful the incision and removal of the teeth and roots, the less likely you are to have complications or lasting pain.

Sticking it to the man :lol:

Anyone in Melbourne that needs their wisdom teeth out and doesn't have the appropriate health insurance cover, or none at all. Check out this page. This is where I got it done, the practice is in the city and the day surgery was in st kilda. I thought it was dodgy going from a place that I found on the internet but this guy does like 3 patients a day. Was only in there for about 2.5 hours.

From memory it was like

$150 for consultation and 2 x-rays taken at the city

$970 for 4 teeth extracted

$500 for the anesthetist which i got back $170

$600 for the hospital

Link: http://www.wisdomdentalemergency.com.au/pricing

Edited by Jarryd F

man, you must be the luckiest wisdom teeth survivor alive laugh.png

I was knocked out for mine (I don't remember having a choice of a local or a general, but this was 10 years ago now). Was out of it when i woke up, dribbling blood and spit everywhere. Couldn't open my mouth properly for at least a week and had to live on liquid food for that time plus a bit more. Chewing hurt like f**k and now my jaw cracks all the time on the right side when I open my mouth too far (yawning, etc). Having the choice again tho, I'd definitely go for the knock out. I've had so much f**king dental work and have had pain nearly every time. Knock out ftw.

Yeah I heard horror stories like yours from people before I got mine out. In the end I guess its totally worth it. It keeps the rest of your teeth straight and I was getting pretty bad headaches all the time before they were removed.

Also the link I posted above, it seems like now they have someone in Sydney that does it as well.

Heh, I told him after that one, I wasnt paying the bill if he pulled that stunt again.

Big talk, coming from a 14 year old :lol:

I just payed the bill and ran out crying like a little girl....

I was 23

i had it done in hospital, had 3 out. wasn't too bad at first with painkillers i thought. but then one of the wounds got an infection (even though they gave me anti-biotics for it! :angry: )

Had to stay home a week longer than i originally thought as i couldn't sleep from this lol

It depends though, dentist will usually tell you anyway if it's best to have it done in the chair or at hospital...

Edited by Nissan_Gts

Anyone in Melbourne that needs their wisdom teeth out and doesn't have the appropriate health insurance cover, or none at all. Check out this page. This is where I got it done, the practice is in the city and the day surgery was in st kilda. I thought it was dodgy going from a place that I found on the internet but this guy does like 3 patients a day. Was only in there for about 2.5 hours.

From memory it was like

$150 for consultation and 2 x-rays taken at the city

$970 for 4 teeth extracted

$500 for the anesthetist which i got back $170

$600 for the hospital

Link: http://www.wisdomden....com.au/pricing

A good dentist shouldn't charge more than $150 per tooth if done by them only in the chair.

Yep and if you have health insurance you still get money back, so less than $100

Well OP, it looks like everybody got theirs done a different way. There is no one "best" way to go about it, you won't know until you've had them out how you will react.

All I can tell you was that I had mine out in two sessions under local in the chair. I had no swelling at all cause I must be a freak or something. In and out in 30 minutes, jaw is numb for about 4 hours. Much preffered this way to getting anesthatised and knocked out. Drove home almost straight after the appointment. Nowhere near as terrifying as I thought it would be, even if they were a little rough. Cost me roughly 1.2k, x-rays included.

Edited by _R_J_K_

Had 4 of mine pulled out under general anesthetic. I've got a theory there a bit more gentle when your in the chair because when I woke up the pain was pretty excruciating, much worse than I anticipated. Took a day for it to stop really hurting and had a swollen face for about 5 days. That said a few of my teeth were coming in almost 90 degrees crooked.

Mates have all had it done in the chair and none of them seemed to find it too bad. Maybe I'm just a wimp though.