Sign in to follow this  
earlyreflections

Anyone working in shipping / terminal operations?

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone here works in container shipping / terminal operations? I'm currently working for a shipping line in the vessel ops but looking to possibly venture out into the terminal side.

How did you get into terminal operations? Any qualifications / etc?

Cheers

i work for dp world im a straddle driver ! Easy job good to know someone to help get you in but i am a qualified mechanic which also helped plus third generation wharfie :thumb: pays really well down side is you dont know what you are working till the day before and the place runs 24hrs a day 365 days a year

i work for dp world im a straddle driver ! Easy job good to know someone to help get you in but i am a qualified mechanic which also helped plus third generation wharfie thumb.gif pays really well down side is you dont know what you are working till the day before and the place runs 24hrs a day 365 days a year

Nice one dude I'm sure you've developed some good neck muscles over your time driving straddles haha :P I always head down to DP World when our ships come in, would love to work down there! Even if its just starting out doing the lashing / etc.

lol yeah you do have to get use to having a sore neck i try to drive with the seat in the straight position as much as possible ! when you start there your first jobs are lashing and pins then you get trained up in the machines ! Big pluses for trying to get in is have your fork ticket and experience with heavy machinery just keep and eye out on the dpworld web site that is the only place they advertise other than word of mouth