Sign in to follow this  
Cooper

Boat people dont want help from Indonesians

As for the drowning at sea issue, honestly, I don't wish for these people to drown, but I don't particularly care if it happens either. After all, I've never met them, I didn't have any hand in selecting their boat, I didn't put them in it, I didn't chart their course and I didn't sway them away from the safer but less desirable alternatives.

The actual victims in this whole situation are both the people who are put at risk to rescue the boat assylum seekers, and the Australian public foot the bill.

At least that's my personal perspective. But then again, I'm a strong believer in making your own decisions, and facing the resulting causality.

One of the best replies in this thread

I was merely agreeing with chappy's post on the previous page with a different emphasis on people playing the race card. I wasn't attacking what you said at all, although on a look back it does indeed.

That kids is what happens when you skim read.

Okay so racism was a poor choice of word but you all knew what I meant. I'm not saying that any of you specifically are like that I'm saying that you need to separate the arguments between not wanting people to come here and not wanting people to die at sea because they are two separate issues.

The problem is that the two issues are not mutually exclusive to one another; the deaths of the boat people are a catalyst for the Australian Government to take certain actions that some people may not agree with. Were the passage to Australia safe and death-free, it would be fantastic for both the bleeding-hearts and the cold-hearted alike. In one camp, it's a win when people don't die, and in the other camp, it's a win when you can just refuel them and force them offshore, knowing the country won't be vilified as a monster in doing so.

An Achilles Heel of western first-world societies is the obsession with trying to stop people from harming or placing themselves in danger. Whether it's a prisoner on a hunger strike, a nutjob holding a knife to his throat, or a refugee sailing the Indian Ocean on a bucket taped to a few turtles, the trait is well-known and gets exploited on a regular basis.

Issues to do with cultural assimilation and refugees taking up gainful employment once they get to Australia are difficult as there are problems to do with education and training to make not only refugees but also long term unemployed more suitable for employment. There is also a great deal of debate about how best to integrate groups into society and how much original culture is actually able to be maintained without causing conflict within society. My only real objection is that the rhetoric is so negative and there is such a lack of compassion shown towards others.

I agree with what you've said, with the exception of the last point.

Empathy is the recognition of other people's feelings. Compassion is the recognition of feelings and the desire to help. Altrusim is [for the most part] the practical implementation of compassion.

Unless you meant 'the lack of empathy here is disappointing', then it's unreasonable to expect unconditional compassion, set the bar for what's 'positive' based on your perspective, then judge anything that differs from your personal view as being 'negative'.

Should you not expect compassion to be unconditional, then recognise that we're talking about an emotion here. With a different set of experiences and a different outlook, you too might assess the actions of the boat people and deem them unworthy of help. We live in a democracy. Empathy should be applied to the naysayers and refugess in equal measure.

Edited by pmod

No I mean compassion in that we should always desire to help others. It may not always be feasible to help others but people should come from a good place and with good intentions when they approach these issues. I do agree with your last post though and that level and quality of discussion is all I was trying to encourage with my post. People who are too far left and want to let everyone in without any thought of the repercussions aren't being logical in their discussions and those who want to sink the boats because f**k anyone else are being ridiculous as well. For most people who are more moderate then it can be discussed maturely and with a look to solutions that are in the best interests of both Australia and refugees. I just wanted the quality of discussion to be lifted and move away from left vs right wing back and forth arguments.

Edited by Toby_2410

I just wanted the quality of discussion to be lifted and move away from left vs right wing back and forth arguments.

For the most part this was happening prior to the stereotypical "dats wasis!" comments started.

Sure thete were some racist posts in here but they were largely in jest or born out of a basic explanation of somebodies views.

Its a car forum ffs, you will get crude responses to any topic.

Yes! this is exactly what we should be encouraging, go back and make your application like everybody else!

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/political-news/asylum-seeker-quits-nauru-for-sri-lanka-20120925-26ifj.html

A Sri Lankan man has become the first asylum-seeker on Nauru to abandon his application for refugee status and return home.

This follows a decision at the weekend by 18 asylum seekers on Christmas Island to return to Sri Lanka rather than be flown to Nauru.

Hop on a boat they said. It'll be easy they said.

:doh: Idiots...