Sign in to follow this  
Mase

Circuit S13 Silvia, SR20DET

I was hoping to start this at the end of the week but I can't find the f'kn key for it!!!!!!

lol I had this issue over the weekend, found the key, but I have a second anyway just in case.

When you find the key, spend $3 and get another cut you goose.

Well a big thanks to scotty (70KYO) who had a spare key sitting in his top drawer waiting for the day I finished building it so he could come and steal the SR20 because really he wants a real motor to power his new shell, not a lousy RB. Anyway I now I have a key for it, lots of hugs and kisses to him! xo

I am so close to starting this thing.......

I just have to finish wiring the thermofans, a coil relay and confirm oil flow on the oil filter remote kit. I took my original battery back and got myself a smaller unit saving myself 5kg's but an extra $80 bucks but now I can fit it behind the passenger's seat where I would have preferred it and this one has 2 years warranty which the other battery was meant to, but turns out the sales guy didn't know what he was on about.

The car is pretty filthy inside and I haven't started to tidy the wiring up but i've thrown photos up anyway. I've thrown away the road registration idea for a while in favour of just getting this thing back together to race. I figure once it's racing i'll make changes as I go.

Also, I need the power steering lines that go from the rack to the pump and reservoiur....... I'll need to find this when i'm back in the country. For now everything is on hold again. :(

20130705_173004.jpg

20130714_095627.jpg

20130714_095616.jpg

20130713_165731.jpg

Holy tiny battery batman!

And my rb will hopefully be making the same power, if not more! Thems fighting words!

Is that one of the 18aH batterys mase and what size is the main fuse your using there??

That one is the 21 AH model. It has 150A fuse on it but that is because it was in the car already when I got the shell. I will need to drop it as the main battery cable probably wouldn't take it. I have some larger guage cable lying around I might use or just buy a 100A fuse.

Link to battery please. How does it perform?

http://www.batteries...weight-agm.html

This one is 340CCA and 6.8kg's. Callum had the model below it with 245 CCA but I wanted a little more cranking amps.

I'm not sure how it performs. If you read the post above it says i'm very close to starting the car but haven't yet.

Edited by Mase

Thanks man.

Didnt read sorry. So many builds, its hard to keep up with who's is what and where they are at!!

Has anyone ever trimmed down a fibreglass bonnet before?

I have this bonnet here but it weighs as much as the stock item with the insulation still on it. I was originally going to sell it and get a factory one but seeing as it's not going to be registered for a while yet I was thinking of just keeping this one for now.

In terms of strength what do you think the best way would be to drop weight?

I was thinking of using a 25mm holesaw on the ridges underneath, then use a 50mm holesaw on the back bulkhead section above the firewall, but not going too close to the hinged area to try and keep strength there?

20130219_100644.jpg

Edited by Mase

I've seen people remove ribbing but the weight saving was minimal and the reduction in strength was quite substantial.

I don't think Bonnets are one of those things you can hack much out of before they lose strength, you might be able to save a couple of kg's and yeah it all adds up but whether it's worth it is up to you.

CF seems to be the way to go.

I'm pretty quick at doing damage to fibreglass with an 18v drill and a sharp 25mm holesaw. I don't think it will take long. That's why I want to drill holes, not cut the ribbing out. The minute the ribbing is gone it's hopeless.

When I did my first race day at the start of the year you have to put your windows up and by the second lap I had sweat pouring into my eyes so finally got around to getting a window net for the car and straps which attach it to the side intrusion bar.

windownet.jpgwindownetpins.jpgcagenetstraps.jpg

I also purchased some more roll bar padding and a brake prop valve as it didn't change the cost of shipping and there's a good chance i'll need one shortly.

brakebias.jpg

What's the bias adjuster worth and did you find you were having problems with balance?

Neil it all came from Summit. If I'd had known you were keen on something I would have combined the shipping :(.

The brake bias was $41 US. I haven't put the car on track yet but there is a possibility i'm going to have bias issues with the wilwood fronts with small pistons and the r33 rears with a larger piston area. It's all up in the air at the moment until I finally test it but I was happy to spend the $40 bucks as shipping didn't cost any extra with that added to the order.

Nah that's alright, I need a cage to tie to first anyway.

The dog disapproves of my latest purchase. Tells me I need to learn how to drive before I go buying fancy tyres!

image-1377160003299-V.jpg

Locally. I had planned to get them from tirerack.com, I went to transfer the money then when the conversion came up to $AU I was pretty shocked. They were over $100 cheaper last time I priced them. Ended up going through a local supplier. They were $27 more than tirerack.com, but you always run the risk of getting taxed when they come in, plus these guys had them in stock.

What supplier did you end up using and what size did you get? I've been considering 275/40/17 but not sure I can make them fit.

245F/275R

I'm thinking of getting some bolt on flares, not a big fan of how they look but it's not about the looks anymore!

helllyea mase :D these are the bomb. make sure you run a stack of camber (front mainly) to make them wear evenly

ok cheers buddy. I've heard they can flog out real quick if your alignment isn't spot on. I won't be running them for a little while yet, have two more days left in the nittos but I'm about to become very broke over the next two months i'm told so had to sneak them in first!

From experience I'm pretty sure you only get the whole customs fee and associated taxes if the product total value exceeds $1000aud. Don't quote me but that's what happened to me

That is correct, but when you're buying a product that's around 900US, then take into the exchange rate it will be very close to 1000AU, say the rate drops a few cents while in transit and it is now worth 1000AU and is taxed a further 10%. I've had to ship a few things in from the U.S and i'm always very cautious of this. Some distributors will mark the price down on the customs form for you but if they forget you get burnt.

Sign in to follow this