Sign in to follow this  
Mase

Circuit S13 Silvia, SR20DET

I sold my last project to another member on here, picked up his old shell and decided to throw my motor/gearbox/turbo setup into it.

90 S13 SR20DET Silvia

293RWKW's at GT Auto's dyno

Wilwood superlite front brakes, 12.9" rotor, R33 rear

R33 rear cradle and front control arms

GK tech adjustable arms

offset cradle bushes

Apexi N1 coilvers 7kg f, 5kg r

Whiteline sway bars

Mech diff

PBM modified knuckles

CAMS cage with removable side intrusion bars for rego

2012-06-26 17.53.45.jpg

2012-06-01 11.50.50.jpg

2012-06-02 10.30.52.jpg

2012-05-25 10.05.54.jpg

Edited by Mase

Today I fitted the R33 rear cradle. What a pain in the ass. I ended up installing a 6mm spacer between the chassis and the cradle as a compromise between smashing the chassis back with a hammer to raise the cradle. This is still an improvement of 10mm over stock. I started fitting up all the adjustable arms tonight and will get photos tomorrow.

what turbo is it?

looks like a GT3071 T2 internal gated 56mm trim

Correct. I don't have any prizes to give you though.

What boost was the 293kw at Jase? Was the subframe difficulty due to the risers or because it was an R33 frame? I've got some risers coming but I haven't heard of any mods being required except for the handbrake line mounts.

Neil I was having boost control issues at the time before I ported the rear turbo housing wastegate exit and it was spiking to about 25psi at times so between 22 and 25psi.

The subframe was a pain due to first being offset which you have to work out before you press them in, and then it fouled on the chassis at about 50mm back from the front subframe mounts and also on the camber arm mounting points on the cradle. To fix this I made up 6mm of spacers to go between all 4 mounting points and that gave me enough clearance all round. You obviously won't have the offset issue with you having an S14 chassis. I've attached photos. If you purchased an SPL subframe kit I believe they come with shims. I just drilled out some 3mm thick RHS using a 76mm hole saw.

From factory the cradle sits about 16mm below the body so I still gained 10mm in height but I doubt I'd go to all the effort again. I could have smashed the body with a hammer but I wasn't keen on it.

2012-05-23 12.36.27.jpg

2012-05-23 12.36.54.jpg

2012-05-23 13.22.01.jpg

r33 subframe = hicas?

mate had the same issue when he fitted a r33 craddle to a s13 he just bashed it with a hammer

Yeah it had hicas. I just welded some plates on the back and put some toe arms in it. I had purchased an S15 cradle off some clown on boostcruising but I didn't realise he'd bent it and the camber arm mount was 8mm higher and 5mm out. It's not as though you bring a measuring tape to check when you pick these things up.

There is some massive bind going on in the rear end though with all the adjustable arms at stock length. I'm just trying to fit it all up at the moment. and thinking about pillowball's in the rear end maybe but it's a big $$ outlay, then getting them pressed in etc and it's a lot more time.

Last couple of days progress was fitting up the R33 rear cradle and adjustable arms. Then pulling the guards out to fit my regular wheels 17 x 9 +22 Work Meister S2R's and then my track rims 17 x 9.5 +38 Enkei RPF1's. I pulled the guards about 20-25mm. The extra track on the R33 cradle suits the high offset on the Enkei's better than I expected so I'm going to see if I can squeeze a 10" version under the rear for circuit work and put the 9.5" up front with a 25mm spacer maybe. We'll see how wide the fibreglass guards are.

Have to order rear brake rotors, pads and lines, power steering rack bushes, tie rods and ends and possibly a front brake kit. I've got my eyes on this wilwood kit:

http://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/BrakeKitsProdFront.aspx?itemno=140-9194&year=1991&make=Nissan&model=240SX&option=240SX%204%20Lug%20or%205%20Lug%20hub%20w/o%20Antilock%20Brakes

Photos:

2012-05-25 10.05.54.jpg

2012-05-25 11.18.28.jpg

2012-05-25 12.53.04.jpg

2012-05-25 14.24.15.jpg

how much extra track do you think you got? I'm about to do this too and I already have rims that are on the edge of being too big

S13 rear track width 1460mm

R33 rear track width 1470mm

Not much, less than I expected actually.

Ordered some R33 slotted rotors for the rear last night.

Time to start on the front end.

R33 control arms

PBM knuckles

Adjustable castor rods

Whiteline swaybar (still on the sil80)

Nismo power brace (still on the sil80)

I need new rack bushes and some decent tie rod and ends so looking at different options.

Alright these are on their way from the states. I had been thinking about buying new rotors and pads for the R33 callipers but decided to spend a little more rather than go to slicks and aero and then find I have brake issues and then upgrade. 12.9" rotor and lighter than the R33 setup. I'll leave the R33 ones on the rear though.

brake_kit_140-9194-med-lg.jpg140-9194_kit-lg.jpgbrake_kit_140-9194-lg.jpg

I've spent the whole day spot welding the front end, welding up the AC and heater holes in the firewall and bogging them. I'll post the finished photos tomorrow.

2012-05-27 17.52.29.jpg

2012-05-27 17.52.46.jpg

Edited by Mase

Boxed up some R33 arms and put some adjustable lock stops on there in case I decide to ever drift it. I think with the PBM knuckles I'll need them anyway to stop the rack getting stuck at full lock.

Picked up some S14 tie rods and SPL tie rod ends, made some lock spacers and finished painting the engine bay. I started to assemble the front suspension but ran out of time.

I was told today my new brakes are on back order :( another two weeks.

2012-05-29 14.48.46.jpg

2012-05-30 16.17.39.jpg

2012-05-30 19.39.17.jpg

Edited by Mase

Taking the Nismo power brace off the sil80 and transferring it to this thing was too much work so I made my own Masemo power brace with my apprentice welding skills. I had no flat plate, only RHS so this was the end result.

2012-05-31 11.39.38.jpg

2012-05-31 16.41.52.jpg

2012-05-31 16.42.16.jpg

I also had two wins today: The car was finally sat on all four wheels and rolled out of the shed so I can clean up the place before I get the motor ready and I ordered a pair of rear R33 GTST slotted rotors and 2 pairs were delivered instead!!

2012-05-31 19.02.59.jpg

Edited by Mase

Well the sil80 has its last track day tomorrow before I sell it. I'd love a 59 but I don't think Ive got the skill just yet so my best hope would be a low 60. I've changed tyre pressures and my swaybars since last going to lakeside and it made a noticeable improvement at QR so i'm confident i will knock down the old PB of 62.9.

My daily 2wd BT50 got a 3" exhaust and chip. It made 117kw at the wheels which is alright for a 2.5L turbo diesel.

The project has been a bit slow but my latest purchase is a brake bias master cylinder set. I've been welding up the sunroof and getting the wiring loom ready to be installed. The seat, coilovers and cage will come out of the sil80 and go onto the project. Picked up a single layer race suit, boots, gloves and balaclava for $200 delivered off ebay.

Bias brake set:

pedal box.jpg

I had the tappet cover off the motor and thought I'd take a quick snap:

2012-06-02 10.30.52.jpg

Edited by Mase

Taking the Nismo power brace off the sil80 and transferring it to this thing was too much work so I made my own Masemo power brace with my apprentice welding skills. I had no flat plate, only RHS so this was the end result.

2012-05-31 11.39.38.jpg

2012-05-31 16.41.52.jpg

2012-05-31 16.42.16.jpg

nice they really do make a difference

probably should of used round tube instead of a square tube

this is mine

IMG_2025.JPG

im interested in your Bias brake set let me know how it goes

Kemp I just used what I had laying round the place mate. I've blown the budget out already on this thing and have bundles of RHS around the place from a trailer I was building so I just chucked it in. When I was building it i looked at the nismo one in my sil80 and yours.

I'm in over my head with the brake setup but willing to do a bit of trial and error based on my limited knowledge and calculations.

Edited by Mase

Holy crap Jays you've been busy. I need to pull my finger out and get back out to Lakeside too! Getting close to ready

What size racing suit are you? Was it a new suit off ebay?

http://www.ebay.com....#ht_1104wt_1270

It was a single layer packaged kit for $200 delivered. Included boots, gloves, balaclava, and suit. You give the guy your sizes and he organises the correct fit. I'd message him first though to make sure you fit.

Edited by Mase

I've got the same gear, used it at my last race weekend and it was very comfortable. I looked around the net for measurements and sizes (height, weight, waist, etc) of other brands to pick mine and they all fitted great.

Yeah I used mine last weekend at Lakeside and it was great also. I emailed the seller previously with waist, height, chest, foot length and he worked it all out.

Thanks I'll send him a message

Definitely need to.....my shoes are size 15 FML

good luck with that.

Yeah thanks

Question - why did you decide to use a 33 rear subframe? Just for wider track?

Edited by SMiTHBRo

Wider track and apparently better pick up points, but it was basically just for convenience. I picked up front and rear cradles/brakes/arms/diff from an R33 for $500. I've used the brakes, handbrake cables, diff, front and rear control arms, cradle, rear 5 stud, front wheel studs and various bits and pieces off it so it was money well spent.

Car is put on hold at the moment. I've run out of room in my shed so had to weld some shelves up and clean up a bit then i'll continue with the car. I'm waiting on my brakes from the states still and my pedal bias box from the UK as well. I'm pricing up a set of hawk pads to suit front and rear.

Made myself a sooper dooper low seat rail still incorporating the sliders and factory mounts. Because the vehicle will be registered I wanted to keep the factory mounts in place and be able to easily swap out the rail.

Last night i fitted the diff and the rear section of the exhaust. I was waiting for a 4.3 ratio diff to pop up but I can do that at a later stage.

seat rail1.jpg

seat rail2.jpg

Edited by Mase

Brakes arrived in the mail today! Thought I'd fit the rear brakes while I was at it.

2012-06-26 09.46.09.jpg

2012-06-26 14.12.09.jpg

2012-06-26 14.16.41.jpg

2012-06-26 08.12.43.jpg

Very nice, what did freight end up costing you?

not sure on the exact figure. May have been about $300US but the supplier absorbed some of it as he miscalculated shipping costs. The kit was $1250US delivered including braided lines to suit.

Sign in to follow this