Sign in to follow this  
MI55EE

Painting interior panels

Hey guys,

I have searched, and cannot find if anyone has painted there trim that is under the dash, that runs down the stereo, past the gear boot & is the cupholders in an S15, the one that has silvia raised on it in silver. mine is really really scratched nearly everywhere, and just worn, looks terrible. Has anyone painted theirs ? I'd buy another one, but i'd like to have a crack at trying to make it look good first. Or is there anyone who is Pro at interior painting and give me tips? i find it daunting, i don't want it to look like a tacky home job. If anyone has pictures of any home jobs on interior they have done, post them, i wanna have a look :) should i do the same colour? or maybe experiement with a matt black ? i have a silver metallic paint ink pen to re-write over the silvia part, so i am half way there :)

^^ wipe down with prepsol/wax & grease remover.

Dont even consider using a silver texta to colour in the silvia badge...

What if it's a poska texta?? E points right derrr

What if it's a poska texta?? E points right derrr

I dont even know wtf a poska texta is...

Must be a melbourne thing..

Edited by Chich.

Can you suggest anything else? I've already used the metallic ink paint pen thing on it before, because the silvia part on that interior panel was severely scratched also, so I used it to touch it up. Looks not half bad... but if there is anything better I'm all ears

If its already scratched up and ruined, then you may as well do what you wish with it. or just try your hand at masking up and paint it a different colour. will be fiddly as though.

Poska is the graffiti texta of choice! It's like paint in text form haha it's not a Melbourne thing... It's a cool ppl type of thing so no wonder your in the dark :(

I want to spray that trim Matt black maybe...

Mask up the silvia but for fluro pink to match my front bar stitches :D

Up to you what you do with it really, but be aware that it can and will come out looking tacky if you dont spend the time getting it right.

Hey guys,

I have searched, and cannot find if anyone has painted there trim that is under the dash, that runs down the stereo, past the gear boot & is the cupholders in an S15, the one that has silvia raised on it in silver. mine is really really scratched nearly everywhere, and just worn, looks terrible. Has anyone painted theirs ? I'd buy another one, but i'd like to have a crack at trying to make it look good first. Or is there anyone who is Pro at interior painting and give me tips? i find it daunting, i don't want it to look like a tacky home job. If anyone has pictures of any home jobs on interior they have done, post them, i wanna have a look :) should i do the same colour? or maybe experiement with a matt black ? i have a silver metallic paint ink pen to re-write over the silvia part, so i am half way there :)

Tsk, tsk. Didn't search hard enough. Plenty of people have painted them.

Cue bigass post.

Tech Article: http://www.nissansil...howtopic=507373

Thread: http://www.nissansil...howtopic=507220

Started with Satellite Brown, as you do to a scratched dash:

Brown1.jpg

Brown2.jpg

Brown3.jpg

Brown4.jpg

Got blue Recaro SR4s, so changed to Ice Blue Metallic for a matching contrast (camera fails to capture the colour properly):

Blue1.jpg

Blue2.jpg

Suspop suggested a logo shave, which seemed like a good idea:

Shave1.jpg

Shave2.jpg

Shave3.jpg

It looks better in person, but sadly my camera is designed to work after being frozen, not to capture things perfectly. :(

The brown paint was also a slightly better finish, since it was the first layer.

I want to spray that trim Matt black maybe...

Mask up the silvia but for fluro pink to match my front bar stitches :D

Matt black would be a mistake. Very easy to scuff, and the section you plan to spray is a high-wear area.

Gloss paint dusted on is a far more durable option, and not too reflective.

In relation to the logo, this is the approach I would take, although you may be happy just using a pen:

1. Sand logo face
  2. Plastic prime logo area
  3. Prime logo area and leave to cure
  4. Spray with gloss pink and leave to cure
  5. Spray with gloss model lacquer from a hobby shop; the type used for models and minatures. This is very hard-wearing.
  6. Leave a week to fully cure
  7. Cover with hight quality clear plastic tape. Cheap tape has cheap glue and is too much of a liability.
  8. Buy a scapal or hobby knife from a hobby shop
  9. Very carefully cut the shape of the face from the clear tape, taking care to avoid cutting into the plastic
  10. Remove the excess tape keeping only the face covered
  11. Lightly sand the overspray from the activities above, such that the overspray gently blends into the original paint
  12. Paint the panel as directed in the article and spray can instructions
  13. Carefully remove the clear tape once the final coat has become touch dry and feels relatively bonded. If you dusted paint on lightly, no paint should peel with the tape.

Edited by pmod

thanks pmod :) i thought there was none! need to touch up my searching skills. thats heaps good people have done it, yeah i had a think about matt black and yeah what you said is right, i want a low gloss black, matt black would bring up stuff like when you scuff dirty shoes and stuff, it would be horrible. im excited to do it, i am still scared though, i do wanna keep the logo also, just not sure what to do with it yet, i kinda wanna have my mind set exactly on what i want before i paint it, incase i regret it, and have to fork out 280 for a new one. i will be printing this for further reference when i finally do the job!