Sign in to follow this  
Nissan_Gts

Can you actually get a quiet 3" Muffler?

http://www.bestmuffl...n_200sx_s15.htm

ill post this again........

he put this up for me, i was goign to buy it, however funds became an issue and well, meh havnet bothered yet. however next year / xmas present i will be getting this exhaust.

he was even kind enough to put up a db test for me, as i got done for noise with my xforce POS 3" TB

he uses an

advanced headers dump/front pipe,

includes a 3" highflow cat or your choice,

magnaflow mid muffler

xforce 3" twin tip rear muffler, simply because they are larger then the rest and have the better noise suppression,

he has tried and tested a lot of exhausts, been around the block a few times,

man knows his shit.

however have the mentality of a young dumb kid who knows everything and wont listen to advice when given, he will do your service, but you probably wont be happy and will walk away in a weeks time goign why didnt i listen to the bloke....

he actually has afew examples of this on his website, i think with an xr6t owner... wanted split dump, but should of gone bell mouth...

anyhoo have a look at his stuff, very reasonable easy bloke to get along with

fully custom made, sits nicely, and has my vote...

Edited by n0nac-S15

That is spot on man. Fortunately for me i actually already have the advance headers installed and a high flow cat :)

So looks like all i need now is the magnaflow mid muffler, and xforce rear muffler, i'll give it a shot and can post up a video once i get it all installed.

Thanks

Edited by Nissan_Gts

My CES system isn't too far off that of the bestmuffler link above.

It's a full 3in turbo back with a ceramic coated split dump pipe, mid muffler, 200 cell high flow cat and a Magnaflow rear muffler with twin 2.5in (from memory) oval tips. It has no drone, is marginally louder than stock at idle and has a nice deep growl (but not loud) when on WOT. Contact CES :)

I think the main problem is that my resonator that i have on after the cat isn't really doing much at all in terms of keeping the sound low. Adding a mid muffler seems to be helping quite a bit in the video posted above, and it doesn't have a massively loud note to it - which is exactly what i'm after!

All those front pipes are fail. Special my ass, pay $300 for one that hangs low as f**k.

Also, what a load of shit that a Varex with closed valve will perform any worse then a stock system.

You close the valve when you're in hot spots, then you don't care about performance.

When it is close... it sounds like a stock system. That's what you want!

When open, maximum performance, not other full-time 'silent' system will outperform,

You shave the f**kn tips off and weld new ones on, and you logo is gone.

You have all your pipe-work in shit dull color.

Does no one read anymore? There's a truck load of threads on this same shit.

Edited by Suspop

Been down this path myself. Honestly, it all comes down to size and path of travel.

My advice is to ignore the "what brands do you recommend train of thought, and focus on what works; fit the largest rear muffler that you can physically shove in the space. The shape doesn't matter; the path and size do.

I had a big Fujitsubo that worked rather well, same system wtih a much smaller cylindrical Lukey was far louder.

Points to consider:

1. A mid-muffler is effectively augmenting the size of the rear muffler, without being a hard restriction like a valve. Fit one before you replace anything else.

2. 3" mufflers come in more than simply straight-through. Look for a tri-flow if you value noise suppression over the 20-30% cost of flow.

3. Catalytic converters act as another noise suppressor. Running a decat pipe (if you do) works against noise suppression.

4. The diameter of the tip can change the sound. A tip that doesn't exceed the main pipe diameter is wise where the goal is quiet operation.

i have 2 180s.

Sli80 - my street / track toy : Reinhard full titanium system. twin pipes out the back (IMO one of the best exhaust out there.)

Type X - Daily : HKS Silent. it sounds deep yet quite, i don't find it very restrictive considering the the note it puts out... Keeps with the JDM flavour . car has no problems putting out a healthy daily 197 rwkws with this exhaust.

But let me warn you. You will MISS THE NOISE.... you can still hear the HKS Silent yes. but sometimes you just wanna hear it more.

not on a sr20. but a mate of mine has the varex on his evo 9. and its pretty shit when u close the thing onto silent. you would only do it , if u happened to have a cop next to u at the lights... that and the muffler looks ULGY AS SIN....

+1 for "bestmufflers". I have used him a few times, and was always helpfull.

Varex are good at doing their job but as nismo_ec mentioned the look of the twn tip Varex muffler looks pox.

I wouldnt use one based on that alone.

I have a full CES system, have had it for 6 years. Love it to death since i do a lot of long trips and I have never once had anyone complain about the noise.

If anyone ever posts an exhaust revving it at idle they are a tool.. the car is not loading up and hence not fueling up.. My car had a 3.5" cannon on it.. revved quiet as piss.. but at load in @ 3k it was pumping well in excess of 100db.. got defected by some tool just out of graduation at the cop college on my way back from Canberra (goulborn) so do yourselves a favor.. stop and put the baffle in the cannon as they hit me up just cause they saw the car he was booking someone at the time on the shoulder of the freeway and I idled passed him.. waited to get over the hill and out of site and gassed it.. the prick hunted me down... and out came the book.. I heard the siren and slowed down.. so didnt get done for speeding.. anyway my mrs ripped the exhaust out from under the car is it was a hung little low on a speed bump.. now I have a 3" it seems ok.. quietened it down on load not at idle.. I still think it is defectable.. but the only thing I can say is that legal mufflers all have a front muffler and a rear muffler.. if you have a resonator and a rear I bet you it isnt legal.. or it is gay like a varex..

systems with front mufflers flow ok but not as good as ones without.. just depends on how big the numbers are that you are pushing and if the exhaust is causing an issue.. but like most cars i have seen massive 3" coolers and ultra free flowing exhausts dont give any added benifit to a car thats not pushing atleast 300hp.. (250kw)

P.S It sucks that they did it without even testing it.. he said it doesnt look legal get it tested.. I just agreed so the rest of the car didnt get a going over although I did get done for a camber worn tyre.. the FKR was just over the 2" wear rule or whatever it is from the edge.. outside was like new.. hence I fixed my hella stance up..

Moral of the story is that if it is non standard and the cop wants to be an ass he will make you get it tested.. quiet / loud.. etc.. doesnt matter..

Edited by chris2712au

If anyone ever posts an exhaust revving it at idle they are a tool.. the car is not loading up and hence not fueling up.. My car had a 3.5" cannon on it.. revved quiet as piss.. but at load in @ 3k it was pumping well in excess of 100db.. got defected by some tool just out of graduation at the cop college on my way back from Canberra (goulborn) so do yourselves a favor.. stop and put the baffle in the cannon as they hit me up just cause they saw the car he was booking someone at the time on the shoulder of the freeway and I idled passed him.. waited to get over the hill and out of site and gassed it.. the prick hunted me down... and out came the book.. I heard the siren and slowed down.. so didnt get done for speeding.. anyway my mrs ripped the exhaust out from under the car is it was a hung little low on a speed bump.. now I have a 3" it seems ok.. quietened it down on load not at idle.. I still think it is defectable.. but the only thing I can say is that legal mufflers all have a front muffler and a rear muffler.. if you have a resonator and a rear I bet you it isnt legal.. or it is gay like a varex.. systems with front mufflers flow ok but not as good as ones without.. just depends on how big the numbers are that you are pushing and if the exhaust is causing an issue.. but like most cars i have seen massive 3" coolers and ultra free flowing exhausts dont give any added benifit to a car thats not pushing atleast 300hp.. (250kw) P.S It sucks that they did it without even testing it.. he said it doesnt look legal get it tested.. I just agreed so the rest of the car didnt get a going over although I did get done for a camber worn tyre.. the FKR was just over the 2" wear rule or whatever it is from the edge.. outside was like new.. hence I fixed my hella stance up.. Moral of the story is that if it is non standard and the cop wants to be an ass he will make you get it tested.. quiet / loud.. etc.. doesnt matter..

true that! lol yes

"You shave the f**kn tips off and weld new ones on, and you logo is gone."

going to do this soon thanks!

oh yeah just an update, i just gave up and left it loud haha. Sounds really good though :)

^^^ everyone normally does.. if you are desperate to quieten it it only takes a min to knock a baffle / silencer in.. the only issue is it is a dirty job..

I want to ditch my hi-power silent for twin pipes.

It is a good exhaust though, nice and quiet unless your gunning it, nice note aswell

oh yeah just an update, i just gave up and left it loud haha. Sounds really good though :)

yeah ive been trying to figure out what to do to my car, it is really loud. sounds aggresively good though, i've been reading this thread, thinking and thinking, i think ill keep my 3.5" straight through no cat, it is really bad, but im too scared to replace the exhaust system, cause every other SR i have heard with exhaust mods, sounds like poo :(

heaps good thread but, when the day comes that i have to do something about my exhaust, ill be reading this again. :)

I've still got the silencer bit that goes in to the end of the muffler, but it's f**cked driving with it on - feels like i'm losing 20kw or something, sooo restrictive.

So yeah, i thinks cops should just embrace the sr20 exhaust sound lol

Edited by Nissan_Gts

I had a trust PE2 I'm pretty sure it was on one of my old Silvia's. The sound was amazing and not overly loud or droney at all. I will definitely be keeping my eye out for one for my current car, or pretty keen to try the hks silent power too. As mentioned previously, a good mid muffler helps heaps with these.

Although I've never used one on an sr turbo, I had a dynamax vt muffler on my last car which had a sr20de and it worked pretty well...didn't have that obnoxious loud fartyness that exhausted NA's usually do, even with the valve open at higher revs

Edited by MILK-13

So yeah, i thinks cops should just embrace the sr20 exhaust sound lol

YOU GET ME DUDE! :thumbsup:

Make sure the exhaust dumps a good distance from the rear bar. I halved in car noise by just adding a 15cm tip onto my exhaust. Before I was dumping just before the bumper now its stick away from it a bit. Really helped.

Make sure the exhaust dumps a good distance from the rear bar. I halved in car noise by just adding a 15cm tip onto my exhaust. Before I was dumping just before the bumper now its stick away from it a bit. Really helped.

In VIC, it's not roadworthy if the exhaust extends past the rear bar though.

never been defected for it. legally you can have 2cm. makes a huge difference and i just have mined bolted in. easy to remove if required.

There are lots of quiet exhaust systems around:

- Apexi N1 Evo, Fujitsubo Legalis R, Trust PEII, HKS Silent Hi-Power, Nismo Spec-pro, Kakimoto Regu, the list goes on... just about every jap parts manufacturer made one.

I've heard most of these and none of them drone, all are perfectly fine for daily driving.

Just stay on the lookout for one secondhand.

Bit off topic, but...

Has anybody on ns installed a varex midway? say where the stock mid muffler was originally?

only good if your car is 9 foot off the ground

hmm what size is the stock piping for 200SX anyway, 2.5"? i never checked it before i upgraded.

I used to have an RB25 with jap Kakimoto exhaust, the sound was great but never too loud at all. Now that i have SR20, whole different story lol

Front pipe is 2.125" and eventually ends up 1.875" before the muffler. It necks down to about 40mm ID in a lot of spots. It's shocking.

If you want quiet and good performance, Go 3" dump, 3" front, a PROPER high-flow cat (HJS is the only way to go), and a smooth taper down to 2.5" for the cat-back with a middle straight through muffler and a big fat 5"x11"x22" straight through rear muffler. As the exhaust gas cools and straightens, it no longer needs the same diameter as it needed near the turbo.