Sign in to follow this  
Spazo

Annual reviews, salary reviews

I've never had one of these but I've got one coming up next month. What kind of things do you say to get a raise?

what kind of work do you do?

usually if there is room for a raise in a position you usually need to have some kind of measure of performance (KPI's or "Key Performance Index") that can be presented at the end of financial year or review period, along with a survey of industry standards in salary, usually taken as an average across the industry with experience and performance a big factor in the outcome of the raise or bonus.

So pretty much in a nutshell account for:

• your contribution to the organisation and how you measure that.
  • how that lines up with the business model and strategic plan.
  • what the industry salary is (plenty of surveys and reports out there in teh interwebz).
  • a bit of fellacio depending on how much a tight wad your boss is and how badly you need it :P

Edited by HumanHefner

- If you've been doing more work than what's in your job description (and can prove it)

- Inherited responsibilities without reward (or not enough)

- Wanting to expand your job role

- Excellent customer/client responses and feedback (always keep these no matter how small it is)

- On time or better for all jobs.

- Cost savings that you've implemented or contributed to.

Just make it all about what you have done for the company and how the company is now better off. Back up your claims with real figures and examples.

All bullsh!t. Those performance reviews and all this crap dot mean anything- just stuff that keep HR department at work.

Most likely your manager already knows how much he's gonna give you, as budget for next financial year has been done already.

All bullsh!t. Those performance reviews and all this crap dot mean anything- just stuff that keep HR department at work.

Most likely your manager already knows how much he's gonna give you, as budget for next financial year has been done already.

A good boss will always do this as a preemptive strike, but there's always room to negotiate if you have the right tools. This happened to me last week. Gave me a pay rise, but i then got a company vehicle added on top of the bonus.

Good boss doesn't need performance reviews and all those KPIs to know what you do and how you do it. You mostly to it due to company policies only...

Also it's better to ask for stuff like vehicles and money beforehand...

Unfortunately with some organisations its unavoidable as a form of policy that they adhere to the KPI review process, but on that note yes there's nothing stopping your boss from simply saying "Yeah so and so performed as per their KPI's " etc... as long as it all adds up.

I'm a sales guy, number one rule is be the first person to put a number on the table.

If you aren't an income generating employee then you have an uphill battle, as discussed above operations guys generally get structured raises if any.

I probably should have said that I'm an IT guy.

Edited by ru55kj

My salary reviews usually consist of dinner, several glasses/bottles of red wine, my boss telling me how good I am then naming a figure, then agreeing when I ask him to double it.

I hope this helps.

Thing is there are no kpi's to meet or opportunities to be 'proactive' in my support role. I knock the work over at a moderate pace and sit there on the net, which they will occasionally make me feel guilty about. My boss has said things like "sit there and have a good read of the PDS" but he knows if I've got nothing to do then I'm going to use the net. There isn't really any room for career progression at this time and I'm second in line if a higher role comes up (if they don't hire someone from outside the company).

My salary is good but it's also the minimum in my 'band', which is the corporations salary range for roles at my level. My co-worker went away for a few months and I did the work of 2 people during that time. That's about all I can claim.. they could give me nothing and it wouldn't really be unfair, but I know I'd be pissed off because I've heard of people getting decent pay raises. My colleague has been there a few years, I'm gonna ask what they're earning come to think of it, but I don't think making management aware that I asked/know is smart, not really sure.

I basically want to be able to save more... and while I do alright with renting a cheap place and a bit of budgeting, I want more. Thanks for the tips, will have a think.

In big companies they are unlikely to give you big pay increase without giving you a promotion with change of title, which is a bit stupid.

It's unlikely it will be more than inflation rate.

Another option is to tell them that you want to leave unless they give you a decent pay. I don't think it's a good option but works for many people( as if I say I leave a leave).

In big companies they are unlikely to give you big pay increase without giving you a promotion with change of title, which is a bit stupid.

It's unlikely it will be more than inflation rate.

Another option is to tell them that you want to leave unless they give you a decent pay. I don't think it's a good option but works for many people( as if I say I leave a leave).

Righteo. So this bro knows nothing about how big companies divide in-house profit allocations or what the function of an actual HR department is.

Spazo - I don't know what company you work in, but annual salary reviews are comprised of two things

- FIrstly, allocation of a specific amount of money, this amount is then banded according to a review scale

- Secondly, individual performance reviews are done, along with one on ones with one ups and a % increase is given according to the scale earlier decided

If extraordinary profit is recorded, where there is a discretionary bonus scheme, then this profit will be allocated to the employees in the same review.

I've never had one of these but I've got one coming up next month. What kind of things do you say to get a raise?

Change jobs, salary reviews, etc.. are only good for people who suck cock at work. I've seen the hardest workers at my old company not get promoted but this dumb ugly fat slart in the team get promoted twice, however she's as dumb as my neighbour's cat and has fark all qualifications... Just probably sucks loads of cock and talks loads of shit. I've picked up her farked up projects so many times and delivered them.

Edited by Johnnilicte

is this a copy and paste of this time last year lol??

eveyone makes good poitns.

do a good job. rock up early. give a little more then what you get paid for. make the compayn money. be productive. prove it.

should be set if thas how your company opperates ;)

I Still think that HR in general with all it's KPI's reviews etc is all bullshit and don't brig much value to the company.

If you want pay raise - let your manager now about it. Even though its obvious he has to know about it!

Probably this is why I work as a consultant :)

They made my position redundant back in July. Been hanging out, playing in bands, mucking around with a new chick, so I'm happy really. I'm applying for lots of jobs though the market is dry, so dry. In hindsight, I didn't realize my boss was a *milkshake*. Kinda funny reading this now. Good luck with your salary reviews!

Market might be dry, but it you shine in mud they will pick you up. I just resigned 2 weeks ago and found a job in the current stale market state.

Chin up, and tell your ex manager to fark off. One thing I never do in any workplace is kiss arse, I hope you don't do it also.

You'll be surprised but early December is not such a bad time to look for a job. I get more calls from agents now than a month ago. It looks like Terence are jobs to fill but all candidates already have up for the year!