Sign in to follow this  
Spazo

Harassment at work

Yesterday I cracked the shits when my team leader gave some wanky superficial response to a complaint I made about a colleague being a dick, so I forwarded it onto to the manager, although I was pretty careful how I worded everything and stressed that it wasn't an official complaint.

The manager, who doesn't like said colleague saw the history of emails I was using as an example and he agreed I had a case. It was either I complain or I snap at said colleague and then he'd go and complain about me, so I guess this might be a preview of things to come, and I might have to make an official complaint.

I've never been in this situation, how do these things go? Have you ever had to complain? Did it fix the situation or do you regret it?

I complained about my Manager once, because she was so stressed at work she went absolute nuts screaming at me in front of everyone one day.

I made an official complaint in writing to HR, and so what happened was she wasn't able to get a pay rise at all for a year, plus she had to completely move away from where i was sitting at the time.

win.

Edited by Nissan_Gts

I would ask that team leader if he had a couple of minutes to have a sit down and chat. Write down all the things you think he/she has done that you think was not appropriate, and explain your feelings. If he/she says no, ask the manager to be in the meeting as well. At the end of the day, it will be better to get these things off your chest this way, rather than putting in a harrasment claim. You think the team leader will like you more, or forge you put them up for harrasment? If your manager isnt available, maybe a union rep (if youre in a union). Do this first, so everyone knows where you stand. If it continues, you have every right to put in a harrasment claim to be investigated, and if they know you have already spoken to them about the matter (especially with a manager present) things will happen alot quicker.

A couple of guys at my work were put up for harrasment by a douchebag. He isnt well liked in our workshop.

I guess my morale of the story is; try everything else before harrasment claims. You may achieve the same result without resenting turning up to work every morning.

^ smart person... being a whinger gets you no where but a bad rep, rememeber corporate is a kiss arse world. Kiss the right arse, that's my advise.

I work as an area manager and seriously at times workers can be like children so without knowing the full story its hard to comment...

Its all about communication, i find if i have a problem with someone i would rather try sort it out with the person i have a complaint about if not then sure go a little higher

* first thing is to check yourself for any cause or fault of your own ( ie have you contributed to the situation or have you any blame for the actions towards you that you dislike)

* then try a direct approach with the person you have a problem with ( have impartial person present like another team leader who doesn't give a shit about either of you)

* write your problems down in point form with as much of a timeline as you can remember because if it goes further than conversation level you'll need to have "done your homework" to have a case against your colleague or manager.

* remember that sometimes you just need to give some people enough rope to hang themselves.... so maybe you've already done all it will take by drawing attention to the problem person?

This is dead and buried but I'll say there is no reasoning with some people because they know exactly what they're doing so there's nothing to discuss. There is a line they cross between conflicting interests and being a *milkshake* and this guy was being a massive *milkshake*. I just regret not being a bit better at dealing with that kinda thing but i will be next time. He was doing it to someone else before he targeted me too. The boss did nothing and I regret not taking it up with the newly appointed general manager, who i later discovered had worked with the guy in the past and knew exactly what he was like. I and a few others were made redundant not long after so I can only wonder how complaining would have played out but I have since fantasized about running into this guy on the street and.. Taking a dump on his face.

I manage a team of nearly 60 employees. Most if my time is taken up with HR issues that I personally believe should and could be resolved privately between the two parties.....but.......humans can be very very childish at the best of times. In my team I have basically every nationality and background possible, and their are always personality clashes which I need to mediate.

I always take it back to the fact that we are all here for a common purpose, and I don't expect everybody to be friends, but I demand that everybody be professional enough to at least get the job done which us what they are being paid for. If there is a grievance between 2 or more people I always tackle it head on and do so behind closed doors with all parties involved. Usually I find that this is the best approach, as it shows that I will not tolerate any behavior that is disrespectful to anther person regardless of their position.

i f**king hated that shit when i was younger! my way of solving the problem usually ended up with me being told to leave. i became a tradie and life is so much better over the last 7 years or so. office/employee environments are the worst for job satisfaction. the people who always win are the most annoying people who know how to manipuate the system in thir favour.

There are always people who will manipulate the system.

I had one of my supervisors complain since day one I worked him too hard. In the last 2 years he has been on 4 different long term work cover claims. He is rooting the system and has been since he started. Up until 3 weeks ago I was powerless to do anything. It drove me nuts.

I finally got the ok from our HR team in Head Office to get rid of him. He did nothing but bring the whole culture of the place down. Now that he is gone the environment has completely changed.

I hate people who take advantage of anything for the wrong reasons. It just infuriates me.

But.....what goes around comes around.