Sign in to follow this  
Rolled Cambers

Tips on a HD video cam.

Hey all, I want to buy a video camera, but don't know what to get!

$500 is what I can spend.

I'd like it to be HD, but I thought if I go HD it would require a bigger card right?

Now I'm not going to be producing films or movies, just to record me and mates in Thai.

I've seen those small hand held recorders that are water proof, which is what I'd like, something that I can take to the beach and not worry about it getting wet!!

What do you guys recommend?

I'm thinking Canon, since I've only used Canon, but I'm open to others.

I'll be gone for 2.5 weeks on holiday so I need something that can store heaps of video on it. Maybe get a couple cards?

Ones I've looked at so far.

Toshiba Full HD water proof sports cam.

$99

Panasonic tough - Full HD - Waterproof.

$276

JVCPicsio WP10

$200

Gopro HD hero

$300

My favorite so far!!

Panasonic HX-WA10

$430

Go with the GoPro HD hero man id love one of them myself personally just for how tough it is and the waterproof bonus plus ive never heard a bad thing about them ever. i was lucky enough to pick up a real good video camera awhile back when sony let them have there own hard drives 250gb of memory is plenty :) haha

I'm thinking that as well. Maybe be useful later for track work when I get on it.

Also with waterproof cams. Does salt water effect them? Cause I talked to a dude whose selling one and he said it's effective in freshwater, not so much on the beach.

So I don't know

pretty sure its because its in plastic case which means it will have rubbers in the case to over a fair amount of time the salt may effect the rubbers im sure they would have replacement rubbers

I talked to a dude whose selling one and he said it's effective in freshwater, not so much on the beach.

unless he was talking about the image quality underwater, in which case he is a little wrong as the IQ is shit under any type of water unless you mod the case

Was talking about water leaks. How salt water can screw up the seal after time. But I thought once used in salt water, I'd go rinse it with fresh water after usage.

The same you would do to a boat.

Gopro hd(2) is not an overall usefull camera, because there is no zoom. It is fixed at around a ~12mm focal length. thats it.

Great for its intended purpose, but not so good for a throw around 'home, holiday' camera.

The rubber seals in all cameras will be effected over time. but yes, just rinse it in water after salt use.

Ive used a pana lumix and gopro hd for about 3-4 years , taken it to malyasia, bali,thailand, the states, the snow, and they do take a beating.

The benefit of the gorpo, is that it is contained in a shell that you can replace. The other cameras, im not sure if you can buy the rubber seals.

oh yeah and underwater focus is balls, just be weary of that issue.

Sign in to follow this