Sign in to follow this  
normality

Where to put guages? (without drilling the dash!)

Where to put guages? (without drilling the dash!)  

174 members have voted

1. 1. Where to put three guages? (Air/Fuel, Oil Temp, Oil Pressure)

• In the centre AC Vent
    • In the lower DIN bay
    • Drivers pillar
    • Cluster Surround
    • Other?

Hey guys,

Looking to install some new gauges into my S13, but not sure where to mount them. I know most people put them on the dash, but mine is mint and would rather not put holes in it. Also, I am looking to keep the interior as clean looking as possible which is something to consider ...

Very open to installing anywhere listed in the poll - would have no problem tearing out center vent etc.

Thoughts?

The GR 3 Gauge Meter Panel (Cluster) are pretty neat. I just prefer the better viewing angle really. But if you are looking for the cleanest. I'd have to say DIN

the tape idea works well if you have a quality tape and clean the surface well but i voted lower DIN if you have the room there.

And yes...get the 3 gauge holder...looks much cleaner... can get them anywhere.

like this. I've always run with this in all my sports cars. Water temp, boost, volts/oil pressure. Sorted.

dinpanel-s.jpg

:lol: volts...

anyway i believe you should be easily able to read them at a glance. down near the cd player sucks for that

I put my boost gauge on the steering column with double sided tape. Im sure it would work on the dash with double sided tape also.

:lol: volts... anyway i believe you should be easily able to read them at a glance. down near the cd player sucks for that
I did have the volts/oil pressure to be fair... :D

Also reading at a glance..I've never found it particuarly labour intensive to view while on the DIN.

I love the clean finish install as well as the fact it's relatively 'out of sight' from a quick glance into the cabin from passersby and the authorities etc.

Still, each to their own eh?

Edited by Yippykiyay

I found that my A pillar mounted gauges have a reflection on the windscreen at night, it can make a nice blind spot when making right hand turns at night :( But A Pillar covers are easy to get and cheap, So if you don't like them you can just get a new cover :)

GOPR0311.JPG

double sided tape

^^^This on the dash I recon. Twin pillar will get you defected quicker than dash.

Hate the pilot look of gauges everywhere.

Aftermarket gauges everywhere + supra = nightmare/awful as f**k

DIN looks the best and if you need to look at them its not hard when your driving on the street quick glance at the lights or cruising along.

yeah 3 on the bonnet commo spec it! ohh and chrome cups so people can get blinded by your awesomeness...

nahh but really if you dont use the ac/heater vent thats the best place for it. if its down low and out of you sight you wont see it and you'll just forget about it, i mean theres a reason why the cluster is right in your line of sight

Ive got my two guages (oil press, Oil Temp) mounted down near my left knee. Out of sight, but easy to see with a quick glance. You dont need to be staring at them all day. Im not a fan of pillar or dash mounted guages. Too many looks crappola!

I do have a Dual A Pillar Mount but im convinced to make it a single mount, Too many gauges are pretty whack on a street car, but I vote single A Pillar gauge.

I had the same problem with my 180. Its in such great condition i didn't want to drill any holes PLUS i don't particularly like the look of gauges. I wanted a boost gauge for practical reasons. I mounted it in the glove box. I agree its not the best place, but i don't need to see it everyday, only occasionally, and it works perfectly there. I can close the glove box and my 180 look nice and neat again.

But its really just personal preference i suppose.

Good Luck

EDIT:Totally changed my mind on this, need to be able to see the boost gauge in my line of sight, have moved it. Stick it on the windscreen right next to the A-Pillar - Much better!

Edited by klv180sx

^^^ no offence but that is probably the dumbest place i've heard of someone putting a guage especially boost :lol:

Edited by Gurglar

Looking at a gauge on the dash is much quicker/easier than looking at din...

When I drive on road I normally cover my gauges with baseball cap :)

Centre ac vent for the win.

Anywhere else is just aids except for pillar.

Single Pillar. down waaaay low.

I cut the tail off my pillar mount thing so it sits prety much flush with the dash.

Damn! Beat me to it. I used to go ON the dash, but yeah, AC vents I think work better.

Old setup:

post-74579-0-46211200-1321941172_thumb.jpg

New setup:

post-74579-0-77088800-1321941197_thumb.jpg

My dash was f**ked anyway, so I used a mat to cover everything. The benefit of having the cups is that its easier to point to wherever yoyu decide to sit. I made that AC vent bracket, next design is going to try to point the gauges at the driver. BUT if one day you decide to move your seat, or you get a lower seat or whatever, then it'll be pointing in the wrong direction (yes, I am that anal about things that don't matter)