Sign in to follow this  
henmen&sons

restoring S13 J'S headlights

so ive finally got my self a very decent set of j's headlights shades.gif well they need a clean.... but as i was about to start cleaning them i stopped and jumped on the net to read up about the difference using the clear lenses, which il probably use.. so i found out some info on removing the lenses (which ive done now, thanks oven...) and on the chrome surround inside the light (il update pics soon) its faided and black. i was wondering if painting the inside surround with a heat proof chrome or something, would in increase the visibility more?

thanks..

If anything it would fk it up lights spread, the reflective chrome is there to reflect light, using chrome paint wont have the same effect. Best mod is to install a hid kit and adjust the lights spread accordingly. Oh and adding clears also helps too!

Edited by philmak

Those 2up lenses are a bit pricey for what they are...

Edited by thriller

Mine were the same. You'll need to remove the reflectors (pretty easy once the lenses are off) and have them re-chromed. Try hot rod/classic car workshops. Mine cost about $100 and look better than new.

I was looking into this a few months ago, for my J's that are collecting dust.

Would you recommend any places that can do it?

Did they chrome plate the reflectors or did they use another plating process, ie Rhodium plating?

Nice to see I'm not the only one who's got this!

thanks for the helpful info all, heres some pics to get a beter picture of what im saying

IMG_1126.jpg

IMG_1125.jpg

yeah rechrome time... will cost $60-$200 depending on where u go and how they do it

So ive come across a little issue, this little whatever youd call it shown by the arrow is the only thing that keeps me from taking the next step foward in a boss headlight assembly... ive tried to leaver the whole reflector, but didnt want to brake stuffff... i was wondering how others have overcome this little speedhump without braking thingsss..thumbsup.gif

IMG_1127.jpg

If that's one of the pivot points, it'll just pop out, much like when you take the corner marker indicators off from the headlights.

yeah it is one of those pivot points, just real akward to get out..

thanks mikk for the link, if only i didnt live 2+ hours away lol...