Sign in to follow this  
TrackBattle

Australian Drifting GP Round 2

great driving by lots of people, but umm.. yeh.....

interesting course requirments, very very technical...

some fairly obvious results, and some calls were very very very close....

main issue was........

sooo much downtime.......

we arrived at 10:30 am and left at 4:30pm today, all up i think there was easily more time the track was empty, than there was with vehicles on track.....

This surprises me - they did such a great job at Calder with keeping things moving.

This surprises me - they did such a great job at Calder with keeping things moving.

The thunderstorm on Saturday meant track closed at 4PM instead of 5:30PM as planned and meant Top 32 qualifying had to be done on Sunday morning, which went longer than planned due to the course being longer than Calder.

We all did our best to stay on track but the downtime was unavoidable, we've looked at where things failed and will definately be implementing some changes to help improve flow and keep on track entertainment.

lol awesome to see someone going for it. the modded knuckles vs stock knuckles debate is stupid as you can always go backwards regardless of how much lock you have (takes a bit more skill though), it's pulling it back and getting on the throttle early which is the difference, guy looks like he has the skills to put a good set of modified knuckles to use and do some decent flowing backies going.

We know who was on the podium but who was doing the cool shit?

Qualified in 2nd in the Cefiro. Then lunched a gearbox in Top 8. giving the other guy a gift run to the Top 4. =( Entries were killer all weekend.

We know who was on the podium but who was doing the cool shit?

Qualified in 2nd in the Cefiro. Then lunched a gearbox in Top 8. giving the other guy a gift run to the Top 4. =( Entries were killer all weekend.

yes you were rippin shit up all weekend until then

lol awesome to see someone going for it. the modded knuckles vs stock knuckles debate is stupid as you can always go backwards regardless of how much lock you have (takes a bit more skill though), it's pulling it back and getting on the throttle early which is the difference, guy looks like he has the skills to put a good set of modified knuckles to use and do some decent flowing backies going.

spot on... this weekend was my first weekend with knuckles and thbiggest difference is you can just turn it around and get back on it and it will still come back...

i like knuckles

rad event again

i think the 1st clipping point is to far out, cars have to run to wide then pretty much come to a stop, washes all your speed off to make the next clipping point.the first clipping point should be brought in a bit, even if its on the track surface so itll force drivers to run wide but not lose as much speed.

im pretty sure the idea was to intentionally slow them, to promote closer proximity.. worked in some cases, not others.

looking at the vids i would of loved to try the track. looked like heaps of fun and room for sic entrys

The thunderstorm on Saturday meant track closed at 4PM instead of 5:30PM as planned and meant Top 32 qualifying had to be done on Sunday morning, which went longer than planned due to the course being longer than Calder.

We all did our best to stay on track but the downtime was unavoidable, we've looked at where things failed and will definately be implementing some changes to help improve flow and keep on track entertainment.

how can you have an unavoidable downtime on Sunday, when you have to squeeze the Top 32 qualifying runs in to the Sunday schedule. The track should have been full of action.

how can you have an unavoidable downtime on Sunday, when you have to squeeze the Top 32 qualifying runs in to the Sunday schedule. The track should have been full of action.

The downtime was after the Top 32 qualifying while the judges compiled the scores. Again it was planned to run on the saturday with an expression session on straight after.

However with it occuring on Sunday and lack of time, we went straight into the Top 32 battles after the qualifying before lunch, other on track entertainment was not able to come in during that down time and the scores took longer than planned.

Again as I mentioned, we know where it fell over and know what measures to put into place for future events. You have to remember this is a new series and there will be teething issues which we will manage.

Would of been a great time to go check out the trade stands and even get a quote from Just Cars ;)

Give the event supporters a bloody break, and quit your winging about why there isn't any videos up yet, even if its a day or two after a huge event, people just don't seem to realise how much effort there is to put a quality video together.

Give the event supporters a bloody break, and quit your winging about why there isn't any videos up yet, even if its a day or two after a huge event, people just don't seem to realise how much effort there is to put a quality video together.

Exactly!

Since half of them were probably still in transit back to their own states ect yesterday/today anyway.

Although, we have to give it to Justin Power who flew from Melbourne to WA for a Wedding on Saturday then flew straight to Brisbane on the Sunday to fulfil his media commitments!

Correctamundo

We spent SUnday night and all day Monday packing up and I just got into our office and now have over 30 hours of footage to process. I the format we use it takes approximately 120 hours to convert and back up all the footage. This is why it takes a week or so to make our first video.

Hahahahhaha. You guys are weak sauce. Shit should be up by the end of the first day after the event.

Hahahahhaha. You guys are weak sauce. Shit should be up by the end of the first day after the event.

No way, the day OF the event!

We get that in SA quite often, wanting photos and vids immediately.

Can't wait to see the media when it becomes available, I'm loving all the Aussie drift stuff atm!

should be up B4 the event :ph34r:

Interesting track layout., i have a few questions.

Why were big Aus spec track edge to track edge, arse dragging scando entries yet again insisted upon when all the pre-ADGP talk and promotion was that they'd be removed?

What was the purpose of such wide clipping points that remove the natural line of the corners used for the event? From the limited footage seen above it appears very unnatural and removes the flow and speed from the course. Seems as if the intent was to force drivers to overshoot the natural apex in order to falsely create a 'backwards entry'.

Why were big Aus spec track edge to track edge, arse dragging scando entries yet again insisted upon when all the pre-ADGP talk and promotion was that they'd be removed?

What was the purpose of such wide clipping points that remove the natural line of the corners used for the event? From the limited footage seen above it appears very unnatural and removes the flow and speed from the course. Seems as if the intent was to force drivers to overshoot the natural apex in order to falsely create a 'backwards entry'.

Not being there you can make that assumption but the course was 3/4 outside clipping points and thus very challenging for those out there and (as much as we've heard Andrew thrash this word) made for good proximity in the battles.

Aussie drivers are spoilt with courses having nearly only inside clipping points on the courses they run and this pushed them beyond their comfort zones and the fact of the matter is if you were good enough you went out there and were able to produce what the judges were after.

If you had been there and seen a couple runs yourself from the viewing area you'd have seen this, videos don't do it justice mate.

Well anyway I made the trek up there with the team I.D pit crew towing Agges up there and it was a torturous drive both ways and the navman got us to take some retarded way back home that landed us in the middle of f**king nowhere with 200 kms to bathurst and only 20 liters of fuel to do it with so we had to siphon powerplus 110 out of the race car and into the BMW x5 we were towing with so we had a little more power in there for the drive through the mountains :lol: I had a great time meeting some drivers/people I've been only seeing on the forums/youtube in Jake Jones, Josh Boettcher, Levi Clarke, Scotty Mitchel and Got to see Mez and his ugly head again haha Hurry with the videos mateys!

The weekend wasn't totally smooth sailing as we had a drama with the car on Sunday before qualifying...Agges does 2 laps after he goes out in the beginning and the second is under grip, we're thinking wtf?? So the car comes in and we get told "there's no power" start looking in the engine bay and we see the gate has nearly come clean off the manifold!!! The 4 of us got it off and managed to find a arc welder, got the damm thing fixed and Agges went back out there to put in a decent run in for qualifying....all within 35 minutes!!! Pit crew for the win!!!!

The crowd wasn't as big as the Vic round but still, great atmosphere, great people and a weekend to remember. Thanks QR and Aus Drift GP!! Here's my photographic contribution:

2011-10-16144539.jpg

2011-10-16120753.jpg

2011-10-16120841.jpg

2011-10-16120853.jpg

Garage Anytime:

2011-10-16102013.jpg

2011-10-16102047.jpg

mate if it feels unnatural your doing it properly is what we were told at the drivers briefing ,dont know what was being smoked when they positioned the clipping points