Sign in to follow this  
Sir-D

Having two cars?

I had my 180 as my weekend car and bought a r32 GTR to be used as a daily

It didn't last long as a daily because i done so much work to it and smashed it

I now have a ute as a daily Its the best thing I've done

Never getting a performance car as a daily ever again

Yeah thats the key. idea is something cheap and reliable you wont be tempted to mod. just gets you from a to b.

yup 2 cars is a must if you plan on going crazy on the weekender and can afford to why not!

like kemp said try to stay away from jap imports if ya can, any other type of performance cars such as euros, v8s etc should be aight! I can't stand driving a boring ass slow car everday!

Had a clubby as a daily and a s13 as a weekender spent lots of money on the 13 but never really drove it as I always used the clubby lol, so sold both and only have the evo 7 for everything ATM does the job but I'm looking at getting a cbr-r bike for daily/work and keeping the evo for weekends and times I don't ride the bike.

Bought a daily a few months back. I hated putting so many kms on my S14, plus hated peakin Everytime I saw the popo.

Got a 1990 Camry for $600 with6 months reg!! Auto with pop brown interior... I actually love it.

Now I can go nuts on the 14!!

Best thing I ever did.

I really enjoy taking the S14 out now. I can work on it and not stress about having to get it all back together the same day.

Got a daily, the ceffy is off the road and I'm considering riding the pushie to work now that the weather isn't freezing in Canberra. Ceffy isn't registered though, so I'm not paying 2 lots of rego.

If you do get a 2nd car see if you can insure the weekender as a limited mileage vehicle. I used to have the ceffy on cheaper insurance as it was 'under 8000kms a year' insurance.

I have a bike and car. It's worked out well. Much cheaper than running two cars. When I want to work on the car it's no problem to have it off the road for a while.

i couldn't live without having two cars, eg civic for daily driving and very cheap to run. 600+ km to a tank that cost $40 to fill, than the 180 for weekends etc. rego is a killer but, one rego is enough let alone two.

hardest part about having two cars is wanting to mod them both... hurts the bank account thats for sure lolol

That's what I keep saying... you end up modding them both.

And if your daily is not a performance car, you still drive it hard... and then you have to replace parts with parts that can handle it... so you still end up having it a halfass daily.

Eg sticky tires, pads that takes ages to warmup, castor mods coz you find the s/wheel takes ages to return... etc.

If you cant drive your daily like a normal daily you need to grow up, you dont need to thrash cars all the time.

Pleasurablely painful.

Daily/tow/weekend buggy= patrol

Track car= 32.

It's alright but god damn I hate knowing how much $$$$ I have actually put into them lol

I dont really like having two cars. I've been doing it for 2 years. A 180 for the weekend and a subaru for a daily.

You kinda loose that thrill of driving a nice car everyday.

I'm the opposite, I enjoy driving my 180 more when ive been driving a slow auto carolla all week.

As much as I love my 180, there is no way I could live with it daily. Too low, too loud, only 2 seats, cant park it anywhere. So for me a second car is a must, not an option.

I dont really like having two cars. I've been doing it for 2 years. A 180 for the weekend and a subaru for a daily.

You kinda loose that thrill of driving a nice car everyday.

I'm the opposite, I enjoy driving my 180 more when ive been driving a slow auto carolla all week.

me too. driving a slow boring daily makes me appreciate my weekend car so much more

best idea. then you can go all out on the weekender

+1. It opens up a lot of possibilities for the tracker/weekender. I loved having my s13 daily but oh well. The 31 gets me from a-b.

hardest part about having two cars is wanting to mod them both... hurts the bank account thats for sure lolol

That's why u buy a POS so there is no temptation. I got my Car and in auto for that exact reason.

^ Yep, get a car you don't like. I hate my Falcon it's a piece of shit despite being only 6 years old. It's slow, ugly, doesn't handle very well, isn't that great a quality but I'll be damned if it's not perfect for what I want - a car I won't be tempted to modify and will only spend money on maintaining it when required.

I have 3 now. '97 Galant VR4 daily, Neverending project S13 and the new one, an AE86 I'm putting on club reg. Love them all, wouldn't do it any other way.

My last 3 dailies have been imports. Just have to get one that's hard to mod. Takes away the temptation!

Got a grandma spec corolla seca for a daily, stress free driving and parking. Half decent stereo is all I require in a daily to keep me occupied.

Heaps of good points here, but for me the problem is always wanting to drive my 180 - even though its nothing special i just love it and hate having to drive a different (boring) car.

The very few times the 180 has been at the mechanic for a day or 2 and i have borrowed my mums car (1998 laser) and even my dads (1994 HSV GTS manual), i just miss my car so much. i really love driving it. :wub:

I think the hardest thing would actually be getting in the daily everyday and resisting the weekender. Although i must say getting into the 180 after not being able to drive it feels 100 times better. so if you can resist ur weekender, having 2 cars would have its benefits...

Also couldn't go without two cars now. Bought my Delica because needed something practical, S12 with coils, locker, driving on rubbish road and along with a crappy engine was becoming a worry. Rule i'm trying to stick to is not to get to serious with modding the daily for now.

My last 3 dailies have been imports. Just have to get one that's hard to mod. Takes away the temptation!

Sell you a charade, hahaha.

I've always managed to have atleast 2 cars. At one stage I had 5 cars all rego'd at the one time. Was pretty cool coz u could drive whatever you feel like. Use to have a 180sx (weekender), s14, and 2 charades. And was tempted to drive the 180 everywhere

Since buying my own place(unit) it's pretty hard to store two cars.

Down to a s15 and yep it's getting modded

If you cant drive your daily like a normal daily you need to grow up, you dont need to thrash cars all the time.

I don't threash it at all. But I drive enough to have a period of hard driving that some might call long - so things just don't keep gripping. If you drove so much in such traffic I guarantee you'd crack it once in a while and just be like fuuuuu and do it.

Sounds Like im doing it the wrong way,

ive got a R31 NA As a Weekender/fun car

and a 180sx Turbo For a daily,

having two cars is always good, in most ways, as if you write one off (hopefully not) but you've always got a spare you can use, (as long as its streetable)

Negs

2 x Rego

2 x insurance

2 x cars to service.

8 Tyres to maintain

Fighting the urge to drive the Silvia anyway (this can be hard)

Depressed feeling you get from driving a boring daily

Pros

Save money on fuel

Keep the Ks low on your Silvia

Can drive it on a Saturday night around town without Shitting pants. (save on laundry bill)

Can carry mates/family. (Silvia requires passengers to have no legs)

Avoid getting defected/EPA once in your Silvia and the second car pretty much pays for itself. (THAT'S THE BIGGY!)

I'm sure there's more to add to this list.

Weight up the pros/cons and go from there.

lmfao so true, i can't drive my prelude anymore i just wana drive the silvia! that and i'm used to the HD Clutch in the s15 lmfao when i get in the prelude im like ahhh full riding the clutch its so light!

exactly as this guys says..

not all cars need to be raped.. if your thrashing your stock NA daily, dont..

i have my 180 that i drive sometimes, but the daily is an 04 toyota echo.. stock as a rock, stock wheels, stock everything.. and it is awesome!!! best feeling ever driving around and not pooping yourself whenever cops roll past or get behind you or anything..

as someone said above, having a car that won't get defected pays for itself, as long as its 4cyl, small, and you dont drive like a c*ckhead..

I don't own two cars per say but drive the gf's rio around now as I got sick of being in traffic all the time in my Silvia.

Has cut down alot of k's & the rio barely uses any fuel, auto too so traffic is less frustrating. She's upgrading to a forester soon so I'll have that next :D paying two Regos would be a pain in the ass.

That said I've wanted a ute for ages just to be able to move things around from time to time & this thread has me back on carsales lol.

i purposely bought a non turbo car as a daily so i wouldnt be tempted to mod the f**k out of it.