Sign in to follow this  
rckless

Gig Photography

Just wondering who has done some gig photos? Any advice as i have been asked to photograph a gig and its something i want to try..

I have a canon 60d was thinking of using my 50mm f.1.8 instead of a my 15-18mm, i also have a 580exII on the way, does that sound like a alright set up for this?

Thought the 50mm would shutter quicker so there would be less blurring if i couldnt run a flash, dont think i should run a flash either..

thanks

Yeah I used a 50mm 1.8 last week.

Didn't use flash, it was quick enough with a little bit of a bumped ISO.

Thing to keep in mind, the lights at the gig are constant on and off, with different colors and what not, try to find the right white balance to suit all the colors.

It's a head ache, but go in early when they are setting up and adjust it before hand, when they test lights (If it's on a stage) that's what I usually do.

Oh and get in early if they are big, seriously you can't shoot from all the way back, I learned this the first time shooting a gig. Had to squeeze my way in and onto the stage :lol:

Don't be scared to jump on stage too, security or not, jump on and take some close ups :thumbsup:

260299_10150196537965755_559480754_7368800_704023_n.jpg

Took this on stage, down low at my mate. The colors in the pic are what I wanted, they do change though as the lights switch colors, just have to time it right.

Stages for bands usually have 2-3 floodlights, so you can go flashlesh no problems.

Just be prepared for limited access around the actual stage, and if so, you are stuck with the lens ranges you have.

If your subject moves around alot, you will have all sorts of trouble shooting them with big appearture and slow shutter speeds. Thats when a flash comes in VERY handy.

I usually shoot with a 70-200 f2.8because im lazy. My subjects are usually dancers, so they move around

yall be okkkkkk. learn the techniques yourself! thats the best part. and keep the secrets you find to yourself lol.

haha thanks guys, not looking for pigeon hole myself into any specific type of photography just keen to give anything a go..

you should be fine with that set-up, I've got the 1000D and usually only get limited by the 1600 ISO when shooting with the 50mm f1.8 so with the 60D you'll be sweet.

A mistake I made was trying to go too wide with the aperture to get the quickest shutter speed and then getting too shallow DoF, try not get much lower then 2.8 if you can. Have a play and you'll be fine.

The 580EXII can do some magic, but best to check with the artists first about flash.

Sign in to follow this