Sign in to follow this  
blake12345

Front Main Seal

Hey,

Ive noticed my auto sr is leaking oil from the front crank main seal. I have had a read and looks fairly easy to replace.

I got under the car last night to see if my rattle gun will fit and i cant get it to fit. So i was wondering is there a way i can 'lock' my engine so i can use a torque wrench or should i remove my radiator shroud?

If i should remove the radiator shroud how do i do it? I undid the 2 bolts at the top last night and it is now loose but wont just pull out. Also if i have the shroud out should i put electric fans?

Anyway sorry for all the questions im just trying to get my ca ron the road asap.

Cheers Blake

never undo bolts with a torque wrench for starters.

pull out the fan and the shroud together.

when you tried to pull out the radiator did you take off the top and bottom hoses and the trans cooler lines?

You have to take the radiator out and get it off with a rattle gun. I used a crankshaft pulley remover to take off the pulley (you can buy them from supercheap).

Be careful when plucking out the old seal as well because if you damage the walls anywhere at the front, it will never seal properly.

Ok so it'll be easier to pull the whole radiator, shroud and fan out together? I didnt try to remove the radiator just the plastic shroud.

I have 2 different pulley pullers so hopefully one of them will work.

Yeh ive noticed you have to be careful.

Also make sure when u pull it off you have a helping hand to keep the puller in a firm position because one slip and you will chip it and need a new

balancer

Hey just thought id jump on and say ive replaced the seal. It was pretty easy to remove with the radiator out. Im going to replace all the belts while im at it. Just had one question. What does the bolt into the crank need to be tightened to?

You have to take the radiator out and get it off with a rattle gun. I used a crankshaft pulley remover to take off the pulley (you can buy them from supercheap).

Be careful when plucking out the old seal as well because if you damage the walls anywhere at the front, it will never seal properly.

When I was replacing my front main seal, the sleeve was totally fkt. Had to replace that along with the main seal

Hey,

Just wondering about the tightness off the bolt into the crank. I had a look and saw i need to get it to between 145 - 150nm. Now because ive got an auto its abit hard to do it with a torque wrench as the engine turns. I was wondering if me doing the bolt up with the rattle gun is going to be enough or do i need to work out a way of stopping the engine turning over and get the torque wrench on there?

Thansk Blake

The motor spins in the direction of the bolt, so it will tighten up slightly (and resist comming loose) while the motor is running. If you can get onto it with a rattle gun it wont hurt.

-dan