Sign in to follow this  
m00nie

Help me pick a bike!

Well im getting my bike license (again, let the old one expire) and I'm actually getting a bike of my own this time. Now I've ridden my mate's cbr250rr quite a lot in the past so I know roughly how they perform etc. But I'm tossing up the ideas of an earlier modelled ZXR250© ninja or the 2011 ninja 250R.

CBR250RR- pro's/con's- fairly quick bike for a 250cc. Handle decently despite the cactus turning circle. Are an in-line 4cyl. BUT are getting pretty old now. Most have been thrashed. Odo's are known to have been changed sometimes. Are a grey import. Not quite as big as the zx2r.

ZXR250©- pro's/con's- are a pretty much the twin of the "babyblade". Handle a bit better than the cbr. Suspension is more adjustable. Has the in-line 4cyl. Looks a little better and sounds better (IMO). BUT again, getting pretty old/ thrashed etc. The intake pipes over the handle bars could get quite annoying. And a grey import too.

2011 Ninja 250R-pro's/con's- it's brand new( first owner). Won't have 20+ year old problems. You get warranty. Looks quite nice! Not as hard to find parts for. BUT it's only a parallel twin and sounds like a bag of sh*t.

So which ones have people had experience with and what are your thoughts? It will be for a daily commute to work not really for a high speed hills run. But with that said, I like the power to move quick.

cbr250rr or zxr250© or 2011 ninja 250r?

my heart would say the cbr but my head will tell me the new ninja. obviously the cbr is getting old, but for a 250, those things are little rockets and handle awesome. much more engineering went into that bike then the new ninja, and is technically a far superior bike.

for trouble free motoring the later ninja can't be beat. they're based on the old GPX which was pretty much bullet proof, and now days second hand ones are getting quite cheap.

me personally, i went the newer ninja route because i didn't want to spend more time in the workshop than on the road, but if i were to have my time again, i'd probably take the risk and go the cbr, just such a better bike.

eitherway, a 250 is always going to be a 250, you'll start having real fun on a bike when you move up to the 600/1000 region. just get something now that can get you through your learning period, then get rid of it asap and buy a real bike. have fun mate!

I am seriously considering the Hyosung GT650R. Lams approved at 40kw, then have it removed and 59kw. 2 bikes in one and only $7.5k with 2 year warranty. I am 6'2" and over 100kgs so need a bigger bike and this is it. Can't beat the price or the fact it can get more power when the restriction is gone.

Ninja 650RL

2009_Kawasaki_Ninja_650R.jpg

- Brand New

- Fuel Injected

- ABS

- More torque than a 250

- More insurable than some 20yo POS

- Apparently the only difference between it and the non restricted Ninja 650R is simply a throttle stop.

When I service my CBR250RR, fit a new front tyre, and retrim the seats I'm thinking of selling it.

It's painted in the factory "Manly as f*ck Purple".

You should buy it. Yep Yep.

I've had a look at the Hyo's and the build quality just seems dodgey compared to the new kwaka. And quality of the older ninja or the babyblade seem far superior even compared to the Hyosung's.

I'm still leaning to the cbr option as I've done all my road riding on one so they seem like familiar turf. It's the only fact that they're getting old now that deters me.

@sly-031. PM me details. Could be very interested. ;)

Ninja 650RL

- Brand New

- Fuel Injected

- ABS

- More torque than a 250

- Apparently the only difference between it and the non restricted Ninja 650R is simply a throttle stop.

+1

Theres also a naked frame tourer style bike, think its the ER6NL model. same engine though.

And yeah only restriction is a screw in the throttle so id doesnt open 100% and some electronic limiter (think its top speed) under the seat. its in-line on one wire, so a matter of a snip and a re-join. About 5 mins work to have a full powered 650.

Ninja 650RL

- Brand New

- Fuel Injected

- ABS

- More torque than a 250

Mate of mine has the naked version.. I think its ER-6NL as above. Awesome bike for a learner, goes great, looks great, sounds great and doesn't sit at 10k RPM in 6th gear on the highway like my 250 ninja :ph34r:

Personally I reckon the naked version looks heaps better, the faired version looks more like a sport tourer than a sport bike as its quite upright.. Even though its called a 650 ninja, its nothing like the 600 supersport ninja.. Kwaka just calls everything a ninja these days.

I would still pick the cbr, they are just awesome :P (bias to the max)

I couldn't justify buying a brand new learner legal bike when I'll only upgrade it in a year or two.

I havn't done much research on the zxr250 but I'm lead to believe that they aren't as common as cbr's? Meaning that if there were things that did go wrong. wouldn't it be more expensive on parts for replacement?

Ninja's are quite good looking I'll admit that. but the v twin is a turn off.

If you're thinking about keeping the bike for a long time, maybe it is best if you find a bike like what was mentioned above that could be de-restricted so that would be cheaper in the long run.

Advice was given to me by many bike riders. "You'll get bored of the 250cc and want more after 6+ months." It's true. Even though the 250cc bike outhandles my skill. I still want to get a bigger bike.

In all honesty I havn't had a hiccup with my cbr since I've bought it and it continues to impress me everytime I flick the throttle or throw it into a corner.

My dilemma is now is that bike is my only transportation, work nightshifts & it's bloody freezing these days/nights. So sell it, buy a car or freeze my balls off. it's depressing :(

Didn't know they sold the ER6-N in Aus, let alone as a learner legal bike!

Great bike! Seat's a bit firm for extremely long rides (my mate had blisters on both buttcheeks after a 780km trip in monsoonal rain. lol)

Do Recommend.

if u plan to use it everyday, i d suggest to get a trouble free bike since u probably not want to affect your journey in the morning.

Got EFI ninja. Once off the R-date, get a 600 or 1000.

that's most the people do.

Especially Ninja is not much more expensive than those unknown condition CBRs

I couldn't justify buying a brand new learner legal bike when I'll only upgrade it in a year or two.

My dilemma is now is that bike is my only transportation, work nightshifts & it's bloody freezing these days/nights. So sell it, buy a car or freeze my balls off. it's depressing :(

I bought a new 250 ninja.. the price of a new one is barely more than used ones, plus you get warranty and new tyres, clutch, etc.

If I could go back I would probably buy a used ER-6NL for only a couple grand more, but I think resale is so good on LAMS bikes its one of the only cases where I would buy a now motor vehicle..

As for your dilemma, keep bike and buy better gear. With winter leathers and a neck warmer you shouldn't have any issue.

For sure, gear goes first then bike not to mention unreliable bike

I do ride work sometimes and finishes 1 am last night. It's not too bad

I bought a new 250 ninja.. the price of a new one is barely more than used ones, plus you get warranty and new tyres, clutch, etc.

If I could go back I would probably buy a used ER-6NL for only a couple grand more, but I think resale is so good on LAMS bikes its one of the only cases where I would buy a now motor vehicle..

As for your dilemma, keep bike and buy better gear. With winter leathers and a neck warmer you shouldn't have any issue.

Hmm that is a good idea

I'd suggest getting a cheap cbr now to get you through until your full license, then you can spend your hard earned money on something decent! You'll always get your money back on a cbr because they are still popular.

Don't waste your time with a hyosung, they are crap and the build quality is shite! After 6 months my mates one looked like it had been sitting by the ocean for 20 years

Edited by nakameguro

If i was starting out again, i'd get a CBR250RR.. sense says dont.. but its a bike that just screams... and i personally feel like its one of those 'fun' bikes. Awesome engine note, fun to ride, handles sweet, easy to throw around and pick up if you drop it. Hard on throttle or brakes and theres a much less chance of you killing yourself :).

But for me, ill stick with a 750 now :)

250RR and used Ninja about the same price in SA.

I had seen someone selling a ninja as low as under $4k.

for that price, i would go Ninja. so i

250RR and used Ninja about the same price in SA.

I had seen someone selling a ninja as low as under $4k.

for that price, i would go Ninja. so u have hassle free till u get another bike.

and spend the rest of money on "proper" gear.

buy some good one, then u dont need to upgrade any time soon.

Edited by Vincent--TT

for that price, i would go Ninja. so u have hassle free till u get another bike.

and spend the rest of money on "proper" gear.

buy some good one, then u dont need to upgrade any time soon.

For sure.. I've spent over $2k on gear - alpinestars leathers, shoei helmet etc. Good gear will provide the best protection as well as comfort, which is important so you don't get distracted..

Why not motard? Aprillia sxv550. Will out run, out brake, out handle a 250rr any day of the week and look 50000 times better doing it.

Why not motard? Aprillia sxv550. Will out run, out brake, out handle a 250rr any day of the week and look 50000 times better doing it.

Each to their own.. but I don't think you'll find many people who think a motard looks better than a race replica.

They don't look anything like a gp bike though. IMO They look like a little toy with stickers to make it look like a real bike. Absolutely agree though each to there own.

They don't look anything like a gp bike though. IMO They look like a little toy with stickers to make it look like a real bike. Absolutely agree though each to there own.

Yeah I can see what you mean about CBRs, but the LAMS kwakas look pretty sweet imo. :thumbsup:

look into the Migelli 250cc

but make sure its the liquid cooled one and not the air cooled one

look awesome, italian styling, and yeh, look awesome

look into the Migelli 250cc

but make sure its the liquid cooled one and not the air cooled one

look awesome, italian styling, and yeh, look awesome

But i heard negatives on different bike forums. And chinese brand.... with good look.

Go to something more common. Usually less chance to go wrong. if really go wrong, there are heaps of people have solutions.

and common bikes easier to sel when u upgrade.

be safe

mito_sp525.jpg

Guys this was my Learner Bike from Day 1 - Italian Love Cagiva 125cc SP525 2stroke "This is a weapon around $8999 but the extra dollars go a long way shove a Jolly Moto Exhaust and just click the gears a go hard!!!

Very surprised this has not been showed!!!

Check bike sales for your dealer

crazy small service intervals. biggest issue.

but if i had my time again this is what i'd choose, and in all honesty it SHOULD NOT be on the lams list, comes no where near the power to weight limit but it's on there somehow.