Sign in to follow this  
Siddr20

Lack of submissions for photocomp?

We have so many photographers here and yet we only see maybe 5-8 people submitting pics into the photocomp.

I would like to know the main reason so we can improve and get more entries in.

Is it the theme? Do you find it too hard? Or is it boring? Or do you only submit when you think you can win??

Your lucky I made the rules a little open as to when the pic can be taken. Imagine if I said you had it to take in that month. I bet no one will enter lol.

If you got suggestions I would love to hear it.

Thanks

prob good idea for ALL to see what the other entrants have entered before the winner is announced rather than see all the pics on the last day of the month

just a suggestion.

Just a suggestion. Dont make it theme based. Just make it post the best photo you have taken this month and at the end of the month we vote to see which one everyone liked the best.

I think the real issue i find is i cant be bothered to head out just to shoot something suitable for the comp.

I just forget a lot of the time... This month I didnt have my camera and dont think I have any portait shots actually... But yeah its dissapointing to only get 6 odd entries a month (usually the same people too im guessing)

Just a suggestion. Dont make it theme based. Just make it post the best photo you have taken this month and at the end of the month we vote to see which one everyone liked the best.

I think the real issue i find is i cant be bothered to head out just to shoot something suitable for the comp.

That would be too hard for some of the less experienced photographers.

I think theme based is really good!

The main reason I haven't entered some of them is time, themes are good in my opinion.

When I enter it's really a rush, I just started photography and have no pics in my collection to submit, so finding something within the month that suits the theme is the hardest part.

I think keep to the theme based competition, it gives everyone here a better chance, noobs and pros!

Main reason I enter, is to keep the competition going, if I can't be bothered, and he/she can't be bothered then there would be a couple entries. Even though mine aren't the best, I still enter for fun.

And it's not really about winning the prizes, it's having a go every month and seeing what other people do!

For this months comp, i went and done some light experimenting and thought I'd enter one of them in.

It can be as simple as a click, or as technical as you want.

I'd encourage more people to submit next month!!

Ive just started photograpy but im keen on entering, I have next to no photos at the moment though so ill leave it for next months.

I think the theme is good, It takes people out of their comfort zone. If there were no limit people might just stick with the same landscape pics every month.

I doubt ill have much chance of winning but thats no fuss to me, Im interested on seeing how my first comp pic holds up compared to one ill take for comps down the track.

rolled camber i now think i know which picture is yours from that comment lol and my reason is im generally lazy or just think hell there prob not good enough anyway so i dont bother lol

Don't let the winner pick the next theme. The detail and potrait themes aren't that interesting imo, whereas clouds got heaps of people in. The right theme will get people submitting, so you should choose them wisely Sid.

I also don't mind the 'best photo you've taken this month' idea. Usually new photographer are getting better by massive leaps every month so they'll want to use their best work, so leaving it open to any photo from the month can make it easier to get people to submit.

I blame time constraints and been lazy.

Work M-F, go home deal with kids. Weekend deal with the kids and do maintenance around the house.

A month is plenty of time to submit but it just doesn't happen for me.

Plus my collection is limited so when a new theme pops up I generally don't have something for it.

I have an old photo I would have liked to submit for portrait but it didn't happen.

Jay is right.

I just started messing around with photography, and I get excited when there is a new theme. The detail theme I was like, what the hell can I take for it?

Experimented, went out, done different stuff, bonded with my 60D, almost had sex with it, until I found a pic I was happy with.

Sure it was a pain in the ass, but I learned a heap of stuff about my camera, for example. You can't have sex with it. It's impossible.

Messing around with F stops, ISO, shutter, etc, to get something I like..

At the end of the day, everyone have a go, submit at least a point and shoot pic!!

I guess I'm just lazy and forgetful too. I had a couple shots to use for this one but just forgot. Compared to other places there's not really a lot of activity here most of the time.

I think some people might be intimidated and thing why bother... that's usually the case.

As for themes... themes are what the make the competition good for a couple reasons. Firstly, it gives everyone a common ground and a focus point.

Secondly, and most importantly, if you have the time to shoot for the competition it may take you out of your comfort zone, and make you look at doing something differently or something completely new. Which is the value of these comps. It's not the prizes, it's that they can push you along as a tog and help you improve.

The detail and potrait themes aren't that interesting imo

maybe not to you. but in reality photographers worth their salt will take themes that they dont find interesting and find a way to make it so. thats the only way anyone will progress as a photographer. taking the same pics of the same themes... yawn.

if people are not entering pics for a particular theme its not because the theme is boring or stupid its because the photographers are not that good at getting out of their comfort zone and trying something new. doing this will even make you look at the stuff you shoot now and work out new ways of shooting it, new ideas to try.

my excuse for not entering is the fact im just slack. having 3 kids to feed/raise/entertain as well as working 8 hours with up to 3 hours of travel time takes up most of my day, the rest is spent relaxing while i have the chance.

but keep the themes, without them the comps will be judged on who got to shoot the most interesting subject rather than who best represents the subject on hand. photography comps should be about the skill/versatility/creativity of the photographer and not the popularity of the subject.

take this with a grain of salt tho, haha

Yeah, you’re right. I just like themes a bit more defined then just ‘detail.’ But they do push the photographer, which is a good thing.

The category has to be broad enough for interpretation, if it was macro instead of detail half the people would complain about not having a macro lens

Don't need a macro lens, look at my portfolio on my macro stuff. It's just a reversed lens.

It's not about what you have and don't have to take pics, It's about taking what you have, and experimenting with it.

Trying new things with the camera, different setups, different thoughts.

For example, Jay's pics in the random thread, like he said, you just have to look at things at a different perspective.

Thank for taking your time to write down some suggestions. Something to really think about for next comp.

Keep them coming. I like the debate about theme vs no theme. Have to agree with Jay tho.

Sign in to follow this