Sign in to follow this  
ST41NS

Another Bike Learner

Don't know why people are suggesting 600 sport bikes. Best LAMS bike IMO would be a cb400, good all round bike and JUST comes in under the LAMS limit.

Just make sure you get one from 2008 onwards, anything before that is an import and doesn't have the same fuel injection or vtec.

Check out netrider.net.au too, good riders forum with heaps of info.

After a hot looking bike, Even tho I know a 250 isnt a sexy bike... Is there anything in the range? Like a cbr250 ?

Ducati monster 600 is the best looking LAMS bike hands down, they are f**king hot.

What kind of riding are you wanting to do? Stop start city, suburban roads, freeway/highway, twisty hills, occasional dirt/unsealed roads? Looking for a sport/race style/standard upright/crusier harley chopper low seated/ bodied bike?

sport/race looking bike, Just cruising around the city. twisty runs when my skill level grows. Its only a weekender, and come out on a nice day.

Nearly all the bikes mentioned here are rubbish and a waste of money buying one on your L's.

CB400 and Ducati Monster are an exception. Nice bikes (especially the monster!).

If your not very heavy then a Cagiva Mito 125 or Aprillia Rs125 are great little bikes to learn on (and two stroke smells great). KTM supermotard 450 is a great bike also.

Don't go and buy one of those Kawaski Ninja's , CBR 250, Yamaha rs125 etc etc Sure they try and look like their bigger 600 and litre cousins but are rubbish and try hardish, not to mention painfully slow!

Nearly all the bikes mentioned here are rubbish and a waste of money buying one on your L's.

CB400 and Ducati Monster are an exception. Nice bikes (especially the monster!).

If your not very heavy then a Cagiva Mito 125 or Aprillia Rs125 are great little bikes to learn on (and two stroke smells great). KTM supermotard 450 is a great bike also.

Don't go and buy one of those Kawaski Ninja's , CBR 250, Yamaha rs125 etc etc Sure they try and look like their bigger 600 and litre cousins but are rubbish and try hardish, not to mention painfully slow!

agreed.. if you have the cash, and you said up to 10k id be going for the Ducati Monster 400 without a doubt.

http://www.bikesales.com.au/all-bikes/private/details.aspx?R=10702901&keywords=lams%20monster&__Ntk=BikeAll&__Nne=15&__Dx=mode%20matchany&__No=15&__D=lams%20monster&silo=1400&seot=1&__sid=12AC74C7D1A5&__N=1432%20604%201430%201429%201626%201428&__Ns=p_IsPoa_Int32|0||p_RankSort_Int32|1||p_HasPhotos_Int32|1||p_Make_String|0||p_Model_String|0||p_YearMade_Int32|1||p_PriceSort_Decimal|1||p_PhotoCount_Int32|1&__Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&Cr=4&__Ntt=lams%20monster&trecs=73&__Qpb=1

I would only recommend the Aprilla or Cagiva 125 to people weighing under 75kg.

They might be powerful (for a 125), but they are pissweak. Rear tyres are no wider than my downhill bike's (only a slight exaggeration).

If you want to stick to a 250 sports bike, then the Ninja or the FZR250RR would be my choice. Or you could go the wider spread CBR250RR. I've ridden all and they're all good fun with a bit of power.

I would agree with the above though. If you have up to $10k, the Ducati Monster is a good choice. Just sell it and get something bigger as soon as you can :P

I recommend the cb400. They are great bikes plenty of torque and a fair bit of up and go without being to dangerous. Also the straight four sounds amazing with some pipes and you can beat the exoskeleton look.

I'd recommend you don't go anywhere near the 250 range because the instant your off your p's you'll want to upgrade.

Another thing to think about is the more presence (volume and size) the bike has on the road the less likely are you to be hit off it.

ninja 650RL, lams approved, ticks all your boxes.

326689423_3f1789847c.jpg

i still say the sv650s with faring looks best

just add a nice pipe and maybe a solo rear end, or gsxr tail if you can be bothered

I'm contemplating starting riding. Got no idea where to start. I know cars, but don't know bikes. Haven't ridden a road bike before, done the dirt bikes though but last time i was on one of those was in 2004/5?

So yeh where to begin? What's a decent bike to start with. CBR gets a few nods here. Want something with a nice note to it maybe. Also how much is good gear roughly i.e. what should I be spending and looking out for?

And finally license. Just ring up and go in to get one?

Sorry for being all noobish but I am just that when it comes to riding. Bit worried about road safety. Only other cars being dickheads and not looking other than that I think I can handle myself on the road.

-Jamie

Edit:

Also this will be my only vehicle too. So will winter suck? Plan on getting the bike and getting some serious experience under my belt before next winter hits so hopefully I'm safe and don't come off because f**k that.

I'm contemplating starting riding. Got no idea where to start. I know cars, but don't know bikes. Haven't ridden a road bike before, done the dirt bikes though but last time i was on one of those was in 2004/5?

So yeh where to begin? What's a decent bike to start with. CBR gets a few nods here. Want something with a nice note to it maybe. Also how much is good gear roughly i.e. what should I be spending and looking out for?

And finally license. Just ring up and go in to get one?

Sorry for being all noobish but I am just that when it comes to riding. Bit worried about road safety. Only other cars being dickheads and not looking other than that I think I can handle myself on the road.

-Jamie

Edit:

Also this will be my only vehicle too. So will winter suck? Plan on getting the bike and getting some serious experience under my belt before next winter hits so hopefully I'm safe and don't come off because f**k that.

Mate first thing when buying the bike make shore you comfortable on in not because someone told you they are great bike.

I seen show-offs on CBR600 struggling to keep up with 400cc scooter in the hills, it’s not what you ride but how you ride it but having fast nice bike can help a bit to.

Safety wise well it’s amazing how little respect or care car drivers have this days one thing riding bike will make you much safer and batter driver, I ride all year round and amount of close calls is amazing last night I almost got run of the road by some dick over taking me when car pulled out from side street instead of slowing down he merged to my line almost forcing me to mount the kerb.

And today I got cut of twice one even gave me international singe of F@#K u with big smile on his face , i think some of this prick do it on purpose.

Winter riding is not a problem if you have good gear then i see why you should have any problem riding during winter, only thing riding in the rain is always pain in the back .

One thing i can recommend is make shore you buy best gear you can get there is no point buying nice bike and not having any money left for the riding gear, If you spend around $800 to $1000 you can get real good gear that will last you years.

1st bike that fits you best or the one you just must have :)

2nd gear thats good quality and is comfortable if you can buy the gear befor you buy the bike

3rd Never assume car driver see you or that they care if you live or die.

Cheers mate. Yeh a fellow friend who rides is trying to steer me toward 650's as they are 'faster and better' but his old one is $6500. 24***kms Suzuki SV650 (2009 model). But for $6000 i can have BRAND NEW HONDA OR Kawasaki on road. A 250 yes but still for a learner surely this does not matter as i'm using it to commute to work. Basically from Waterloo Corner Rd down either Salisbury Highway to Wingfield or down Pt Wakefield Road to Wingfield. Also up to Ingle Farm sometimes to visit family.

My dad who used to ride said don't do it. Said it's damn dangerous. He had two crashes one where a car pulled out of a driveway right in front of him had no chance to brake so he hit it at 60km/h and went over the car and slid. Next accident was him being stupid in the hills and taking a corner too fast which he just slid out. But yeh he does not recommend. And from you guys saying about daily occurences it's got me scared but still keen!

Cheers mate. Yeh a fellow friend who rides is trying to steer me toward 650's as they are 'faster and better' but his old one is $6500. 24***kms Suzuki SV650 (2009 model). But for $6000 i can have BRAND NEW HONDA OR Kawasaki on road. A 250 yes but still for a learner surely this does not matter as i'm using it to commute to work. Basically from Waterloo Corner Rd down either Salisbury Highway to Wingfield or down Pt Wakefield Road to Wingfield. Also up to Ingle Farm sometimes to visit family.

My dad who used to ride said don't do it. Said it's damn dangerous. He had two crashes one where a car pulled out of a driveway right in front of him had no chance to brake so he hit it at 60km/h and went over the car and slid. Next accident was him being stupid in the hills and taking a corner too fast which he just slid out. But yeh he does not recommend. And from you guys saying about daily occurences it's got me scared but still keen!

There is many bike to pick from sv 650 is a sweet bike but bit pricey for what they are have a look at Suzuki GS500f they have just bit more power than 250s but hips more torque good for highway work.

Even the new Hyosung bike are real nice and well-priced, and super cheap to fix if you drop it.

The other thing if you want to save money by commuting on the motorcycle makes shore that you can service it yourself or you may find they are quite expensive to own.

If I want to service my bike at dealers they wanted

$300 for oil change every 6000ks

$400 for spark plugs change every 12ks + oil $300

$600 for rear tyre got lucky and got it for$240 on special did 9000ks :sick:

24.000ks service about $1000 with valve clearance check but that’s for M109R and they pricey to run

yes you can save money as long you can work on them yourself.

Best you can do is buy cheap bike to learn on that way if you don’t like it you want loose too much $$$.

And yes riding bikes is dangerous but it’s also good fun who wants to live forever any way :beer:

Yeh well i did a rough insurance quote through insure my ride and it told me $1990 full comp.

Just did one through SGIC where they asked me which age i got my license and had i had any accidents (17, and 0 respectively) and for the 2011 CBR250R it gave me an agreed value of $5900 (which is what the bike costs with ABS anyways) and costing me $576 annually. And included is:

Full coverage for your motorcycle

Covers other vehicles or property you might damage

Covers the repair or replacement of protective gear

So sounds pretty good.

The whole age when you obtained driver's license (so not rider's license) said this:

"If they don't have a riders licence but own the motorcycle, call us on 132 132."

But I plan on paying for the permit and doing the rider safe course (L's) before purchasing a motorbike anyway. Or can you ride a motorbike once obtaining the piece of paper (permit) before Rider Safe?

Seen this:

http://adelaide.gumtree.com.au/c-Cars-Vehicles-Motorbikes-Parts-motorbikes-motorcycles-scooters-motorbikes-motorcycles-Suzuki-gs500-2005-model-learners-approved-W0QQAdIdZ309451101

Suzuki GS500 with just over 20,000kms on clock. 2005 model. Comes with all the gear too but asked him whether it's for a small bloke (I'm 5 feet 5) so yeh....

from all this i would pick the GT250r if you can drop price it to around $3500 - $3800 it would be good buy 2010 it should be EFI to so, i think they around $5000 new that could be the way to go.

That Gs500 is way over prices i picked one up for my brother 2007-08 the F model with 1500ks for just bit over $5000 with 1 year rego and from bike shop to, this guy is dreaming you can offer him $3000 tops with reg and RWC.

zzr-250 is to price for the age.

All this bikes are good to start on but try to drop the prices a bit market is saturated and lots of people need to sale.

coming into warm weather the prices are gonna get higher.

i started on a GPX 250, the same engine was in the ZSZR250, and also the recent edition of the Ninja.

now if your talking ninjas by name.. keep a few things in mind

old Australian Ninja ZX2R inline 4 cyl with abouy 18-20,000rpm ( these are the comparable bikes to the early CBRRrrrrrrr 250's )

Canadian Ninja ZZR250 twin cyl red line about 14

American Ninja GPX250 same as above

all three of these bikes can be found in australia with Ninja stickers on them.

NEW australian Ninja is same engine as the GPX and ZZR just modernised a bit. it doesnt have blistering performance or a huge red line. it will how ever be a reliable bike and when ridden properly can be quite fast. as with any bike a lot comes down to the rider.. ask the 2 R6 riders i passed on my GPX250 in the twisties..

GS500 is a great bike for an L plate its larger capacity allows for easier riding at highway speeds and the extra size allows for a pillions comfort/weight when your capable/licensed for it.

the modern Hyosungs are quite good bikes, the earlier models had a lot of issues.

Dont be swayed to a bike just because it looks pretty.. what are you.. a chick??? fibre glass panels and fairings are EXPENSIVE. and on your Ls you have a great chance of dropping it.

a few things i would consider before purchasing a bike. how heavy are you? how tall are you? how far you going to ride daily? will it be traffic or country roads.

all these things impact on your rider comfort and the bike you decide on.

Then... theres the gear..

Helmets $120-$1200. all helmets must have ADRs on them. NEVER buy a second hand helmet. a helmet is only safe to use till its dropped ONCE. a simple drop from a bike seat/handle bar or even a kitchen table onto a hard surface renders the helmet unsafe to use.

Jackets, $150-400 Get a good jacket that allows airflow in summer and zip in liners in winter. i have a Dri Rider AIRMESH jacket with zip in liners, and a Rjays winter jacket.

Pants, Get Kevlar jeans ($100-200) from Draggins or buy proper riding pants such as the DriRider Summit series $160 or so. these have liners that can be zipped in and out for various weather conditions

normal jeans offer NO SAFTEY at all but are better than trackies and shorts.

Gloves, $35-160 WEAR THEM. when you walk and fall over.. what do you stick out first. YOUR HANDS. think of how grazed your palms get when at walking speed and falling over in gravel. now multiply by a million. who is going to wipe your arse for you when your hands are basically no longer there or wrapped in bangades so big you couldn't fist an elephant. i personally have about 8 pairs of gloves. mostly Dririders in Airmesh for summer, a more covered version for general riding. and thick water proof gloves for winter.

Boots, Steel caps are a NO! they can and will cut your toes off in an accident. leather work boots are ok as long as they cover they ankle. save it from getting ground off. Riding boots can be had for 100-600 buy some!

then there is LEATHERs. they look good if your a boy racer.. or if you rider seriously in the hills. Leather offers the best protection for your body. even if its only a few brief seconds of contact. a good set can cost thousands. a second hand set can save your life. dont need to get a full set. but if your going to go blitzing the hills i woudlnt be in anything else. make sure they zip together so they dont part when your tumbling down the road.

at 60km an hour on bitumen. your body has the consistency of a potato on a cheese grater. a gravel rash/graze is considered much worse than a knife cut. a knife cut is clean and located in a small area with generally a sterile or near sterile object. gravel rash is wide spread over your body opening up thousands of veins and capillaries. gravel rash is caused by dirt/rocks/bitumen scraping your skin off. allowing maximum area for infection from the bacteria in the dirts etc. gravel rash is also a burning of your flesh.

and then there is Pillion saftey. NEVER take a passenger unless they are suitably dressed as well. Helmet, Jacket, Gloves a mininum. i even bought a womans jacket, helmet, and 2 different pairs of ladies gloves in different sizes.

NEVER SHOW OFF WITH A PILLION. never put some one elses life on the line by trying to be a dick. you may think going a million miles an hour is fun in the hills.. and yes it is.. when its just you. but when you have some one elses life on the back its a different story.. your job as a rider is to show them how much fun it is. not scare the shit out of them and make them never want to get on the back again.

heres why..

http://sportbike.natkd.com/road_rash.htm

http://www.myspace.com/brit2morrow#!/brit2morrow/photos

brittanymorrow.jpg

PS... yeah i take this shit seriously.

Ride safe :)

11254_208827271606_586961606_3607054_7761452_n.jpg

Ended up getting a ninja.... nice find 4800 for something pretty mint.

My mate practice around 3 weeks.... then he crashed. <_ left side is scraped like a biatch...>

He was wearing pants and a jacket so he was fine.... except 2 of his fingernails that came off since he didn't have gloves. :Drugs:

Now he's looking into buying some gloves.... :thumb:

Looking to get a replacement for the gear pedal as it was pushed in bad and we had to pull it out with a wrench so we can drive it back home....

.... and also a left side indicator.

I'm just under 75kg and a short guy. So would a 125 do me? Will be mostly travelling Salisbury Highway or Pt Wakefield Rd (faster) to and from work everyday and then weekends riding around the suburbs to visit friend family etc.

And -Del- your advice was awesome. Was putting a $1500 limit on gear. Wanna spend $350approx on a helmet, same on a jacket, decent pair of gloves with the protective knuckle things. And yeh decent wet gear

i had my GPX 250, a ZX6R and now the GSXR. currently about an $8000 bike.. with about $3500 in gear.. its ridiculous ;)

3x helmets,

8x pairs gloves,

4x jackets

3x pairs riding pants

1x full set of leathers

also look into hardened saftey glasses from a worksafe shop or similar. wear these under your visor. my oakleys have saved my site at least 6 times from rocks.

if your travelling in 80-100km speed zones.. it pays to have a few herbs to play with when you need to twist the wrist. id def go nothing short of a 250cc. your frustration with cyclist and scooter riders while driving in your car.. will be the same as others frustrations with you on the highways if your lagging in traffic.

n586961606_1252999_4118.jpg