Sign in to follow this  
ST41NS

Another Bike Learner

2 of my mates got all our Bike L's at the same time last year around November.... Now we need a bike.

I've ridden small 125cc bikes since I was 12 until I was 16... I grew up overseas so yeah, having no license isn't really a biggie... nor a helmet.<_>

So I probably got beginner to rusty intermediate skills.... when I took the L's test, it was piss easy.

However for my other mate, he hit a barrier (not the cones) twice during the test but still he passed. lol.:whistle:

We're looking for about a month now and our budgets is around the 6k mark.... plus 1k for the gear of course.

Our top choices are...

Megelli 250r

The first release was horrid.... so many issues, like nearly all startup companies. ie: Hyosung.

Now they have a second release (red-colored frames) and according to the forums I've searched around.... it was improved overall, now its liquid-cooled and 6 speed to match. Still Carby though... EFI could have been great, escpecially on winter mornings.

But at 6k drive away... can't really argue. And it looks hot, really low sitting positon, great for vertically-challenge peeps like myself.

The Bad things were the sidestand, which hits the ground prematurely when you lean more than 30degrees... not much on an issue as I dont think I'll be leaning more than 30 degrees. And the odd horn button that get hit everytime you lock the steering left.... not an issue unless you like to turn at full lock all the time. And also the console looks like it came out from a happy meal... it's so small.

Kawasaki Ninja

Everyone thinks this is the best learner bike evar!!! Re-sale value is great, and that's the reason why I can't find a cheap 2nd hand one.... and all the cheap ones are like at least 300kms away from Sydney and/or the gas tank looks like a pretzel from all the drops... so yeah, kinda difficult.

Had a mate who has one and wouldn't let me test drive it eventhough I had my learners as because "he wasn't confident with my skill level"

I was riding since I was 12 and like 3 months prior to that I let him test drive my S15 coz he wants to buy one....

And then weeks later only when he was asking S15 questions and needed my help THEN he let me test drive.... was so tempted to drop it on it's side. What a tool.

Anyways, enough of my bit$$in... An overall great bike... very fun to ride... very zippy. And has 10 odd years of development to back it up.

CBR250

They really awesome... classic looking. But the ones you see around for sale are just plain old and tired looking and for a 15 year old bike it's still 6k...

Looking through the forums its the most reliable and cheapest to run.... except when you drop it. But in my books, its certainly not the best looking.

Can't say much as I haven't test drove one.

VTR250

Looks the goods... very easy to ride and can go fairly quick. One of my fem friends has one and daym they look hot.... I meant the bike of course.

but I'm kinda into the sportbike look and nakeds only look hot when it's like got a beefy-ass engine in there to fill the space where the farings should have been and yeah still going for 7k for a 2nd hand unit. Very reliable though... from what the bike forums say.

There are other choices out there of course like the Ducati Monster, CB400, Suzuki Gladius, Yamaha FZR600.... all good bikes but unfortunately out of our price range.

I just need more opinions from much more experienced riders as I really want to get a bike before October.... coz thats where my L's expires.

I need reliability and looks.... as I'll probably stick to it upto my P's so say about 2 - 3 years and it'll be my daily.

I don't really need performance as I'm on L's and P's so it's like a 90kph limit for me. And a 250 is a 250... it won't have much.

And if you know any good bikes up for grabs as well that's in the 6k range... hook a brother up!

And yeah, about insurance... is there like a theft only insurance?... coz the online quotes they have around is just for comprehensive.

Thanks guys in advance...:thumb:

whatever you do, DON'T get the megelli! my mate bought one brand new, trying to sell it after 600km, not even the dealer would buy it back. it's slow, poorly made and unreliable. cbr's are getting old, but probably the best engineered of all the 250's, despite it's age. bang for buck wise you can't go past the ninja 250, looks pretty decent for a 250, bullet proof reliability, also excellent resale value.

I started on a CBR250R, loved it.

I couldnt imagine starting on a ninja 250, i mean, what is going on with that cheesecutter rear wheel!!

Im biased, but go the CBR. BUT when/if you buy one look out for;

structural rust (unbolt the seat if you can)

leaking carby (if the bike wont start, this is your problem)

if it has less than 40,000kms be VERY suspicious

dont be fooled by new RR sticker kits

Other than that go for it, it was the best fun I ever had, you can ride the nutts off it and you dont have to worry about being flicked off if you snap the throttle too quick

I started on a CBR250R, loved it.

I couldnt imagine starting on a ninja 250, i mean, what is going on with that cheesecutter rear wheel!!

Im biased, but go the CBR. BUT when/if you buy one look out for;

structural rust (unbolt the seat if you can)

leaking carby (if the bike wont start, this is your problem)

if it has less than 40,000kms be VERY suspicious

dont be fooled by new RR sticker kits

Other than that go for it, it was the best fun I ever had, you can ride the nutts off it and you dont have to worry about being flicked off if you snap the throttle too quick

yeah,... CBR is really reliable but yeah... it's the age that gets to me. Reliable as it is.... that reliability still fades coming with age.

LOL at the cheese-cutter wheels... was gonna say that about the Ninja.

whatever you do, DON'T get the megelli! my mate bought one brand new, trying to sell it after 600km, not even the dealer would buy it back. it's slow, poorly made and unreliable. cbr's are getting old, but probably the best engineered of all the 250's, despite it's age. bang for buck wise you can't go past the ninja 250, looks pretty decent for a 250, bullet proof reliability, also excellent resale value.

Did your mate buy the first release megelli?... year 2009 below?... the air-cooled version?...

Coz yeah, that was pretty bad... didn't see a nice review about it in ANY forums.

I was hoping someone had like bought the second generation one and wrote a review but I am yet to find one as of yet.

I did see a review of this guy in perth and he loves the second generation.... I haven't checked back if he got bagged out by ninja purist yet.

not too sure which one he had, but either way i'd steer clear from the megelli. the old school zx-2r and cbr250rr are definitely the best 250's u can buy, when i was getting my first bike i really wanted one as well. but personally i just couldn't justify spending roughly the same cash on a 15 - 20 year old bike with 40,000km on the clock, where i could buy a 2008/9 ninja with less that 5000km. at the end of the day, it's still a 250. the purpose of the 250 is to give you a learning platform from which you can jump onto a bigger bike. don't worry too much about looking cool or going too fast, when it comes time to get on a 600 or 1000, that's when the real fun starts

I know.... I wouldn't mind being the slowest thing out there... as long as it'll last me 3 years or longer.

Yeah I guess, Ninjas are the way to go but my mate is like in-love with the Megelli.... we went to Aitken's Learners world and he got so excited and nearly bought the thing on the spot....

I'm like combing everyday in bikesales/point.... ^_^

hey buddy,

personally i had a cbr250rr when i was on my learners all the way through to my P's. never had a problem with it. i picked mine up from a dealer which is now closed. for just under 5k.

it was 1990. and considering the age on it. it was perfect not one single problem! but knowing me i always maintain it regularly. Oil change especially. But its fun and its easy.

Riding wise. the cbr250rr has a more aggresive seating position where as the cbr250r is more up right. looking around now though i see plenty of ninja 250s. but i still love my cbr250rr, i kinda miss it

just thinking about it now.

so +1 for cbr250rr.

good luck.

id go the cagiva mito or aprillia 125

the aprilla 125 is a awesome bike, but quiet frankly those bikes play up to much especially how its a 2stroke so they always need to be serviced and maintained.

one of my mates who had one, his engine blew whilst we were riding. so reliabilty wise i wouldnt go aprilla.

I know.... I wouldn't mind being the slowest thing out there... as long as it'll last me 3 years or longer.

Yeah I guess, Ninjas are the way to go but my mate is like in-love with the Megelli.... we went to Aitken's Learners world and he got so excited and nearly bought the thing on the spot....

to be honest thats what all learner riders say "i want my bike to last me 3 years or longer" but i give u a few months and you'll want un upgrade.

best bet u should go anything 250 and if u have the money id go the RVF400 since u want to keep your bike for afew years.

not too sure which one he had, but either way i'd steer clear from the megelli. the old school zx-2r and cbr250rr are definitely the best 250's u can buy, when i was getting my first bike i really wanted one as well. but personally i just couldn't justify spending roughly the same cash on a 15 - 20 year old bike with 40,000km on the clock, where i could buy a 2008/9 ninja with less that 5000km. at the end of the day, it's still a 250. the purpose of the 250 is to give you a learning platform from which you can jump onto a bigger bike. don't worry too much about looking cool or going too fast, when it comes time to get on a 600 or 1000, that's when the real fun starts

totally agree with danny! spot on.

being on ur learners, u are prone to make lots and lots of mistakes. so learn from them. it will SAVE u when u upgrade to 600 and up.

to be honest thats what all learner riders say "i want my bike to last me 3 years or longer" but i give u a few months and you'll want un upgrade.

best bet u should go anything 250 and if u have the money id go the RVF400 since u want to keep your bike for afew years.

Maybe.... but yeah, I'm really really wanna keep this one coz this bike is more of a conveniece thing than a fun thing. It's gonna be my daily so yeah... something rock-solid but not too daggy and old.

hey buddy,

personally i had a cbr250rr when i was on my learners all the way through to my P's. never had a problem with it. i picked mine up from a dealer which is now closed. for just under 5k.

it was 1990. and considering the age on it. it was perfect not one single problem! but knowing me i always maintain it regularly. Oil change especially. But its fun and its easy.

Riding wise. the cbr250rr has a more aggresive seating position where as the cbr250r is more up right. looking around now though i see plenty of ninja 250s. but i still love my cbr250rr, i kinda miss it

just thinking about it now.

so +1 for cbr250rr.

good luck.

True that!

I just read his reply. Im not sure the cbr would last 3 years, atleast without any serious problem.

Safest option would be to get a 2nd hand ninja. Its a shame that bike is so sedate. Its just a green/black postie bike :unsure:

if you keep it serviced the Honda cbr250 will last longer than youll own it...

while the cbr250 doesnt have much in the way of "balls", winding it out to redline will make you hard :humpleg: .... :whistle:

Still combing bikesales/bikepoint... some cbr250rr looks good.

RVF400 looks the goods but kinda out of my price range.... unfortunately.

Still combing bikesales/bikepoint... some cbr250rr looks good.

RVF400 looks the goods but kinda out of my price range.... unfortunately.

Mate have a look at suzuki GS500f I got one for my bro not long ago 2008 low 1800ks with books and bit over 5k on road from bikeshop with 9 months rego.

un like all 250 you can ride that thing 100kph+ and want have to rev its nuts of.

i dont know why people over look this bikes they go good they look good and they cheap as

This thread has been pretty helpful. Me and a mate are going for our RE sometime in a month or so. I'll be wanting to have a bike that can take a pillion when I'm legally allowed too and I am confident enough to ride with another person. Would I be better off buying like a 600cc thats been restricted? Because it might be more stable for 2 people. Any info from you guys would be awesome. Sorry to hijack your thread ST41.....

This thread has been pretty helpful. Me and a mate are going for our RE sometime in a month or so. I'll be wanting to have a bike that can take a pillion when I'm legally allowed too and I am confident enough to ride with another person. Would I be better off buying like a 600cc thats been restricted? Because it might be more stable for 2 people. Any info from you guys would be awesome. Sorry to hijack your thread ST41.....

thanks to new bike lams you have few options there, and most will serve you well past Ls & Ps.

I ride m109r but im also geting KLR650 for daily work and some bush fun, there is some thing about a bike that can do everything.

Kawasaki http://www.kawasaki.com.au/index.php?page=lams

Suzuki http://www.suzukilearners.com.au/ few nice bikes to choose from

Hyosung http://www.hyosung.com.au/lams/ dont let the name scare you they came the long way now

there are some cheap bikes around some are just dirt cheap for what they are look at klr650 or GS500 good starting poin and cheap to fix when you drop it :).

It will come down to what you want to do, if its your first bike buy it cheap and have hips of fun.

Thanks for the reply Fatpol. I sat on a 600 Hyosung last year because id always liked them. But it sorta seemed to be for me. I'm thinking I can't gauge what is comfortable for me personally to ride on yet because never ridden before. So we'll see when i get my licence etc and then bike buying process.

What does everyone think..... buy a brand new bike thats LAMs approved or buy a '08ish bike for less? Im going to always spend abit extra cause I dont want a bike with problems cause it needs to be ultra-reliable, so for me its either '08+ or brand new..... Import on own opinions would be awesome

Torrens

Thanks for the reply Fatpol. I sat on a 600 Hyosung last year because id always liked them. But it sorta seemed to be for me. I'm thinking I can't gauge what is comfortable for me personally to ride on yet because never ridden before. So we'll see when i get my licence etc and then bike buying process.

What does everyone think..... buy a brand new bike thats LAMs approved or buy a '08ish bike for less? Im going to always spend abit extra cause I dont want a bike with problems cause it needs to be ultra-reliable, so for me its either '08+ or brand new..... Import on own opinions would be awesome

Torrens

If you find good 2 year old bike go for it you will save $3k to $4k easy go for low ks and books, books are must i have a mate that dose over 55,000k a year with older bikes it looks as it only done 10,000k after two years but its gone round once and its 110,000ks. books books books !!!

I picked used gs500f for my brother from bikeshop for just over $5000k on road low ks and books and saved about $4000 same goes for other bikes.

Shop around and make shore you ride few of them, what looks good may turn in to the pain in the back after 100k ride.

Its the buyers market the winter is coming its good time to shop around when weather is shit its good time to buy.

Go the 2011 Honda CBR250R.

$5.5k non ABS

$6k with ABS

what more could you want!

Go the 2011 Honda CBR250R.

$5.5k non ABS

$6k with ABS

what more could you want!

lolwut

I was over in the states in Jan and found a bike magazine over there and they test rode the '11 Honda CBR250R and they loved it. I wonder how it will go here...

yeah.. winter is back. Bad time to ride.... good time to buy.

Having owned 2 CBR250's now, an R and an RR. I love them, so reliable, great handling, great on fuel, good power. Just a great all round bike :thumbsup:

Although i have not had anything to do withe the other makes and models.