Sign in to follow this  
sleeper_s15

To buy a bike or not to buy a bike

So i'm a 22yr old uni student working two part-time jobs. Uni, work and footy requires me to travel roughly 300km's a week not including driving around to just get personal stuff done. What i've been weighing up is whether or not to purchase a motorcycle. Reasons being obviously economy, and thrill seeking and opportunity to work on the car having a 2nd vehicle.

I had my licence before but then decided to responsible and not to purchase one due to having to pay rego and insurance for two vehicles when i was only working one job close to home and basically just wanted to get one to have fun. Now that i have a 2nd job which requires a bit of travel, is it worth it getting one now?? Obvious driving the 15 isn't very economical and money isnt really an issue as i'll most likely be picking up a 250rr for under 3k and i've already got gear etc.

So question is, anyone on here own a performance car and a bike? And do you think it is financially worth it, and what am i looking at in terms of dollar value maintaining a bike, rego, insurance etc.

Cheers

Few friends did it. Basically, the bike is a cheap run around, until you come off it. It's less practical than the car, but you can split traffic, and get to and from work quicker. But coming off a bike isn't so much to do with your skill, but more up to other people seeing you on the road.

But you can't do mad wheelie's in an s15, unless you spend big bucks.

do it you save heaps. i was spending $60-80 a week driving the car to work. bought a 250rr costs $14 a fortnight, paid for itself pretty quick.

rego-$380-430

insurance-whats thattongue.gif

maintenance- $50 oil every 5000km, rear tyre $180 about 8000-12000km depends how you ride, $20 oil filter, $30 spark plugs.

its cheaper to have a bike & car.

Have an S15 and an R1. Bike is a lot cheaper to run but can get costly too. Rego for the R1 is almost 1k, S15 is about that too. Only have 3rd party on the bike but have full comp on the car. But savings can be seen on petrol. Up to $80 for 400kms in the s15 and 17 or so for 200kms on the bike. when you upgrade to a bigger bike the $180 as posted above will not cut it for a rear. I pay $300 for a metzler M3. Awsome tire! Can pop the front in the rain :)

Cheers for the insight guys. Will most likely be getting a 250 as i need to get my licence again, would've gotten an r6 had i not let my licence expire, they seem to handle and brake better than anything i've ridden so far. Also, may get my step dad to pay for half of it as he wants to use it as well laugh.gif

Cheers, didn't notice a bike section. I do Pe teaching at uni, so not too many books for me to bring at all!

Cheers, didn't notice a bike section. I do Pe teaching at uni, so not too many books for me to bring at all!

haha, then a bike would be perfect.

I'll move this topic to the bike section.

anyone on here own a performance car and a bike? And do you think it is financially worth it, and what am i looking at in terms of dollar value maintaining a bike, rego, insurance etc.

Cheers

Ive got an S13 with enough mods to slide well, and a CBR 600RR. I really love riding atm and ride everyday. S13 gets driven less and less but I still would rather that than any other type of car.

Riding a lot seems like a lot of oil, filters and in some cases rear tyres, but rego is cheap, insurance is ok, fuel is cheap... thrills are second to none.

P.s I service my bike every 5k with Motul Oil and a honda filter...it's not that expensive really, it's due for a service too :D

Bikes are good cheap fun, But after riding my bike to work for a week and getting cut off twice i really didnt like riding it on the road (i have a wr400)

but the thought of throwing on some different gearing and some road slicks makes me a little excited

Soooo.....having let my licence expire because i got lazy (could've been just about on fulls now had i not been so lazy), will i have to do that whole learner rider course thing again or can i get pass that?

so what does it cost to get your licence. in QLD I think its nearly $1000

wtf? NSW its $78 for learner course (2 days), than the computer test (cant remember how much), than its about $45ish for your licence.

yeah thats for your full licence, jump on an R1 straight after

insurance-whats thattongue.gif

insuremyride.com.au or whatever that site is.

Had 3rd party on my 1200cc Harley... $68 a year. Just in case I scratch a Merc while lane splitting or something. :lol:

yeah thats for your full licence, jump on an R1 straight after

Wow no wonder inexperianced motor bike riders keep dying

yeah i ride to uni aswell! free parking... BEST!! bus lane all the way to city,, but just remember to take it slow on those lanes ive seen to many idiots swipe bikes. everytime im in that lane im doin 20-40kms max!! just to crazyy especially during peak hour.