Sign in to follow this  
Glenno

Auto - Manual Conversion, Which workshop in WA?

Hey guys, i have an S14 auto and looking to get it converted to manual. i live in a small town called Albany, about 400km's from perth in WA. so this is where i would need to be to get the conversion done as im no where near confident and dont know people that could help. receiving the parts i would need would also cost more than my 2 arms and legs as delivery costs would be intense. just wondering what workshops people would reccomend and also, if workshops would have or would have access to the parts needed?

Cheers.

i have a list of workshops and have done a little research but, i thought i would ask fellow silvia owners what they thought and if they have great experiences with any places.

(list)

allstar garage

c-red tuning

Factory RE

hyperdrive motorsport

kensei garage

ovaboost

race torque engineering

top racing

xspeed

autoworx

(list)

May seem like a pain but, i really have no idea how to go about it and have no experience with any of these places

Thanks guys

theres only one way to get confident....ns members can answer any thing u wanna know and google is the best tool u could ever own......go on give it a go after a couple ull be kickn urself u paid someone to do it..............go on!as for the parts u can normally get whole kit box pedals lines clutch etc in one 2nd hand kit so ull only be payn 1 delivery cost

theres only one way to get confident....ns members can answer any thing u wanna know and google is the best tool u could ever own......go on give it a go after a couple ull be kickn urself u paid someone to do it..............go on!as for the parts u can normally get whole kit box pedals lines clutch etc in one 2nd hand kit so ull only be payn 1 delivery cost

i really dont think i could, ive never even been under my car (except oil changes) installing the intercooler was hard enough, and i did quite little of it :S my old man had to help me out a lot, be he said he wouldnt even try convert the car =[ not really something i want to try to be honest :( if it was something like coilovers, or something only slightly out of my range then i would probably try.

ok u make a good point u win?i think to get it done itll cost a bit...to do it diy costs me bout 600 to a grand each time(parts cost)never got a quote on it b4 tho....)

oh okay thanksss, il have an ask around locally to see if anyone will help me, i do really appreciate your advice on trying it for saving money and learnings sake :)

Thanks

I've never heard anything bad said about c-red, however I'm the worst person to ask for recommendations.

I've only ever taken cars to one muffler shop, and a variety of tyre outlets.

Glenno, do you have any friends or family in the city who would be prepared to accept delivery, and hold the parts for a couple of weeks?

If so, I suggest this:

1. Phone around, ebay and source all the parts you need, getting them delivered to your friend's address.

2. Once it's all arrived, phone shops, make a decision and book yourself in for the conversion

3. Drive to your friend's place and pop all the crap you've sourced in the boot

From here, you can either take it to a shop, or take it home.

I would personally take it home and clean and check everything before rolling into a shop. It will take them less time to install, and produce a better result.

More importantly, should anything be damaged, you have as much time as you need to source an economic replacement. Much better than being stuck 400km away from home, whilst the shop tries to order in a part from Nissan.

You could also do this at your friend's place if they're cool with it.

So your getting a man peddle Glen. Good on you its the best way to go !!!!!! thumb.gif

So your getting a man peddle Glen. Good on you its the best way to go !!!!!! thumb.gif

haha yeah! :D trying to, has yours been done yet? or was yours always manual? i forgottededed :(

and yeah, i might do what was suggested above, source all the parts. i did how ever email a lot of perth workshops yesterday and so far have one reply by a group called "hyper drive"

got this sent to me --

"We can supply and fit the manual conversion with new Excedy Puck clutch for $ 2950."

Thats a good price mate, all you need is an excedy heavy duty clutch "sports tuff"

As for me I am making 206kw and mine has always had a man peddle. But your heading in the right direction.

A mate of mine just converted a r33 from auto to manual and paid $4500 at "101 performance" (in Brisbane) but he got a twin plate clutch cant remember brand but it was a good one.

So yeah not bad. But makes you think if you bought a manual in the first place and added 3k to price what you could have bought?

yeah thats true mate, but the reason i really want to keep this is, no one wanted to buy it :D but, the real reason, i know the engine has been babied for the first 100 000km's by the lady who owned it from new. sat on 100 every day to work and back.. so i knew it would be good to work with :) and guess what, just got this awesome price. KYP performance in perth, got an exact price from a half cut. $850 for the conversion kit. $1500 for the parts + installed. drive in, drive out. i think thats pretty good :) doesnt have a brand new clutch, but.. at that price, i dont think it really matters. hopefully the clutch would last long enough until i start making more power, to go out and get a better one :) sound like a deal? :)

yeah thats true mate, but the reason i really want to keep this is, no one wanted to buy it :D but, the real reason, i know the engine has been babied for the first 100 000km's by the lady who owned it from new. sat on 100 every day to work and back.. so i knew it would be good to work with :) and guess what, just got this awesome price. KYP performance in perth, got an exact price from a half cut. $850 for the conversion kit. $1500 for the parts + installed. drive in, drive out. i think thats pretty good :) doesnt have a brand new clutch, but.. at that price, i dont think it really matters. hopefully the clutch would last long enough until i start making more power, to go out and get a better one :) sound like a deal? :)

An Exedy 5 puck is about $550 new.

From what I've seen, I still think you could get a kit shipped from NSW/VIC to WA for much less than $1500.

So the question is... will the shop swap the gearbox should it prove to be defective upon startup?

If so, then that doesn't sound too bad, since some of the cost will be peace of mind.

yeah thats true mate, but the reason i really want to keep this is, no one wanted to buy it biggrin.gif but, the real reason, i know the engine has been babied for the first 100 000km's by the lady who owned it from new. sat on 100 every day to work and back.. so i knew it would be good to work with smile.gif and guess what, just got this awesome price. KYP performance in perth, got an exact price from a half cut. $850 for the conversion kit. $1500 for the parts + installed. drive in, drive out. i think thats pretty good smile.gif doesnt have a brand new clutch, but.. at that price, i dont think it really matters. hopefully the clutch would last long enough until i start making more power, to go out and get a better one smile.gif sound like a deal? smile.gif

An Exedy 5 puck is about $550 new.

From what I've seen, I still think you could get a kit shipped from NSW/VIC to WA for much less than $1500.

So the question is... will the shop swap the gearbox should it prove to be defective upon startup?

If so, then that doesn't sound too bad, since some of the cost will be peace of mind.

+1 do you have any recall if it goes splat. sometimes you get what you pay for shades.gif

Car now has a manual sr box :)

$1500 drive in, drive out from KYP

90 000km box and 1500 km excedy heavy duty clutch :)