Sign in to follow this  
Bub's S13

Franchises

As the heading states, with more and more businesses branching out these days has anyone on here bought a franchise?

Anything from jims lawn mowing to a Gloria jeans coffee shop?

Is it what people expected? Would they do it again?

Any other feedback

Zambrero's definately, I only know of one in SA. Good quality food and a good alternative to other similar franchises

hey mate,

myself and another member on here looked at buying an artificial grass company that was for sale earlier this year but opted to do a "planning to start your own business" with WEA like $75 for 6 weeks one day a week at a reasonable hour.. it was great and eye opening.. well worth going to one of those and asking all the questions you want..

jims mowing is definetly a good one - another is cleaning - if you can get contracts theres money to be made

jims mowing is definetly a good one - another is cleaning - if you can get contracts theres money to be made

IMO, They are shit, you put way too much effort and time in for a return.

You can't really pay someone else to do the work as QC will lack, personal interaction with customer base is not there. and paying the wage leaves little left in your pocket.

ROI is very low and need to put the hard yards in and try out do the other 12 jim mowing owners in your street.

people have said zambreros, good product yes, but the ones here in canberra open at 12, and depending on location will close at either 2pm or 9pm.

i struggle to see how they make a profit that is enough to cover the three staff they have on, pay rent, buy produce etc.

the profit margin on the food itself must be huge.

ROI is very low and need to put the hard yards in and try out do the other 12 jim mowing owners in your street.

This guy know his sh!t, every dog and his galah have a Jim's franchise, you really only get customers from your area.

It's too widely spread to be successful, all goes back to Jim. (bloody rich bastard)

ive heard good things about subway franchises, heard they're pretty profitable...

Good luck getting one in SA - they are all stiched up by on the run.

people have said zambreros, good product yes, but the ones here in canberra open at 12, and depending on location will close at either 2pm or 9pm.

i struggle to see how they make a profit that is enough to cover the three staff they have on, pay rent, buy produce etc.

the profit margin on the food itself must be huge.

Hi,

I used to work at the Zambrero's in woden and it's only open (or was when I worked there) from 12:30 till 2:30 but there was just a constant stream of people lines out the door it's only open at that time because that is when the local public servants have their lunch break. It wouldnt be overly profitable for them to be open at other hours. I have no idea how much their profit margin is but when I started working there Avo was 50 cents now its at 95 or a dollar. They probably make a decent profit.

taco bill is good, get everyone smashed off fishbowl cocktails (large party groups) charge them for an extra 4 cocktails they didnt drink at $40 each. Everyone is too drunk to notice charge $17 for a plate of rfried beans and cheese ffs

happened to us didnt notice until we looked at the receipt the next day

can you still buy Mc Donald's franchise? I remember when I use to work there back in school it was franchised....I mean its Maccas everyone buys from it

ive heard good things about subway franchises, heard they're pretty profitable...

Good luck getting one in SA - they are all stiched up by on the run.

There are a few around that aren't.

Bakers Delight also can be bought as a franchise.

Boost juice and shit like that pushing the "I'm healthy" fab will ALWAYS bring in customers. Sex, babies and weight loss sells...

Just look at the jail bait, pedo's dream girls they hire..add Some ice cubes. Some old fruit that the shops couldn't sell. Blend it up. Put it in a bright cup, say it's healthy and sell for 5-7 bucks... Paying the person to make it, plus ice cubes, fruit etc max 10-20cents each. That's good bloody profit.. And there are always 5-8 people waiting around for their super cool drinks

Boost juice and shit like that pushing the "I'm healthy" fab will ALWAYS bring in customers. Sex, babies and weight loss sells...

Just look at the jail bait, pedo's dream girls they hire..add Some ice cubes. Some old fruit that the shops couldn't sell. Blend it up. Put it in a bright cup, say it's healthy and sell for 5-7 bucks... Paying the person to make it, plus ice cubes, fruit etc max 10-20cents each. That's good bloody profit.. And there are always 5-8 people waiting around for their super cool drinks

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Agree bang for buck, that's a really good option. but it would all come down to where you could open the shop.

I believe renting in a shopping mall is stupidly expensive ?

Macas is a good option if you want to give away all you money back to maccas, from what my mate said you have to give something like 80% back to macas for rent and expenditures.

They only way people make money off of franchises is owning 2-5 stores. AKA

Each shop makes 2k a week ?

Now open up a baby store or wedding store and you have money,

Tho 2 guys running it, you might have to put on a gay persona. LOL

Maccas you have to be offered to buy one.

you needc to be a manager for at least 5 years and have a great store rating before head office will even consider you. ( once your in tho its a different story)

it cost 1.5 mil+ ( depending on location etc) to set one up but you will make that back in a year.

head office gets a decent chunk of money from your sales but who cares whn you have a business turning over $2 mil+ a year

Maccas absolutely rakes in the cash, when i worked there over lunch Mon-Fri we'd be doing $2k sales every 30 mins. Sat and sunday was insane compared to that, same for friday nights.

So there is definatly money to be made from maccas.

Dominos is another one, Franchises are cheaper-ish. and pizzas themselves cost 85 cents to make.. so the rest goes towards rent/dominos/drivers/car. Plus dominos pays employees SFA.

Plus you have instant customer base from people who use the online/phone system

you needc to be a manager for at least 5 years and have a great store rating before head office will even consider you. ( once your in tho its a different story)

Where did you come across that information? When I worked there (10 years ago) the owner was an older businessman and drove a Jag XKR.

Where did you come across that information? When I worked there (10 years ago) the owner was an older businessman and drove a Jag XKR.

EXACTLY, my mate owns 2 stores and has never worked there or been a manager he just flashed the cash and the rest as they say is history ^_^

EXACTLY, my mate owns 2 stores and has never worked there or been a manager he just flashed the cash and the rest as they say is history ^_^

I worked at Macca's for 5 years, one of my really good mate is a area manager he has been working his way up for the last 12 years to get to where he is, he has been working his way up so he can own one eventually he has been to head office and applied.

this is what he has been told.

maybe this is different in other states but thats the rules in NSW,

or maybe the rules are different for already established stores but to open up a new store in a new location those are the rules.

maybe the guys you know bought pre existing stores.

maybe the guys you know bought pre existing stores.

One was pre existing and the other was a brand new location (which was his first) he contacted HQ with an expression for a new franchise, handed over his cash and the rest is history.

Really??? wow what state is this?

Because in NSW it is deffinatly not like that even 30 years ago when my dad was a manager at maccas

Bakers Delight do a Run-to-Own program, I think it's called, where you are able to run/own it for a 6 month trial period prior to actually buying it, and I know Eagle boys pizza are developing smaller stores so that buying into the franchise is cheaper.

Really??? wow what state is this?

Because in NSW it is deffinatly not like that even 30 years ago when my dad was a manager at maccas

I got that info from the Macca's website and several other franchise websites. In fact in most of the case-studies on the Macca's franchise site the owners have come from other backgrounds.

http://mcdonalds.com.au/about-us/franchisees (take a look at the PDF).

http://franchises.about.com/od/mostpopularfranchises/a/mcdonaldscosts.htm

http://www.franchisebusiness.com.au/c/McDonalds/McDonald-s-franchise-more-than-a-dream-n852854

http://whichfranchise.net.au/index.cfm?event=getCaseStudy&articleId=236

if i were to buy one, i would get a marcelinna's mate...

i work at the parafield gardens one.. and i swear the boss is putting at least 4-5,000 a week in his pocket after tax..

its amazing money lol

some great information in here :)

i especially like the Jims mowing suggestion.

but seriously you wanna be putting a good 4-5k a week in your pocket otherwise your just buying yourself an over stressful job.

probably one of the more difficult obstacles of buying a business is finance, banks are pretty tight with this especially if its your first venture.

Looked into a Gloria Jeans and also a couple Wendys stores and the profit PA was only 30k - 70k.......I was shocked! How can they sell a business for $300k that only turns over that amount....it would be years before you even broke even. I'am keen to purchase a franchise of some sort but those figures really put me off. Also if people are selling a "profitable" franchise you really have to wonder why? As in do they know something you don't? Maybe the rent is going to be increased, maybe there loosing a major client, or maybe there is another fast food outlet opening up right next door in a few months time?