Sign in to follow this  
Matty 31

Matty T's BNR32 GTR

Took delivery on monday of my new project after the demise of the 31 build

Big thanks straight up to Kristian (Iron Chef Imports) for the assistance during the importing, 2 months turnaround isnt bad at all

Specs

1991 BNR32 GTR

smidge over 110,000 on the clock

timing belt changed at 103,000km

Mods

AVS model 6 wheels, 17x9 (235 rubber all round)

Tein coilovers

Tein castor rods

HKS mushroom filters

Blitz Dual SBC boost controller

Blitz turbo timer

HKS gauges (in glovebox lol), boost, oil temp, oil press, water temp

LCD boost meter on dash

BEE*R rev limiter

(appears) stock ECU

Nismo catback exhaust

Nismo gearknob

some gay as aids steering wheel

Plans

Got a pair of Sparco Sprint V seats and TRS harnesses to go in before Skyline Nationals (in 3 weeks, eek)

Oil cooler / filter relocator (check, goes in next thursday)

Mines Cam Baffle kit (check, next thursday too)

Couple of pics for now (thanks to lukey aka HMAS for the pics)

IMG_9947.jpg

IMG_9935.jpg

IMG_9971.jpg

IMG_9974.jpg

2010-06-15 12.49.29.jpg

awesome man.

cant wait to see it up close at lala in october if ya know what i mean:whistle::thumb:

sweet as mate..

i may or may not be a little bit jealous :blush:

look forward to see this beast out on the track as well :thumb:

did some work on it today at Luke_ENR34s workshop

seems brembos dont clear AVS6s :( however i did get to and tidy some wiring up

head unit came out

climate control moved down one slot

relocated Bee*R, EBC and the (brand discovered) Mines Boost Meter into the spare DIN slot. looks a tad ghetto but will get a trim panel made up to suit

spot of progress, car is in the capable hands of decs & luci at Garage 7

cam baffle kit is in, oil cooler was being installed.

decs did a consult on the ECU, seems it has a chip, but the fuel / ignition maps are unchanged. speed cut is at 512kph and rev limit at 8300rpm

might even be able to get my hands on a set of bride super low rails if i get onto a forum member early enough tomorrow

and my ARC airbox rocked up too :P

512kph?? whoa lol

sounds like she is coming along nicely matty

not long till skynats. ive handed out and posted up a few posters for you :thumb:

512? yeah, im sure you would be thinking what the f**k at 400kph :P

wow

spose this thread needs moar updates

i'll get to them as time goes on

in short

skynats: blew turbo

last weekend: changed stock turbos out, put in 2860 -7s (GT-SS)

today: cleaned plugs (running like arse), discovered i had splitfire coil packs :lol:

tune next week when i return from whyalla, and then another track day (to see if i get more than 6 laps this time :lol:)

couple of pics (thanks again to lukey :P), SAU:SA track day on thursday

running stock ecu, rich as shit, and only 9psi with the 2860 -7s. best time of 1:25.82

IMG_2649.jpg

IMG_2696.jpg

IMG_2780.jpg

IMG_2823.jpg

IMG_2890.jpg

IMG_2893.jpg

nice and clean i think im going to use iron chief to import me 34gtr as he seems to know what h s doing

shopping list is nearly completed for now

PFC + HC - check

750cc injectors - check (helps if i pick up and pay for them though :lol:)

Sard FPR - check

All that is left is to see what fuel pump im running (always up for a surprise), and if its shit / stock, its getting replaced with an 040 or a Walbro, and then make a new exhaust that comes out the back so it can actually be tuned :lol:

And not to forget, ive got adjustable front and rear arms to go in, swaybars / link kits to order from whiteline, and a diff to get looked at (and while thats out soild cradle bushes will be in order)

and posing pics

009.jpg

008.jpg

bout all it does good at the moment :lol:

and it gets better

DSCN0081.jpg

DSCN0078.jpg

DSCN0080.jpg

fixed the exhaust, now runs twin 2.5" front pipes (custom made) into a 3.25" collector, then to 3.5" pipe to the rear

DSCN0083.jpg

DSCN0084.jpg

DSCN0085.jpg

and i love having access to a hoist at my mate's place :P

DSCN0082.jpg

theres a couple floating around somewhere, i'll hav to hunt them out

apparently our SAU:SA track day is going to be on Motive DVD #11........and if im right, that means my ugly mug might be on there hahaha

theres a couple floating around somewhere, i'll hav to hunt them out

apparently our SAU:SA track day is going to be on Motive DVD #11........and if im right, that means my ugly mug might be on there hahaha

Yes Matty, you'll get your 5 minutes of fame. The SAU:SA track day will be out of DVD lord knows when, but its coming (we're guessing March edition).

Any more parts your GTR needs, that my shed might have laying around? :P

more progress

smoked indicators in, centrecaps on, single wiper conversion (until it annoys me haha), and worked on the dash cluster

DSCN0086.jpg

DSCN0087.jpg

DSCN0090.jpg

DSCN0093.jpg

and the goodies that G7 fitted up for me (cos i was sooooo damn lazy to do it myself :lol:)

DSCN0088.jpg

DSCN0089.jpg

currently working on the dash panel, mounting my 4 gauges (oil temp, press, water temp and boost) and my lap timer display to it all. got a cradle for my PFC hand controller to sit in, whether it will hold it at 200kph is another thing :lol: nothing a rubber band cant fix

some more updates

P1353_12-12-10.jpg

P1411_12-12-10.jpg

the dash panel

ive mounted the PFC hand controller next to it on the side of the dash with a bit of velcro. phone holder failed LOL

also installed the arms, and had some very nice 265/35/18 R1Rs fitted last week

booked for a tune with Decs at G7 on the first week of January, then to get it in at Boss Diffs before 22nd January practice day

more updates again

its been and had the 750cc injectors, bigger rail and new FPR installed

went to tune it on wednesday, seems theres a gremlin in the electrics somewhere. we suspect a dodgy AFM. So the ARC airbox has been turfed for some pods (for now, a GMS style air intake will be fabricated). In the meantime we're goin to try a set of 34R AFMs and see if that fixes the issue, if it doesnt i'll be heading down the Z32 route, with hard intake pipes to suit

22nd Jan practice is out for now, as ive gotta let the bank balance recover and still get the diff done (and the next time i can realisitcally get the car in for a tune is just before australia day)

tune was successful today

333rwkw on 18psi

next practice is 3 weekends away, then rocking hard into the MGEC AWD TURBO CHALLENGE 2011 :D

well

you fix one thing, and break three f**king others :rant:

ripped the inner guard lining on the LHS (probably due to a combination of 265s and 4.5deg pos castor)

did a "launch" and the clutch slipped

fuel pump relay shat itself

- so attempted the clutch change, between people not turning up and not having 100 percent the right tools, it didnt get started

- fixed the fuel pump wiring up after some headaches, now i think the fuel gauge doesnt work properly. have only run the car briefly so dont know if its had a chance to come back up or not since filling up

- removed the bracket that held the guard lining so the tyre doesnt get ripped to shreds by that, then discovered on full lock left the inner edge of the right tyre touches the swaybar LOL

fitted a "copy" of the Garage Defend undertray.......and found why its a copy. got more zipties holding shit together now than my red skidder ever had

clutch is getting changed by my missus' brother, and we're on tabs for being ready for saturday

Sorry to hear of your woes.

Looks tough though mate and it's making some decent power! I assume you have entered in round 1 of Time Attack?

Sorry to hear of your woes.

Looks tough though mate and it's making some decent power! I assume you have entered in round 1 of Time Attack?

thanks :) its one of those car things that you come to accept, but its the badge that makes it cost so much (as im sure you're aware already haha). Entered in the AWDTC, got round 1 and 2 entries covered

seems the clutch was just a Nismo organic based HD upgrade with the stock pressure plate still intact. the flywheel was fair heatspotted too. On a bit of a browse back down the car it seems my car has a V-spec diff too :S hence why it felt like it was open wheeling

The new clutch is like a lightswitch :lol: stalled 3 times just getting it on the trailer. Re-ziptied the gay undertray that decided to pop out from under the lip, fitted my tow strap (thanks to Nigel aka BIT SUS Customs), all ive got to do is get all my oils / coolant / etc ready tomorrow arvo, fill my jerries up and head out saturday :)

Im probably not goin to bother setting up my lap timer this time (mainly the pit wall transponder), just want to get a feel for the car.

Time for a thread update

Made it to the Feb practice day. Got a good feel for the car, good weather for it. Forgot to take my lap timer transponder so that kinda f**ked me up getting accurate lap times. in my slower sessions a mate had me at 1m25s mark, and i wasnt going flat out down the back. Managed to in later sessions, got a good feel for lines by following (and kinda chasing) a couple of IPRA cars

Then the dreaded moment came

A glance at the oil pressure gauge and a rattle from under the bonnet.........she went low then dropped to zero :( Suspecting that the oil pump failed

Car is currently undergoing major heart surgery at Garage 7. New motor already sourced (96 R33 RB26, 65k on the clock, just needed injectors, cams and turbos to run). Using the head off the old motor (as its already assembled and has the baffle kit), doing the Tomei restrictor, a rear drain mod, Nitto oil pump and Hi Octane high capacity baffled sump

Was all go for this sunday and Time Attack R1, but due to a couple of other issues (first the Patrol shitting the cooling system at the end of the Winton Drift Matsuri trip, and now being sick and lethargic) ive had to back out of Round 1 :( Car should be back and running in the next week or so as we're not rushing now to finish it, and im goin to try and get to another practice day before Mt Alma Mile

Ive had all the GTR headaches i knew i was going to have at some point, just all happened very close together

some new progress pics

Hi Octane Racing high capacity sump and Nitto Oil Pump

188326_1723833127916_1000982751_31785639_3055256_n.jpg

198387_1723832887910_1000982751_31785638_6322018_n.jpg

199706_1723832687905_1000982751_31785637_2799481_n.jpg

190764_1723832367897_1000982751_31785636_1548364_n.jpg

Head is next to go back on, got faced by Lewis Engines the other day, waiting on a head gasket to arrive

Also replaced the front diff gearing into the housing, just waiting to torque it all up

Keeping the long winded end of the engine side of things short, cut it super fine to have it ready for the Mt Alma Mile hillclimb event this weekend just been (2nd/3rd April)

First competitive event in the car, first time doing a hillclimb, first time EVER to see this Mt Alma hillclimb. Scary stuff

Kept a reasonable pace for the first day, a 50.3 followed up by a 49.5 for my last run on the saturday. put me 23rd overall and 11th in class

Sunday, i got a bit more confidence (and a bit more gee-d up by following RH9 each time). My launches got harder, braked later and went through corners quicker

Reeled out a 49.03 and a 49.00, then the "all or nothing" last run of the day came round. 10sec to go before being released for my run, i took it out of gear momentarily to rest my clutch leg, and couldnt get the f**ker back in :( officials rolled me back off the start line, only for a couple of mates come over and we cure the problem. Got to do my last run up the hill, was very loose off the line (torque steer like a *I love my mum*), so probably not the 49 flat i did on my 4th run of the weekend.

By the end, i was placed 19th overall, and 9th in class. For a first timer at this shit, i dont think im doing too bad

SAU:SA Track day in 8 days time (11th April), might be able to do some R&D on spring rates, these Tein coilovers are shitting me, and im goin to use the Bilsteins that were in the boot when the car arrived, and get some Auroras made up to custom rates to match

Next "competitive" round is Time Attack Round 2 in May

(pics coming soon im sure, giving the photo dudes a chance to recover from trigger-finger-itis :lol:)

Got another update, its been a while since i popped in here

SAU:SA track day, i had a turbo failure. Scored a good deal through Jason at MTQ / Sonic Performance for a new pair of -7s, then had Garage 7 work their wonders on some steam pipe high mount manifolds and pipe work

Needless to say, it was a hell of a push to get it finished. With a 3am finish on the Sunday of Time Attack Round 2, it was a rushed but seemingly successful outcome. Until discovering (silly thing) that not having the recirc pipe for the factory BOVs hooked up causes a vacumm leak. Got it sorted with a bit of help from a couple of competitors (and a bit of chance thinking about a coolant cap being the same size). Mass misfire from fouled plugs (and my spares being at home somewhere) was cleared in my practice session, but it was still burning a small bit of oil. Kept a check of my levels, seemed to be fine

Ended up getting to a point where my pressures read lower and lower, then 3rd run in the first timed session it felt sluggish and stalled on entry to the pits (thought my vaccumm leak may have returned). restarted to a death rattle. Called it a day :(

Had a look at it the next day, turns out i had a weeping leak from my turbo oil drains, and it was all burning off with the surrounding heat. Topped the oil up, but it still rattles, just not all the time

Once my shed is finished in the next few weeks, i'll be bringing it home from storage out north, and ripping the motor out. Theres a few other little things i want to fix up and do, so decided rushing is bullshit and theres always next season