Sign in to follow this  
Freddy Kruger

What gear do you wear while riding?

How do you rate the Shark helmet? From what ive gathered they are awesome?

Shark lids are awesome. I've tried a few over many years. Shoei has awful wind noise at any speed. And they just don't look stylish enough :P Plus the Shoei chin guard is not protruded enough (too close to your jaw).

Shark lids have lower wind noise, better ventilation, and they have saved my noggin. One accident I had, I had a Commonwhore pull out in front of me at a T-junction and stop. I T-boned him and cartwheeled thru the air landing head first, then legs ... breaking my leg and dislocating the hip. I suffered bad head trauma too ... but given the nature of the crash, I was lucky. I have alot of faith in Shark. The only downside they have is that they're worse for peripheral view compared to Shoei.

Plus Shoei are higher priced than Shark from what I've seen ... not sure about prices between the two nowdays.

Will not touch any lid under about $500 ... including HJC or any other of the cheapies! What price do you want to put on your brain?

CMS were a good cheap helmet, i've had a couple of them and they are the same as the old Shoei X8, my latest helmet is a M2R, bought it from Total M/C at Pooraka. my favorite helmet is an Arai, this has very little wind noise and the visers designs are pretty strong. but the trouble with the good Japanese brands is the exchange rate pushes them to $1K plus for a good race replica.

i've got a Walden Millar jacket plus my full leathers are Walden Millar too, they are very light plus being made locally means getting any repairs or alterations is easy as.

dririder climate pro jacket, agv mat black lid, draggin kevlar jeans, alpinestar kevlar gloves

Got a shoei X11, and love it, it does get a bit noisey, but from what ive worn, it vents awesome and good view. plus just feels like its good quality.

Had sartso killers pants, did well in a stack, but still got a bit shredded, also have the draggins, they feel like there a better fit for my body, and also held up well when i decided to lay down.

Jacket, Dainese delmar pelle, and f**k i love the thing, last time i stacked it, had abit of hang time, but once i landed i wanted to fall asleep it was that comfy, no bruising or scratches what so ever, love the thing. plus the leather feels like sex. can wear it in the heat even though its not perforated, the bubble liner works wonders. cant rate this thing high enough, in saying that i havnt gone down in another jacket, although i dont think a jacket can do much more. please note i wear this with the dainese back protector.

Boots, i have the SMX-r plus, again awesome piece of gear, love the things, easily saved me at least one broken foot. there scratched up, but thats what there for, squeaky to walk in, but good to ride, makes your foot nice and solid, so it might take some getting used to for the pedal feel, but apart from that, their awesome.

Glove i have the phantom's there by a german company called held, and there pretty gucci gloves, feel heaps better then any other pair ive touched due to the kangaroo leather and other cool shit they use to make them, awesome gloves, there a gauntlet glove, but they do work when you come off, ive had mine for 2 stacks and still going strong.

this is the shit i use, dont go cheapo on gear, because with my experience the shit does work, plus even if you sell your bike, you can keep your gear.

KBC Helmet

Joe Rocket Corona Jacket

Hornee Kevlar jeans

Gloves(forgot the brand)

Still lookin for boots

got most of my gear..

arai vector helmet

alpinestars indy jacket

alpinestars gpx gloves

draggin jeans

rays boots (gay need something better fitting)

Will not touch any lid under about $500 ... including HJC or any other of the cheapies! What price do you want to put on your brain?

My Rjays SP2 $350 protected my head just fine in my crash, full roll around scuffage and a long drag across the face. See pic. was comfy, relatively quiet and not too heavy.

I dont believe the '$100 helmet = $100 head' argument but you get more of other things from more expensive helmets, more comfort, more noise dampening, more features, more artsy designs to choose from etc etc.

Dont get me wrong, I would have an $1100 Shoei over a $100 THH but at the end of the day, they both conform to the standard.

IMG_0197.JPG

Dont get me wrong, I would have an $1100 Shoei over a $100 THH but at the end of the day, they both conform to the standard.

The standard is a minimum requirement. The prices reflect the R&D that goes into these helmets. I'd rather a brain bucket that has been tested rigorously and exceeds our standards, than a cheapie lid thats "okay" to wear.

I understand where you're coming from Bluey. But I've raced, seen nasty crashes, been in nasty crashes, and lost friends over the years. It makes me cringe when I meet guys who will buy a GSXR600/750/1000 and have little, cheap, or no gear at all (apart from helmet), all because they ran out of budget on the bike purchase. I've seen a human head in a helmet) bounce on the road and its a frightening thing.

Heck, I even wear $300 GP Tech gloves instead of the $100-$150 brands, let alone the $50 cheapies. $500 Alpinestar GP Tech boots, instead of the $100 cheapies. You can't put a price on being able to walk to the toilet, and be able to wipe your own arse. :P

I cant imagine how sickening seeing that would be :(

My general rule is:

buy the best GEAR you can afford then go bike shopping. Not vice versa.

I cant imagine how sickening seeing that would be :(

My general rule is: buy the best GEAR you can afford then go bike shopping. Not vice versa.

+1

Unfortunately, most new riders shop the other way: bike first, then gear.

I've got 2 sets of full leathers (Alpinestars and Icon), 2 pairs of Draggin jeans, 3 helmets (Shark), 2 sets of Alpinestar gloves, 1 pair of Alpinestar boots, 1 Dainese back protector, Rjays leather jacket etc

All my road/track gear easily exceeds $5K alone. Thats not including my motoX gear.

Im getting around now in one of these as a loaner

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Carbon-Fibre-Helmet-NOT-SHOEI-ARAI-SHARK-AGV-KBC-HJC-/230521205263?pt=AU_Clothing_Merchandise_Media&hash=item35ac22720f

(the pirate one) whilst my one is on order (plain carbon)

Bloody light, absolutely brilliant and fits like a glove. Ill do a write up a bit later on it.

So I am in the process of upgrading all my gear for summer, and already purchased-

Alpinestars SMK Leather Jacket- Having used it a few times already on the hotter days this jacket is awesome!

Alpinestars SPX Gloves- summer gloves are amazing so much more ventilation and movement compared to my old SP3 gloves.

Now the hard part is I am up to my helmet choice, I have been rocking the open face for the warmer days but I still want to get a new full face for its safety. I have narrowed it down to either an Shoei XR-1000 or Shoei TZ-X both I have tried on and feel great and can be had for about $699 or so. After having a quick browse online for some Shoei helmets in the states I was devastated to find I could purchase a better/safer model of helmet from Shoei for cheaper minus a 10c sticker that says "AS1698"..Why do they do this to us?? I am almost even tempted to purchase an X12 from the states and transfer an old sticker onto the new helmet.

Once helmet is purchased then next comes the Alpinestars SMX boots finished off with some new Kevlar Jeans and I am set for summer.

^^ how much did you pick up the jacket and gloves for?

im about to purchase some alpinestars smx 5 boots from

http://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/

they retail for $399 here and $219 in the US. even better if you buy from them in oct there is currently 15% off all alpinestars gear, just enter the promo code ALPINE2010, so before postage they work out to like $180!! just need to go and trial fit for size at a shop.

So I am in the process of upgrading all my gear for summer, and already purchased-

Alpinestars SMK Leather Jacket- Having used it a few times already on the hotter days this jacket is awesome!

Alpinestars SPX Gloves- summer gloves are amazing so much more ventilation and movement compared to my old SP3 gloves.

Now the hard part is I am up to my helmet choice, I have been rocking the open face for the warmer days but I still want to get a new full face for its safety. I have narrowed it down to either an Shoei XR-1000 or Shoei TZ-X both I have tried on and feel great and can be had for about $699 or so. After having a quick browse online for some Shoei helmets in the states I was devastated to find I could purchase a better/safer model of helmet from Shoei for cheaper minus a 10c sticker that says "AS1698"..Why do they do this to us?? I am almost even tempted to purchase an X12 from the states and transfer an old sticker onto the new helmet.

Once helmet is purchased then next comes the Alpinestars SMX boots finished off with some new Kevlar Jeans and I am set for summer.

Dont buy an Oseas helmet. They are the same model but they are NOT the same underneath. Oseas models do not comply to AS1698 and as such void your insurance (usually) if youre in an accident and is considered 'riding without an approved helmet' by the po-po. Transferring the sticker in so illegal its not funny not to mention theyre designed to fall apart/peel should you try.

its like the American Ford Explorer. Looks the same as the Australian one, but underneath there is subtle differences that make it different. The helmets sold overseas comply to different standards levels than we have here, changes need to be made to the helmets to meet out standards which pushes the price up. Also Shoei has a SOLE importer meaning the price can be set at whatever they want, there is no competition in the importing meaning the price is whatever they want it to be. :(

Have a look at the link I put up in my post above at the Carbon Fibre helmets, theyre in your price range and are BEAUT!.

In case someone hasn't heard of it, check the next helmet you're going to buy against http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/

Rather than say, yes, this helmet passes the minimum standard, this UK Government Department for Transport’s Safety Helmet Assessment and Rating Programme rates helmets out of 5 stars.

But remember, a high rated helmet will only work well if it fits well.

I'm riding with a HJC helmet at the moment, but apparently it's just as safe as my Shark, both of which rate a solid 5 stars. :shades:

^^ how much did you pick up the jacket and gloves for?im about to purchase some alpinestars smx 5 boots fromhttp://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/they retail for $399 here and $219 in the US. even better if you buy from them in oct there is currently 15% off all alpinestars gear, just enter the promo code ALPINE2010, so before postage they work out to like $180!! just need to go and trial fit for size at a shop.

I paid around $600 for a couple jackets and the gloves, my mate ordered a jacket with me so we could save on postage. Worked out so much cheaper then buying locally. Although I based my sizing on gear that was available locally in different models as no one had this stock instore.

I have been comparing all my helmets that I have tried on to the Sharps list..I was actually surprised at how average some of the Arai helmets did rate in that test as they did fit well similar to the Shoei lids. The Shoei lids rate better and have some better designs, so will probably just stick with them.

im new to the road riding game, came from a moto-x background.. gear so far:

RST Ventilator Jacket

Shift Stryker Perforated Leather gloves

Rjays Striker II Matte Black Helmet

Ogio No Drag Backpack

not bottoms or boots as yet as its a daily commute to work, but they will come, along with a dainese or a-stars leather jacket.

wear full leathers gloves boots not worth going any other ways when its just you and air around you and of course the bitch men

Always wear Helmet (obviously), gloves and jacket.

Pants and boots not all the time, i know i should though.

ATGATT (All The Gear All The Time)

Saves your skin, saves you scars and saves your bones. Imagine having a gimp foot for the rest of your life becaue you wore sneakers not proper boots and you foot got crushed.

ATGATT (All The Gear All The Time)

Saves your skin, saves you scars and saves your bones. Imagine having a gimp foot for the rest of your life becaue you wore sneakers not proper boots and you foot got crushed.

+1

I have a repeated saying: I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!

Sounds like you guys wear decent gear. A far cry from the squids getting around in shorts and tank tops. They need their head read, seriously!

Had a dispute with a friend of a friend some weeks ago who rode a scooter. He only wears cargo pants, jumper, shoes ... the usual casual clothes. The only protection he wears is an open face helmet (don't get me started on those open face helmets). It was him who said to me "You're on a sportsbike, so you need all that gear. I don't." Until I pointed out to him that riding to work each day, I'm still travelling at 60kph (sometimes 70kph) just like he does on that scooter. The speed is exactly the same on our commutes to work. We are both at risk of a car hitting us, falling off our bikes, and sliding down the road. The only difference is that I don't have that wank-factor, cafe-yuppie attitude and ignorance that most scooter riders have.

I don't like scooter riders much. They're not even licenced motorcyclists, being able to ride those 'things' with a car licence, yet they're a motorcycle statistic in the event of an accident. Its these inexperienced and untrained idiots that inflate motorcycle statistics. I've seen these fools do the most stupidest things in traffic, thinking they're invincible because they're part of some exclusive club. Yet they wear no gear!

(end rant) :P

The only difference is that I don't have that wank-factor, cafe-yuppie attitude and ignorance that most scooter riders have.

I don't like scooter riders much. They're not even licenced motorcyclists, being able to ride those 'things' with a car licence, yet they're a motorcycle statistic in the event of an accident. Its these inexperienced and untrained idiots that inflate motorcycle statistics. I've seen these fools do the most stupidest things in traffic, thinking they're invincible because they're part of some exclusive club. Yet they wear no gear!

(end rant) :P

I love seeing the girls in their safety stockings and kevlar suit jackets. Oh wait... :rolleyes: open face helmets.... *cringe*

You have to do the same L plate course as a motorcyclist here to ride a scooter, its like learning in an automatic car, you get a mark on your license indicating SCOOTER ONLY.

I love seeing the girls in their safety stockings and kevlar suit jackets. Oh wait... :rolleyes: open face helmets.... *cringe*

You have to do the same L plate course as a motorcyclist here to ride a scooter, its like learning in an automatic car, you get a mark on your license indicating SCOOTER ONLY.

In SA, you car ride under 100cc scooters on a car licence ... so naturally we've got thousands of scooter riders in Adelaide. I reckon there are tens of thousands of cheap chinese scooters not running in backyards across the state. :P

Went and tried on some helmets for the last time before I buy one, as I will be getting a bike in a few weeks...

Tried the AGV K4, didn't mind it, nice and cheap.

Couldn't get the ICON one over my head, regardless of size.

Nolan was shit.

Annnnd of course the only one that felt nice was the $800 Shoei XR-1100.

Now I have to shell out a heap more money, but totally worth it for how comfy this thing was :D

EDIT: Decided I should buy one while I'm in Adelaide, as I'd rather buy a helmet in a store, then over the net. Anyone got the hookups on Shoei helmets in Adelaide?

Didn't end up trying on any Arai ones... Got the XR-1100 in Matt Black, happy as a clam.

Peter Stevens should be shot for their shithouse customer service though. I had a friend with me at the time who works in retail, and she was disgusted.

Didn't end up trying on any Arai ones... Got the XR-1100 in Matt Black, happy as a clam.

Peter Stevens should be shot for their shithouse customer service though. I had a friend with me at the time who works in retail, and she was disgusted.

Ive heard one good report to dozens of terrible ones regarding Peter Stevens.

Ive heard one good report to dozens of terrible ones regarding Peter Stevens.

I will admit last time I was in there ( before Monday ) was a pleasant experience. This time, not so much. Had to hunt down a sales clerk and then the supervisor basically had a crack at the one guy who DID help me.

Went and tried on some helmets for the last time before I buy one, as I will be getting a bike in a few weeks...

Nolan was shit.

Now I have to shell out a heap more money, but totally worth it for how comfy this thing was :D

EDIT: Decided I should buy one while I'm in Adelaide, as I'd rather buy a helmet in a store, then over the net. Anyone got the hookups on Shoei helmets in Adelaide?

When are you looking at buying? I know a few sales staff in shops (yep, even Peter Stevens) and can usually haggle a good deal.

;)

Nolan was shit.

When are you looking at buying? I know a few sales staff in shops (yep, even Peter Stevens) and can usually haggle a good deal.

;)

Ended up getting the Shoei on Monday mate, looking at a bike next weekend so wanted to make sure I had the gear ready to go :D

Got the matt black XR-1100 and a tinted visor for $830. Retail for helmet was $780 I think, and visor was $110 seperately, so didn't do too badly, I don't think.