Sign in to follow this  
Simonster

Jungles Sil80

A lot of people have asked me to list some details of the car and until i now, haven't so here a few details for those intersteted;

Some info at the end time attack guys may find helpful

This has been a 8 year project so far to get it to this stage;

I sold this car to build the Sil80

side.jpg

Started off as a 1989 240sx (from Hong Kong) CA18auto. Stock other than some king springs and gab struts. Fcuking awful maroon colour :puke:

The plan for the car was always to keep it road legal and make it a fast-ish street car the i could drive to track days, go hard around the track and then drive it home- that's it.

It would take ages to fill in 8 years of build and changes so ill just touch on some things.

~2001

At the time, the 180 front shape wasn't conducive for good air entry for the intercooler oil cooler or potential for brake ducts. Plus i hate pop up lights. So changed the front for the Silvia. The CA was never in going to cut it so a stock RB20 was lowered into place. Around the same time i found my engine guy. turns out i could have built an solid RB25 for the price i payed for the RB20 conversion. SO the RB20 was left stock and stayed in the car until the RB25 was ready.

Bought an RB25DE YEP an Naturally Aspirated. The only difference between the 2 is piston and rods and they wre going to changed anyway.

So i went to Sydney and under Phil's expert tutilage, i proceeded to build the RB25 myself.

I decided that i wanted around 400rwhp (shitloads back in 2001-2)

So we picked the turbo and built the engine to suit it.

ENGINE

RB25DE

Blocked Xrayed, de-dagged and internally painted with "special" paint.

Crank grub screwed and balanced with clutch

Rods- here's the kicker. I use standard RB25 rods!!

Aria's pistons

Head light port

CC'd chambers

8.5:1 comp ratio

Tomei cams 256 x 8.5

Cometic HG. Orginally used a standard HG with o'rings for 12months.

adjustable cam gears

performance springs

Custom inlet plenum, individual bell mouths for each cylinder- standard TB

550cc RX7 series 5 injectors sitting in custom adaptors for top feed injectors

6Boost ex manfold

turbosmart progate 48mm wastegate

HKS 3037S 56T turbo 0.73ex housing

Sump, standard but enlarged with baffles.

ARP head and rod studs.

13 row oil cooler

IMG_3383.jpg

ARE custom dual pass radiator

SPAL 16inch thermo fan

Catch can with flow back to sump.

GTR brake master cylinder

Pajero clutch master on custom mount

07a6abd1.jpg

It's a little know fact but there are infact 3 rod types for the RB25, the NA DETearly and late model.

The early model is almost identical to the RB26 rod- only difference is the ends. Not many were made until they changed to the more common "late model"DET So i used the early model and shotpeened and linished them. (rods were still quite expensive back then)

Driveline

RB25 box

Cltuch- single 5 puk from Wright's Clutches in Lismore. I gave then the hp/tq target and they built the clutch to suit.

R32 diff

Engine management

Autronic SM2- phil is good friends with Richard Aubert (Mr Autronic) so i got that a stupidly cheap price. SM2 hadn't been out long then

Autronic boost controller

Autronic CDI

IMG_3389.jpg

This was all fitted by Glen "Lumpy" Cambell when i was in Perth 2004-5 Like most things, costs and schedules slid to the right and the new engine sat in the car for around 2 years before it was finally started.

IMG_2911.jpg

IMG_2907_4.jpg

Brakes

The only good part of the car performed by the wankers that did the RB20 conversion in 2001-2

R32Gts-T 4 pot front 2 pot rears

5stud conversion - custom hubs made by local guy in Brisbane- S14 stuff was quite excy then

280mm rotors. FANTASTIC upgrade from the 240mm standard piss weak things.

These brakes are still on the car now!!

IMG_3144_6.jpg

Suspension

Now this was all a guess on my part back in 2004 with bits that i thought would work. I knew very little about suspension then and as it turns out it was an excellent choice :yes:

HKS Hypermax2's 7kg front and 4 rears. It came with 5' which i changed to 4's in 2008

Whiteline ARB's front 27mm rear 21? adjustable - now has a 24mm rear

Front Tune Agent castor rods,

Rear Tune Agent traction rods, toe & camber arms.

Pineapples in cradle.

IMG_3135_1.jpg

Wheels

Previous TE37 7.5X17 8.5X17 I still have these wheels /\above/\... i should sell them?

Current Road - TE37 17X9 +15

Track - NISMO LMGT4 +22

Aero

Origin rear wing

NEW STUFF...more to come... should be fitted over Xmas break

Body

Origin rear bar

GTR style front bar from DMD

Bonnet Sierra side vents. Main vent,well i just cut into the bonnet above the start of the engine.

Fruitycuttingvents.jpg

Paint- a voilet mix of my own, although it looks blue in photo's

IMG_3603_11.jpg

Car looked like this since 2005, has some slight changes now.

Engine produces around 400rwhp

On the track, the car was under tyred and was rolling over on its rear-looks great in pics but not great for lap times.

QRwheeloff.jpg

Due to the S13 chassis propensity to slide i did everything i could to give grip to the rear, I found i couldn't go around fast corners without the back just wanting to swap ends with the front- regardless what i did with the alignment. So i fitted the rear wing up high to get it out of the turbulent from of the body. It worked really well.

Car went from typical oversteer to under steer. So i bought some spacers to give the front a wider track. 20mm spacers worked a treat but car still understeered

IMG_8240.jpg

The car was wearing it's tyres badly so it was off to a guy in Archerfield who sets up racecars and discussed what i wanted to achieve. He gave the car it's new life...man don't underestimate a PROPER wheel alignment ;)

I've since rolled front and rear guards & a fitted bigger wider wheels and tyres. Man what a difference. now use 255's all round :P as opposed to the tiny 215 front and 235 rear's :o

Ive changed the alignment again and it's now brilliant. Still has some understeer but it's almost gone as we've tuned it out.

Since fitted bigger rotors now 328 mm made some adaptors to suit. Now going thru brake pads to find what suits me. Lots of good stuff around, almost there...

Some changes happening to the car over Xmas is mainly aero stuff to get some grip back to the front.

Best time on QR sprint track with my data logger made by Ruzik Engineering i 56.7 or if you find it on the QR or http://www.timeattack.com.au it will say 57.1

Here are 2 56.7 laps, video was mounted on roof of car above my head.

There are some other video's there from inside the car in dry and the wet.

Hope you guys enjoy the footage.

When i started i was aiming at a 59.99. have slowly gotten faster over the last 2 years, thought it'd never get to 57.5 but now almost a second faster than that. Now aiming at a 55.99 That is stupidly quick and it may be out of reach but it will be very close with the new mods i have coming. I may not get there but I'm really trying

I am planning to get to Lakeside early 2010 but i need to get the car below it's current 99db to 95. Thankfully it's mainly induction noise so i am hopeful to get under it.

Up until a few weeks ago, i was the fastest road registered RWD car on the sprint track, but Courtney Hallet has since eclipsed me in his Porsche GT2. He has made a massive improvement to go from 57.6 to 56.4 <_>

I haven't been on track since July :angry:

Plans for 2010 ;

55.99 lap QR sprint track

Get down to Eastern Creek to compare lap times with the Sydney guys and catchup with guys on here.

I've become concerned with my safety as the car is getting quite fast, so i'm fitting a 1/2 cage to keep the car legal and have it engineered.

Currently car is 1325kg with me in it.

Hope you enjoyed reading, sorry its fairly lengthy. :)

Car as it is now

qr29nob0810.jpg

qr2911085.jpg

post-23512-12279611911533355600.jpg

IMG_0885.jpg

f**king HOT CAR MAN!! bloody awesome read.. hope everything goes well for you

haha started reading it and loved it! whats the next plans for it?

keep up the good work

Aero to get some grip back to the front of the car. Hoping that'll gain me around 1/2 a second for turns 1 and 2 at QR

mad track times, awesome build up. how often do you drive it on the street? got any more pics of the build up?

mad track times, awesome build up. how often do you drive it on the street? got any more pics of the build up?

Hi Peter,

I do but not on this computer, i'll add some in the next few days

I take the wing off when it's street driven, reduces attention a little as it's pretty obnoxious.

I don't drive it as much as i used to as the suspension alignment is shitty on the street as it' s setup for QR . Run lots of neg camber front and rear. I usually drive it to work once every 2 weeks to keep the battery ticking over. Before the current alignment it was every second or third day.

wow. not bad.

im more of a 1via fan. but this is a pretty nice sil80. color looks nice

nice colour, dont sell the te37's :)

I have 2 sets of of TE37's, my current set for the street and 17x9 +15 all round and another set of 17x7.5 and 17x8.5 +40 It was the last set i was talking about selling :)

Pulled some build pics off my old computer

Like i said, she started of in a frigin aweful maroon colour

1-2.jpg

here's the old CA, sold it to a guy who put it into an old Datto.

3-2.jpg

Got to ripping it out

4-1.jpg

Tell you what, this car came from hong kong and the bloody wiring is different to other 180's. I had to cut the loom <_ it was all one piece. that created own set of problems later with the rb20 conversion src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_sad.png" alt=":(">

Here is the darling before i rubbed it back for painting.

7-1.jpg

Engine bay was the first bit painted after shed loads of rubbing back and prepping and prepping and prepping....

front this....

9engbay-1.jpg

to this

9engbayafter.jpg

and this...

8engb4.jpg

to this

8engafter.jpg

Then it was time for the RB20 transplant.

engfrontoninstalled.jpg

enginejustinstalled.jpg

Was soooo cool having the RB note from the 180 way back when.

I drove it around mulitcoloured for around 5 months before i could paint the rest of the car.

These were taken at the conversion carpark.

tqfrontnopaint1.jpg

tqrearnopaint.jpg

Here's the interior

shiteverywhere.jpg

The astute reader will note the 240km/h speedo

After around 5 months, it was back for painting.

3-1.jpg

6.jpg

9.jpg

8.jpg

13.jpg

These arrived a few days ago.

Never planned to buy anything this exotic, but they came up at a fanastic price. The current brakes on the car are GTS-t calipers with an adaptor to space them out for the 328mm rotors.

While they work very well and i have no brakes isuses, i have never been happy with them as the rotors are designed for 280mm not 328 so i modify the brake pads to suit. Recently i had considered some GTR Brembo's as they would suit the 328mm rotor perfectly. BUT then these came up so i just had to have them....

IMG_0043.jpg

IMG_0047.jpg

IMG_0054.jpg

Check out the size of these things. It will be a challenge making them fit under the wheels!!

This is my 13inch Macbook for a size comparison

IMG_0058.jpg

lol all your fotos are fuked u are obviously deleting them off photobucket after uve added em here

lol all your fotos are fuked u are obviously deleting them off photobucket after uve added em here

Fixed :thumb:

Engine work complete, going back in, should be running today. Can't belive it's been 5 months since i've driven it :(

IMG_0120.jpg

IMG_0125.jpg

IMG_0128.jpg

IMG_0047.jpg

IMG_0054.jpg

WOH!

Nice calipers!

They will fit either of your wheels pretty easy, both have very high caliper clearance. What sized rotor are they designed to work with?

I have seen bits and pieces of your car around the net, good to finally see some info on it! Cool car mate! You can obviously steer too - love the cornering pic in your first post. Hook turn much? haha

Planning splitter and undertray upgrades?

Tim

Ive seen this car a few times when u drive it to work and I dont usually like sil80s much but yours has always been an exception. is ugly as hell as a street car but I think thats what I like about it lol, its like you haven't wasted time and effort on how it looks but instead concentrated on how it goes round a track. good work!

WOH!

Nice calipers!

They will fit either of your wheels pretty easy, both have very high caliper clearance. What sized rotor are they designed to work with?

I have seen bits and pieces of your car around the net, good to finally see some info on it! Cool car mate! You can obviously steer too - love the cornering pic in your first post. Hook turn much? haha

Planning splitter and undertray upgrades?

Tim

Hi Tim,

I hope so, i've been busy with getting the engine back in, haven't bothered with the brakes yet. They'll probably go on early January.

The callipers are the rears off a NASCAR road course and are a new design for AP. Very Very expensive, I hope they work well. They're designed for the rotor i run- 328mm.

Thanks, i hate not going faster each time i go out and i pull each session apart when i'm done in my head to see what worked and what didn't.

Yep, splitter first to gauge it's effect then underbody, then lastly diffuser although the last 2 might be at the same time.

Ive set myself a target of 55.99 on the sprint track at QR. Have to see if the upgrades help me get there.

Ive seen this car a few times when u drive it to work and I dont usually like sil80s much but yours has always been an exception. is ugly as hell as a street car but I think thats what I like about it lol, its like you haven't wasted time and effort on how it looks but instead concentrated on how it goes round a track. good work!

Really? You see it while I'm at work or on the way to it?

I didn't think anyone on here was out this way

Car back together again, although i found a few fuel leaks, so new hoses and new injectors o'rings as 2 had a slight weep.

injectors.jpg

Fired it up and she's running again :thumb:

Got to re bleed the clutch and water system re-fit the bonnet and she's good to drive. I'll take her for a blat today

at work. Im posted to the army base next door so spend a fair bit of time on your airbase.

at work. Im posted to the army base next door so spend a fair bit of time on your airbase.

Ah ok, so what are you driving now then?

It's not my airbase ;)

Talk about dumb, looks like i've fitted the clutch plate arseabout. :whistle: Well, that'll be gearbox out again.... <_>

my daily is a white stagea with R34 GTR wheels, might have seen it?

cant be happy bout the clutch plate! taking gearboxes on and off is a prick of a job without a hoist. feel a bit silly?

my daily is a white stagea with R34 GTR wheels, might have seen it?

cant be happy bout the clutch plate! taking gearboxes on and off is a prick of a job without a hoist. feel a bit silly?

Yes i have seen it, nice work!

There's a white one that parks down at air movements at times as well.

Turn's out the clutch is in correctly but something else is mechanically wrong. Going to the workshop tomorrow to sort it.

**update**

Clutch wasn't tightened correctly- doh

Over heating drama is back :angry: bled the water system for 2 hours as there was a sh*tload of air in there. BUT on the drive home she got hot again :rant:

Check and rechecked everything. It really comes down to a cracked block, as all that's left. That's makes me pretty sad. The head was completely rebuilt and pressure tested when it was off with new seats as well.

Got to get some dye to check it but it's looking like the block. So i'll probably sleeve it. I'll also make some more mods to the sump internals with a proper trap door system. I'll look at ceramic coating the pistons and valves as well. But that may become too expensive.

So looks like she'll get machined for sleeves, new main bearings and then she be ready to run again.

So she probably won't be ready for a few months now as i'm still to pay for the GTR mods...

Sign in to follow this