Sign in to follow this  
ij's

Universal restaurant on Lygon st.

i've had wrong orders brought to my table, long waits for my meal, waiters with attitude and been forgotten about once or twice, but i'll usually come back to a restaurant if the food is good and service is reasonable.

i will NEVER dine at the universal restaurant on lygon street ever again. probably because it was my first time there last night and i felt i was treated like shit.

this was all over a chair i was sitting on (2nd floor) that the waitress said belonged to another table! i believed she was the manager as well by the looks of her clothes and attitude. so she kicked me out of the chair and didn't even bother coming back to arrange another seat for me. when i looked around, there were so many spare chairs on other vacant tables but it had to be the one i was sitting on she wanted. there must not have been a spare chair in the whole entire restaurant. i was not happy so i left before even ordering. i found better on lygon street...

i don't think universal restaurant really cares atm because it was doing pretty well that night, especially the downstairs area. so obviously they are raking in the cash... i might have just been unlucky and copped a woman who lacked basic problem-solving skills. anyways, i feel better now getting that off my chest.

on a lighter note, here is a link to choice of good restaurants in melbourne collated by our very own members:

http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=345299&st=0&p=4665858&hl=restaurants&fromsearch=1entry4665858

lucky you didnt eat there the foods pretty shit. I had a parma there and all i could taste was flour and dolmio sauce....

I think the name should deter you the most, "Universal" restraunt... I pretty much try and stick to the Italian based restraunts on Lygon and not the Lygon St groupies that deck there shop with Ferrari/Italian soccer gear and try lure you in.

Best of luck next time, Notti's on Lygon is always very good, very packed aswell but staff are freindly and will always do there best :)

I'm a Notti's VIP ;)

Always visit Dimattinas too. Can't go past Tortellini A'Matriciana

dimma's is nice havent been to noti's. had a few beers and nachos at the university bar today, average but ok. my fave was that thai joint that just recently shut down, did the best ! spring rolls

u should of ordered sh!t loads of food then after the orders in the kitchen just leave those asols with the SH!T food & ps tell them u want all the food brought out at the same time so its all wasted lol

• Downvote 1

i don't think universal restaurant really cares atm because it was doing pretty well that night, especially the downstairs area. so obviously they are raking in the cash... i might have just been unlucky and copped a woman who lacked basic problem-solving skills. anyways, i feel better now getting that off my chest.

well you have done some damage by posting this thread. ill keep a mental note and make sure never to go there, and so will many other members !

I'm a Notti's VIP ;)

Always visit Dimattinas too. Can't go past Tortellini A'Matriciana

NOTTI's has gotten ridiculously shit its not funny anymore..

it used to be good. service is now crap, food tastes worse than any place i have ever had. but it used to be good. musta got rid of the chef's or sumshit.

and dimattina's sucks too

Tiamos is the place to go.

Food is awesome and definitely close to the best on Lygon.