Sign in to follow this  
rtr_510

So im getting my car tuned at dalton automotives

Is it wrong of me to find this funny?

However you pay for a new car, factory tuned...can you ring and ask nissan/toyota etc etc to unlock the ecu for you? I guess in some way he kinda has a point.

The industry is rife with ppl copying info and reusing as their own...but LOL at his execution..

the computer i had wasnt factory its an aftermarket one. so really its up to me wether i want it unlocked or locked.

how would you feel if an electrician did some wiring / modifications on your switchboard at home and left a padlock on it so only he could access it.. say a circuit breaker is tripped which is a matter of flicking the breaker back on . . . would you have the same electrician come back and charge you a service call-out fee everytime?

i highly doubt it.

same thing applies, izzy made it out my microtech was his property... seriously his a dckhead.

And in a way it is. You only have to look as far as mines to see how they "protect" their work..

Before you get all shitty, I'm not saying this is a good or bad thing...I just think its ballsy of him to endeavor to actually protect his own work...you paid for a service....not the info on how to provide that service...otherwise I'm thinking you would have tuned it yourself?

He paid for a tune.

He got a tune.

He then got his computer locked.

Not just his tune. That computer doesn't belong to the workshop and he has no right to disable any use from it as such.

On top of that, I don't believe there was any type of agreement to say you have any right to lock my property from use by this guy.

And I'm sorry but a Mines vs Local Workshop debate? I think there is some slight differences.

However wrong it seems, this is quite common, especially in Japan - with their high profile tuners. They dont want other tuners seeing their maps and copying their techniques.

However, If Id rocked up to a joint to have my car tuned, and they DIDNT tell me before they were going to do this, Id be pissed.

and I'd say those high profile tuners (Mines etc) would be using their own brand ECU's, so they can lock all they want...

and I'd say those high profile tuners (Mines etc) would be using their own brand ECU's, so they can lock all they want...

A mines ecu is generally a remapped standard one.

Its not uncommon for PowerFC's to be locked as well.

other tuners in america for euro cars encrypt their tunes so no one can copy it, they don't lock the ecu.. but i doubt local tuners are capable of doing that.

UPDATE

rocked up there with a car load, went in and no questions asked they gave me my pincode straight away... too easy :)

i told them this will be the last time im stepping in here.

Now back to the tuning. :)

haha that's all.

the *milkshake* would have shit him self. good on ya mate.