Sign in to follow this  
sr20jazz

Online/Off Campus Uni degrees while working full time

So I was thinking of going to Uni to get a degree while still working full time.

There is a possibility that work would pay for it so I figured why not as it will vastly improve my chances of moving up in the world.

Has anyone done an online/off campus degree?

If so how difficult was it juggling full time work with school?

Really depends how dedicated u are ay cause it does get pretty hectic. but its more the fact you come back from work and the last thing you want to do is study some more.

Alot of my mates do full time + part time evening study thats only taking half the subjects and it still takes up alot of their time.

but see it as a oppurtunity. just take it.

I've done alot of my subjects not having been to a lecture/class (either 'cos I can't understand the lecturers accent or just can't be bothered) and I've gotten through just by studying at home... a correspondence course would only be easier. Depends on the workload though... I'd be aiming for part time study workload... or else you'll be trapped at home trying to study and stressing out.

So I was thinking of going to Uni to get a degree while still working full time.

There is a possibility that work would pay for it so I figured why not as it will vastly improve my chances of moving up in the world.

on campus, it's not impossible, but it WILL drive you insane and you'll DEFINITELY want to kill yourself. unless you're one of the 0.0001% of the population that's smart enough that they don't need to study.

i don't imagine off-campus will be much better. do not recommend.

I did it... but I'm one of the 0.0001%, but I still studied.

It's pretty tough, and you pretty much throw away your life.

Off-campus studying isn't for everyone either. When I had to have surgery and I tried doing uni by distance, I found i just couldnt do it, although I have absolutely no problems studying on campus.

If you want to continue your full time job while you study (and im taking full time to mean 9-5 mon-fri) then your best bet will be off campus, and doing half the workload, i.e 2 units instead of the normal 4. Theres no point going on campus if you're not going to be able to make lectures or tutorials.

Hey man, couple of the accountants here at work did theirs off campus/online and reckoned it was heaps better. got it done quicker and are now finished a year ahead of if they had been going on campus and working.

Im interested in this too.

I'm applying for uni next year and currently have a fulltime job i can see myself doing for the next 3 or so years.

So i'm thinking first semester i'll do 1 course and then if i really love it i may quit my job and do uni full-time but i'm not really sure yet.

I work full-time (7.30 - 6) and study a Masters full-time (3 subjects / semester). It's not that hard. Just study on weekends, take a few hours off for the exams.

I'm currently studying law through Southern Cross Uni whilst working fulltime (50 - 60 hours a week) in investment banking.

It's a hard slog and you've got to be super organised. It's also expensive if work doesn't pick it up (my isn't related to my job).

on campus, it's not impossible, but it WILL drive you insane and you'll DEFINITELY want to kill yourself. unless you're one of the 0.0001% of the population that's smart enough that they don't need to study.

i don't imagine off-campus will be much better. do not recommend.

Unless you are EXTREMELY good at time management and will be disciplined enough to come home from work and get into study, I wouldn't bother.

I've worked a combination of full time and part time over the course of my (on campus) degree and it definately wasn't the easiest thing to do- full time uni and full time work.

One of the girls I work with at the moment (we're both tellers in a bank) is doing distance education through University of New England. We both work 6 days a week ( a requirement of the job) and she pretty much has no time to do her assessments and has ended up being late with a few. I'm not saying I've never been late with assessments, I just think that if your planning on doing full time uni (whether is be on or off campus) and full time work, you'd better be in it for the long haul- its tough and time consuming and definately not easy.. But I guess on the other hand oh so rewarding when you graduate :D

For the next 13 weeks I'll be working 5 days a week instead of 6, so I can attend my lectures and tutorials on campus. My boss was really cool with it and she's excited for me to finisho ff my degree, finally. There's absolutely no way I could go back to doing what I did last year- it near killed me! :o

Im still trying to decide on whether to study full time or continue working and study part time.. Already been accepted and deferred it till next year to decide. Anyone work 9-5 than attend night classes?

For a semester I was studying on-campus and working full-time and yeah it's doable but not easy. Because I got to choose my uni timetable, I managed to fit all my classes into two days so I could work the other 5. I got burned out pretty quickly with no days off. Now i'm doing part-time hours at work

Yeah doing a masters off-campus on top of another degree full-time (Mon-Fri 9-5). It's definitely manageable as long as you stay on top of things and don't leave things to the last minute as you don't have the same time brackets as you do in undergrad. In undergrad you can leave things to the last minute and then spend two days straight getting it done, but if you've got to go into work each day then this approach ain't possible.

Depends 100% on your skills and time management, but it most certainly can be done if you have the discipline.

I do a Bach of Communications major PR online.

I started whilst working full time + working second job at pub = Hard work but managed to get credits, doing two subjects a study perriod so, 8 subjects a year.

Then I worked full time somewhere that I could do study for a few hours a day + worked a second job + owned a design business = Managed ok, getting Pass, doing two subjects a study peroid.

Then I owned two businesses (one that I work at 6 days a week) + second job = Total Failure. Tried even doing one subject and still f**ked it up. Withdrew completely.

I am going to finish it now because I am going back to scenario two as the main business is closing.

Also depends what the quality of your work is. I got by in my first and second year with doing very little study/research and writing assignments the day they were due.

Now I have started my major it is too hard and I need to spend the 10 hours a week studying to pass.

Hope this helps.

Depends on what degree your doing, if your working full time and doing economics/accounting etc and have bugger all contact hours it wont be very hard. Ive done 4 years doing 40-45 contact hours (a lot of hours at medical institutes) and then worked 25 hours a week and then got about 30 horus a week of assignments, daybooks etc. If your doing something like psychology or something really involved like science or engineering you have to have very strong motivation. Me personally after about 8 week of each semester i was fried. That 8 weeks of doing 8am-6pm-7pm and then going straight to work will midnight and then working 8 hours on saturday and sunday. Thats also 8am-6pm with no breaks or if i was lucky an hour twice a week. It was really hard and i sacrified a lot to get decent grades. Then when uni break came around i wasnt thinking like all my mates about how shit faced i would get for the next 2 week but rather about picking up extra work so once the next term started that i could afford to cut back a few hours to free up for exam revision. Major problem for me was getting time to sleep.

Also another word of advice is make use of your time properly, dont do a half assed job when studying and have to do it again properly. Heaps of people did my degree and didnt work and due to the workload fell asleep in lecturers. Im not saying that i didnt want to ever but i forced myself into paying attention and not chatting or mucking around with mates as i knew i didnt have the time to go over the mp3 voice recordings after the lecture to make notes. There were times were i was so sleep deprived that i halucinated in lectures haha and once when my eyes were so f**k that after waking up the first 3 hours of lecturers i couldnt see any text on the screen as it was all blurry haha. So yeah if i can do 40-45hours at uni + 30 assignment hours + 25hours at work it can be done. Worst days were 8am till midnight at work without a break and not been able to sleep due to the build up of blood in your legs, sucks arse majorly.

^^^thats the kinda dedication that nets you a high paying job

it really does come down to if ya can handle the work load and discipline full time work and study will pretty much be all you do there wont be much time for anything else i spose it comes down to is the reward worth it, what will you get outta the degree

it really does come down to if ya can handle the work load and discipline full time work and study will pretty much be all you do there wont be much time for anything else i spose it comes down to is the reward worth it, what will you get outta the degree

Yeah too bad i got into the wrong degree to become rich. Well im 22 now and if do a PhD plus MBA ill end up coming out of it all at around 29 and the i can make massive cash but 4 years + honour year + another 4 years of Phd + 2.5 years of MBA is f**ken heaps :-(

Yeah too bad i got into the wrong degree to become rich. Well im 22 now and if do a PhD plus MBA ill end up coming out of it all at around 29 and the i can make massive cash but 4 years + honour year + another 4 years of Phd + 2.5 years of MBA is f**ken heaps :-(

Here here! I'm in the same position, in the 7th year of fulltime uni and closing out a phd. Sometimes I wish I had done something that pays better like law/med but I try not to dwell on it as I enjoy what I'm doing ATM.

That's the key: it helps to be enthusiastic about what you're doing!

Here here! I'm in the same position, in the 7th year of fulltime uni and closing out a phd. Sometimes I wish I had done something that pays better like law/med but I try not to dwell on it as I enjoy what I'm doing ATM.

Bit of a downer though that i could have done teaching for 4 years, f**ken easy as piss to HD the whole course and earn the same money that i would get after i get my PhD in the current degree, its bullshit and really motivation sapping that you bast your arse for more years, your doing ground breaking stuff but you still earn the same as a teacher who had a cruisey degree. Doesnt seem fair does it. What can you do you know.

Bit of a downer though that i could have done teaching for 4 years, f**ken easy as piss to HD the whole course and earn the same money that i would get after i get my PhD in the current degree, its bullshit and really motivation sapping that you bast your arse for more years, your doing ground breaking stuff but you still earn the same as a teacher who had a cruisey degree. Doesnt seem fair does it. What can you do you know.

i knew i didnt have the time to go over the mp3 voice recordings after the lecture to make notes.

mp3 voice recordings? Please explain?

i knew i didnt have the time to go over the mp3 voice recordings after the lecture to make notes.

some lecturers will record their lectures and post them on the uni portal for you to download if u missed the lecture, but when you listen and note the lecture listenin to the mp3 is longer as u stop the file to write stuff down.

1 hour lecture may take up to 2 hours to note.

some lecturers will record their lectures and post them on the uni portal for you to download if u missed the lecture, but when you listen and note the lecture listenin to the mp3 is longer as u stop the file to write stuff down.

^^ Really? I have never heard of this option at UNISA. If that were the case, I would never leave my day job early and lose income when I can listen to lecture notes at a more appropriate time. If this this is possible, I want in on it!

Please enlighten me!

That and its specifically f**ked for my degree as they point out shit on diagrams and its very very hard to figure it out and what they are referring to with just the audio file. Then there is a few lecturers that have the technology to voice record but dont because they think it will help students get better grades (WTF) and also only hand out lecture notes on the day and thats it rather than posting on the uni net page (WTF) and all this because they believe that student attendance will be better. Ive been f**ked by a few lecturers like that when i had an appointment and then chasing the *milkshake* up and giving him documentation for why i didnt come to the lecture is apparantly using my time well. So many douche bag lecturers in my degree, so many lazy pricks, dumb f**ks and people who have no idea how to teach.

^^ Really? I have never heard of this option at UNISA. If that were the case, I would never leave my day job early and lose income when I can listen to lecture notes at a more appropriate time. If this this is possible, I want in on it!

Please enlighten me!

Yeah even with the MP3 thing that monitor attendance, its not a tool to not rock up but rather if you didnt hear something to go back to it. On a few ocassions they deleted the MP3s and stopped doing it at 50% of the class wwasnt rocking up. I wouldnt mind video stream with audio that way i wouldnt have to rock up and see what they are pointing to on graphs and diagrams and shit.

That and its specifically f**ked for my degree as they point out shit on diagrams and its very very hard to figure it out and what they are referring to with just the audio file. Then there is a few lecturers that have the technology to voice record but dont because they think it will help students get better grades (WTF) and also only hand out lecture notes on the day and thats it rather than posting on the uni net page (WTF) and all this because they believe that student attendance will be better. Ive been f**ked by a few lecturers like that when i had an appointment and then chasing the *milkshake* up and giving him documentation for why i didnt come to the lecture is apparantly using my time well. So many douche bag lecturers in my degree, so many lazy pricks, dumb f**ks and people who have no idea how to teach.

yeah that sucks, never really had much of a bad experience wen it comes to stuff like this, besides in one of my subjects my lecture never put slides on the net and because i hated the subject i wouldnt rock it to class but would do the assignments and stuff, and when it came to exam time i failed because of this.

Where are you looking at doing your MBA? Personally I was looking at doing it @ AGSM (highest ranked MBA school in Aus) and its only 16 months long full time. Even the INSEAD MBA program runs that long.

I would recommend doing the MBA if the size of your paycheck is of primary concern. The average salary of all graduates leaving the AGSM MBA program was 120k. Which is a good start.

What was your undergrad course? When it comes to business then PhD's are usually only for those pursuing a career in academia, the only exceptions I have seen are in economics/commerce where it was of actual benefit in the marketplace.

I have been doing my masters for a while, 1 subject a semester (plus summer semester) is a good way (and slow) to get your degree if you already feel inundated. Minimum work week for me is 48 hours, and since the start of June I have been doing 72 hour weeks. I usually do 2 subjects a semester but this year as I have a shitload on my plate as it is I am only going to be doing 1 subject a semester. So thats only 3 subjects this semester :( Its slow going but I already have my life mapped out for the next 10 years in regards to course work and other master subjects I wish to pursue. My course currently is pretty good as it gives me the option to go to lectures or do the course online, which is extremely handy.

does anyone know if masters courses , do you have to pay out of your own pocket or you can hecs it?

and someone that has done postgrad coursework would br appreciated

I've done both.

35 hr working weeks and 20 hrs at uni

and then i've done part time uni and part time work

i find going flat out easier in a way. its easier to stay focused. when ive got too much time its too easy for me to lose the plot. my marks went down severely when i went part time, because it just got pushed to the background

does anyone know if masters courses , do you have to pay out of your own pocket or you can hecs it?

and someone that has done postgrad coursework would br appreciated

Depends, depends, depends. Some courses offer both, others don't, you'll have to enquire with the actual uni that you are interested in.