Sign in to follow this  
Bennybear

Guitar stuff

^They are great guitars - would love to go down to the workshop in Melbourne and see inner workings etc.

Wow...'sif Ns.com has a thread about guitars! Good to see some kooky modding going on too lol.

If anyone needs anything gear or industry related, I've been at Derringers music for the last 12 years and played in bands blah blah blah and am happy to help out. Those of you that are familiar with Derros know that we love our gear and the boss is a guitar nut so theres always plenty of high end/custom eye candy around.

I definitely Don't mind the old Ibanez/ESP/Schector vibe being a bit of a Metalhead, but it's Les Pauls and strats/teles and little 15 watt tube amps that really do it for me! I've got a 58 Les Paul custom Authentic that I bought straight from the factory floor in '02 and I'm yet to find a guitar I like better...I'll have to chuck up a pic sometime!

Edited by MILK-13

So, i have really been getting back into guitar lately, and also stumbled upon this website http://www.stewmac.com/

They have so much awesome shit for good prices, and LOADS of really good info for free (see bottom left of page under trade secrets archive).

Soooo, when i found this website it got me thinking, and looking, and working out that i can do some pretty cool mods to my Ibanez Stagestar, all for about $300. This includes new Strat style pick up setup, knobs, tremolo bridge, machine heads etc. All the hardware is gonna be gold, i think it will look cool. Still toying with the idea of bolting on one of their ready made Telecaster necks just for something different.

stagestar.jpg

They also have some good info on how to turn a "Less Paul" as they put it lol, into something that sounds like the real deal. IM gonna mod my Epi LP with the gear from their site to make it look and sounds more like the original, again i think i worked it out to cost me about 300ish, including rewiring the guitar with their wiring kit. They also have a Jimmy Page spec wiring kit to wire it like his LP with pull/push pots etc.

Just received some goodies in the post - taking advantage of the USD like a good Australian I managed to pick up a Dimarzio PAF Joe & Mo Joe with all the bits for $180!!! Literally half the price of a local purchase!

my shit should be here tomorrow. I ordered a whole bunch of stuff from Stewmac. Tuners, bridge, pre wired pickguard some other bits and pieces. I'll put a pic up of the old Stagestar when i finish the transformation. Went with all gold hardware, should look alright i reckon.

soooo i just finished revamping my old Ibanez Stagestar into a Strat-ish type of thing. I ordered all the parts from Stewart Macdonald in the states. I got Gotoh gold tuners, Gotoh gold Strat replacent tremolo, prewired single coil pickguard, some gold screws, gold jack plate, new jack, and gold neck mount plate. I think it looks alright, i quiet like the gold/black look.

The pickguard required a bit of trimming around the neck area and bottom cutaway. I had to shorten it and make a new screw hole. Everything went together well, but i have one issue. When i plug it in it hums like f**k, but whne i put my finger on the jack plate it stops. I thought bad earth or something but all the solder joints are solid. All i had to connect was the 2 wires to the jack and earth to the tremolo spring claw. Hope you guys can help me, its f**kin pissing me off!!

aaaaaanyway, here are a couple of pics:

its gone from this

180174076946-1.jpg180174076946-2.jpg

to this

IMG_7539.JPGIMG_7549.JPGIMG_7550.JPG

Just solder an earth to the jack plate as well mate - sometimes you just keep linking bits until it stops :lol:

Looks great with the new bits - now get your hands on some Dimarzio HS singles and you will be laughing

so i added another earth from the volume pot (where all the othe earth and jack wiring come from) and soldered it directly to the back of the jack plate. Plugged it in and no hum! awesome. Got my screw driver and tapped the pole piece on the pick up, aaaaand nothing :rant: seems like the pick ups arent working in any position.

Is it possible i may have f**ked the volume pot with heat when i was soldering to it?

I SOLVED MY PROBLEM!!!!! :hypo::hypo::hypo:

i f**king wired up the jack the wrong way around!!!

took me 3 days to work it out lol but its all good, sounds sweet as now :beer:

Thread revival:

I am slowly getting back into playing after 6ish years off(did nerves in one finger, tendons between thumb and finger in left hand, few wrist fractures in right hand)?

Past few months bought a Gibson Melody maker reissue(currently fitting a Seymour Duncan JB Jr [strat bridge lol]), long term if i like the JB jr will order a custom MM replacement and a lil 59 for the neck and modify my MM to be dual PU. Why a melody maker? the neck suits my f**ked hand!

Grabbed an orange tiny terror head and 1x12 orange closed back cab(vintage 30)

Cole Clark Fat Lady 1

Plan on grabbing a peavey or mesa head and a 2x12 cab by the end of the year and I should be done for a while :rolleyes:

Also have my brothers behringer strat copy, which my jb jr will eventually move into, currently setting it up.

Got his Epiphone SG too, horrible neck!(he has a gibbon SG :P)

Going to do the DIY Keeley mod to my DS1 at some point...

My old man has an early 80's(82?) Dual PU Gibson LP Jr. for sale at the moment if anyone is chasing one...

OOPS: I also have my old Yamaha RBX series bass.

Tiny terrors are awesome! Keely DS1 is sweet too. Some good choices there man :)

All sounds good mate - I had a JB/Lil'59 setup in my last ESP, perfect for rocking out!

How much is the old man asking for the LP junior? All original w/case?

How much is the old man asking for the LP junior? All original w/case?

All origional, forgot to ask about case, valued at 2k recently, he will take 1450 due to the current USD.

I just took the Noah's Ark approach to changing my gear.

As of today, I now no longer own ANY guitar gear aside from my first electric (sentimental reasons).

Thought process? I'm after a top quality amp and a vintage Les Paul. I don't know what I'm doing it; I've owned several Les Paul's and only one of them has had 'that' sound...

Nevertheless! Help me talk Amps!

Has to be low wattage (absolute max 50w) and I'm considering anything high end - Mesa, Rivera, Soldano, Matchless you name it.

Any suggestions? Think blues with an occasional tendency to play metal.

Mine has 'That sound' in spades :D

and trust me...I've played hundreds of custom shop models and 2 real 59's

2002 '58 Custom Authentic Les Paul. Hand picked from the Gibson Custom shop.

P7270007.jpg

P7270004.jpg

P7270006.jpg

As far as les pauls go, I'd say forget vintage! The ones you can afford will probably be rubbish. Go a custom shop 58-60 reissue. We have an absolute pearler at work at the moment too. It's a VOS 59 model (used...I think 2008-2009 model?)

I'd buy it myself if I had the money. I think it's about $5-6k still though

If you wanna spend BIG bucks on an amp, it would have to be a Badcat...Cub 30 from memory. Personally I'd just spend a lot less and get an Orange Rocker 30. Sooo much win for the money! Has the kind of tone I think you're on about...same as what I like. Something that you could play blues through, but also get away with metal...not the wasp in a tin can kind of Metal tone, but thick and Mid range heavy

Edited by MILK-13

^They are great guitars - would love to go down to the workshop in Melbourne and see inner workings etc.

*cough CHINA *cough

That's a stunning LP mate; you've obviously found a good one so you know what I'm on about.

I'd love to get something local but straight up refuse to pay the ridiculous prices on the Australian market - can pick up new 58 reissue custom state side for under $3kAU...

I'll check out the Orange, I have a mate that knows a guy in Soldano distribution so I'm waiting to hear from him regarding price on an Astroverb 16

3K landed? Mine cost me 8K back in 02 when I bought it :( Got a sweet display case for it as well though...and the exchange rate was about .55c :D :D Wouldn't change a thing though, I work in a guitar shop and haven't found a better one even after all these years!

Yeah fair enough. You'd just have to cross your fingers and pray it isn't a dog though. I never buy guitars unseen

Edited by MILK-13

That's a stunning LP mate; you've obviously found a good one so you know what I'm on about.

I'd love to get something local but straight up refuse to pay the ridiculous prices on the Australian market - can pick up new 58 reissue custom state side for under $3kAU...

I'll check out the Orange, I have a mate that knows a guy in Soldano distribution so I'm waiting to hear from him regarding price on an Astroverb 16

I was in this situation, I went Orange...

I played soldanos, blackstars, engels, marshalls then bought a mesa roadster. Wouldnt have minded trying some oranges but couldnt find any locally. Personally I have found my roadster to be extremely versitile but its pretty dark. Wouldnt think it would be the best blues amp though.

Just picked up an Egnater Rebel 20 head + 112 XL cab - have only put an hour on it thus far but very impressed.

The tube mix is a great idea; getting some brilliant warm tones out of the 6v6s and the el84s provide their usual chimey charm.

Can't wait to spend a little more time with it; will throw a few picks up eventually.

hey guys just wondering if any of u have owned a 7 string? reason i ask is after i come back from holidays next month im going to buy an electric but not sure if i should get a 6 or 7. what was it like adjusting to the extra string? i havent played anything for 6 years so im not sure how i'll like it.

only band im really into that dont use 6 string is meshuggah but i dont want to jump into 8 strings but i dont like the idea of even drop tuning a 6 down to 7 string tuning *flop flop*. im into playing metallica, slayer, pantera, creed, lamb of god and meshuggah.

opinions?

Heres my new little buddy; no chance to play again today - weekend will have to suffice.

Re; 7 string, buy a cheap one - i've only ever played one, never owned so I cant speak to the adaptation required.

photo.JPG