Sign in to follow this  
-SYK-

A Perfect Song!

I know its an oldie being released in 94, i found this back in 02 when i started to be able to appreciate music. I noticed that as i get more experienced in life, the affinity and understanding with this song grows. The song is "Last Goodbye" by Jeff Buckley.

This youtube embed is diabled, thus i provide the link...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hm8JoMhgjRw

LYRICS

This is our last goodbye

I hate to feel the love between us die

But it's over

Just hear this and then I'll go

You gave me more to live for

More than you'll ever know

This is our last embrace

Must I dream and always see your face

Why can't we overcome this wall

Well, maybe it's just because I didn't know you at all

(A)Kiss me, please kiss me

But kiss me out of desire, babe, and not consolation

You know it makes me so angry 'cause i know that in time

I'll only make you cry, this is our last goodbye

Did you say "No, this can't happen to me,"

And did you rush to the phone to call

Was there a voice unkind in the back of your mind

Saying maybe you didn't know him at all

You didn't know him at all, oh, you didn't know

Well, the bells out in the church tower chime

Burning clues into this heart of mine

Thinking so hard on her soft eyes and the memories

Offer signs that it's over... it's over

I love the diverse lyrical perspective this song takes on, encompassing the many emotions found in love from uncompromised passion to loss; experience and companionship; a mix denial and acceptance. I also love how this song sings in differing faces and manages to tell a story. This can be seen where the first two verses are unified/ungendered where either/both parties in a relationship participate; then to the climactic fallout where a single voice (from either side) sings to ther other party. Following the fallout, the woman sings verse 4, the man's take in verse 5. This is of the rare songs that doesn't sing one sided (eg "boohoo he left me, waah! was i not pretty enough, i will be eternal lonely").

lyrics aside, the instrumentation is pure zen with a sensational buildup in to the what i see as the song's climax (A)2:00-2:27. I recommend listeners to just "feel" the music/strings during the instrumental section between 2:28-3:06 in contrast to stanza 3 (A). These sections capture the polarity of love from the overwhelming feelings of falling for someone (like a first kiss) to pure grief and loss, if a breaking heart was musical, then it'll sound like this.

You know its genius when a song of loss can feel so right...

... if only quality music still came out in today's ulehektikdoofblingGplaya world...

i'm just waiting for the other muso regulars (looks at Spazo B)) here to rate the song.

dammit this sorta stuff needs more exposure.

great song.

although has been big for ages now.

Ja like I've said before, I love Jeff Buckley.

See if you can get "sketches for my sweetheart the drunk", it could never compare to grace but it has some pretty cool songs on there too.

Yea this was a good track - he had a few but this definately stuck out. He died under some strange circumstance or something didnt he? Killed by a speed boat or something..

mate, i love your musical taste. But you cannot beat 'Lover, you should've come over' from Grace.

In my opinion, it is 10 times better than Last goodbye.

This is my all time favourites, musically good and great lyric!

lol my bad.......I thought we could put any band in....

sorry :ph34r:

mate, i love your musical taste. But you cannot beat 'Lover, you should've come over' from Grace.

Agreed.

The cover of Hallelujah is great too. I was reminded of how great that song is a little while ago when I picked up the "Senor and the queen" EP by The Gaslight Anthem where in one song he pinches the "minor chord fall and the fourth and the fifth, it's a broken hallelujah" line.

Actually, it is fitting to have The Gaslight Anthem mentioned in a "perfect song" thread. If you haven't heard of them, check them out. Amazing band.

Agreed.

The cover of Hallelujah is great too. I was reminded of how great that song is a little while ago when I picked up the "Senor and the queen" EP by The Gaslight Anthem where in one song he pinches the "minor chord fall and the fourth and the fifth, it's a broken hallelujah" line.

Actually, it is fitting to have The Gaslight Anthem mentioned in a "perfect song" thread. If you haven't heard of them, check them out. Amazing band.

+2 for lover you shouldve come over.

anyone heard that unreleased song that was recently (or not so recently) released? "forget her"??

awesome song, dunno why it never saw the light of day til recently

"Morning Theft" is probably my fav Jeff Buckley song, chek it out if you havent heard.

a book just came out about his life etc, called "A pure drop "

on old song but one that has much more to give. i have been a fan of jeff buckley for years and i never get sick on hearing this song.

In response love for "Lover, you should have come over"; i am aware it is usually the favorite of jeff buckley fans, and for a long time it has been a favorite of mine aswell. But i find that with my life experience, the song "Last Goodbye" holds more affinity to my being. "Lover, you should have come over" while capturing a person's core emotion in grief, regret and desperation, is a bit too tragic for my tastes nowadays; "Last Goodbye" for me is a song of release for while it mourns, it also gives closure.

And for the person who chimed in about "Forget Her" that is another one of his powerful songs, the instrumentation is amazing during the 'intermission' section which is unfortunately cut out in the music video, somehow the image of 'jailhouse blues' comes into mind when i listen to this bit. The lyrics and voice have great range from the sedate second verse (my favorite) to the closing verse (a close second) where the energy and charge in his voice truely pierces the soul. A song of pain, a pure winter's night song.

an addition to the awesomness of the song "Last Goodbye", i'd like to add the introduction up to 35 seconds, the effect and instumentation creates a powerfully emotive effect. In accordance to the theme of the song i imagine a half of the broken partnership caught in a private and still moment of mental/emotional desolation as he (or she, but as i'm male, i would see a he) watches the sun rise following a previous night's farewell from his partner. I especially love the guitar whine effect from 25-35 seconds, rivalling the effects used in another song of Buckley's, Mojo Pin.

Give it a listen and respond B)