Sign in to follow this  
Grizzly Imports

Australian Defence Force info

Joining the army

Is pretty hard convincing my parents that this is what i wanna do....dont want to hurt their feelings or anything i just like the idea of all the incentives they offer :P

Is it really that good and id like to know all the bad things that you guys have been through, well like some stuff that i shud expect?, because im interested to know and it would clear my judgment up

Is it worth it?

If it's what you want, why do you need to convince your parents?

I can't comment on the other stuff though but an old friend of mine is in the army and she loved it...she was a pretty hardcore chick though, but I haven't seen her in about 3 years.

Goodluck.

I duno if its something in the water but out here all but one of my mates has joined the forces since highschool ended (and he just got his medical test to go before he's in!)

They all absolutely love it, having been to all of their graduations (kapooka for the one in the army, edinbrough and wagga for the two in the airforce) I can swear to you theres nothing in the world that tops the sence of pride you have, just watching your mate in their uniform graduating from basic. It's crossed my mind more than once to join thats for sure.

The first one to get in is in the armored corps, ASLAV driver and he should be getting posted abroad (to a sandy place) within in the next few months, The two in the airforce are ADG's (air defence guards) and are tough buggers, though one completely destroyed his shoulder in training and will re-muster into a load master position in the near future (after physio).

The last to get in is aiming for general infantry, however main tank driver catches his eye too.

What do you want to enlist as?

PM for any questions, been in 5 years a Recovery Mechanic working with all kinds of vehicles, mostly armoured and more specifically the tanks since I got in :)

Be quick though, goin to the USA in 2 weeks for an exercise with the marines.

i am spending a good couple of thousand and most mornings of the week working out to get fit enough to enlist next year all becuase the army is my dream, my mate navy and seeing the change that came over him when he enlisted from being IT slacker to a communications salior made me decide to finaly say enough and start on my way for it.

i know a mate in there he wants to get out asap but he had signed a agreemnet for 5 years so he still has 3 years to go......the good side he is rich....he hits the gym every day so he is huge now...

for me i would never never ever go...i could never understand why someone would want to go to the army to get shot at and be away from the family+friends+car+girls+boos+city+clubs f**k me list can go on and on....but if you rely wanna do it go for it

its a different experience for everyone who does it some hate it some love it, personally i would hate it : /

it's not too bad if you get based at puckapunyal.

you get to spend every weekend banging local slurries ;)

I'm sort've considering it due to all the benefits and chance to save a good bit of cash.. Would be going in for a armament fitter, although there are plenty of positions the amount of possibilities is awesome. Going into some info session later this month to find out a bit more about it as it doesn't seem to bad, although I think I would miss all the stuff i get to do now :(

if you are dead set about it and can prove that to the senior recruiter then in my opinion do it.

i spent the last year in the army (Infantry) and i can definatly say that i have had the best time of my life.

if your serious about it then give it a go, if you get in consider yourself lucky and enjoy being part of something were you can make a contribution to our country.

plus you learn alot about holding your alcohol and even more about drinking games...things you would never think of happen in the army...lol

Mess prices are cheap as shit so you could end up drunk of about $20 after a day at work aswell :)

(the mess is a soldiers rec area, includes a bar, tv pool table ect)

i've been in for 6 yrs now fixing choppers and i've learned a lot from it i would reccomend doing it but try to stick to a trade if you like electronics join up as an avionics tech just shy of 60k a yr plus 25k sign up bonus and they do nothing any other questions PM me

Mate joined the navy as a CSO (Combat systems operator).

Pay's good, food's good, he got buff in 6 months, is loving his job (pressing nerdly buttons) and they take care of you....find you housing, give you allowances, interest free loans, he's been telling me plenty of the guys heading out the door after their stint are actively being recruited into the private sector. He's a got a girlfriend who takes care of his place when he's at sea. Not doing bad at all for a 22 year old bloke.

Might be a bit different if you go in as army general infantry though.

25k signup bonus? don't you mean the 25k retention bonus for staying on an extra 2 years mate? Also the main reason we lose so many people is too many of the trades do nothing and lose their skills, its no wonder people are quitting hand over fist to actually DO their job while getting paid more by a civi company.

As for them actually finding you housing its not true really, unless you go with DHA they help some but in the end you basically pick your own place its just cheaper than normal.

they check that when you do your medical before they accept you, it only limits you from a handful of jobs.

If it's what you want, why do you need to convince your parents?

I can't comment on the other stuff though but an old friend of mine is in the army and she loved it...she was a pretty hardcore chick though, but I haven't seen her in about 3 years.

Goodluck.

of course SHE would love it

female to male ratio.

You could join the reserves.

My bro did and he loves it... got to blow up a corrola with a SAW...

if you are interested in the army and are thinking of going to the reserves to try before you buy, then think again.

no matter what they about transferring to the regs and how quick it is, it never is.

you get stuck in a paper trail that usually gets lost and you have to start over again ro get the shits and leave.

if your keen and have nothing holding you back then go for it, if you hate it then there is the phyc way out, usually involves you either going phyco or being good at pretending.

has worked before and will work again.

my 2 cents

He is on the money, and what the reserves do is nothing compared to what the regular army does.

out of curiosity what do you guys do/did for fun in the army?

YEARS ago I was considering the airforce but was thought what happens to ...

family/friends

car

clubs/going out in general

girls *and not the ones in the army *shivers*

video games :P

decent food

general freedom lol

then theres the early nights and 6am starts ect ... so basically I thought f**k that off I'll just goto university and get a normal job lol

hmm if your joining just for the incentives and not because your actually into what the military does then it may not be a good idea? I don't know could be wrong?

GL anyway :)

out of curiosity what do you guys do/did for fun in the army?

YEARS ago I was considering the airforce but was thought what happens to ...

family/friends

car

clubs/going out in general

girls *and not the ones in the army *shivers*

video games :P

decent food

general freedom lol

then theres the early nights and 6am starts ect ... so basically I thought f**k that off I'll just goto university and get a normal job lol

hmm if your joining just for the incentives and not because your actually into what the military does then it may not be a good idea? I don't know could be wrong?

GL anyway :)

- You get plenty of leave, I see friends all the time. I've got a month off coming up in a couple of days.

- I don't see how being in the ADF would have anything to do with your car?

- If i'm in Adelaide I go out pretty much every weekend, sometimes 3-4 times a week, with the added bonus of going out in different cities all over Australia + the world.

- Girls still exist if you're in the ADF, they don't just suddenly disappear of the face of the earth...

- You're allowed to play video games, plus your mum wont be around to stop you.

- Some messes have alright food, some not so. Theres nothing stopping you from going to the shops and getting your own though.

- It seems to be a common misconception that you're married to the job/service. Even when we're away we usually get enough time off. Sometimes too much.

I went for an ADF YOU session yesterday, to get a bit of information as well as doing the aptitude testing to see which positions I would be eligible for. Smashed the testing and I now I have a sheet here with 105 jobs that I can apply for without any further testing, providing there is a requirement in that field. There are also plenty of other jobs available should you undergo further testing and meet the educational requirements.

The whole freedom thing was one of my main concerns as well, and the officer there said that it was one of the common misconceptions about the ADF. I will be going for a more trade based position, and he noted that trade based positions generally get more free time than infantry so to speak. He said after basic training and you're into your routine, you would usually have every night to yourself, and after you've finished certain training regarding your trade/field you get weekends off and are able to leave where ever you're based. Ok so you may have to devote a few months initially for training etc, but in the scheme of things, for the money and lifestyle of the ADF I really think its a winner.

You really get more free time than you think!

depending on what your doing after about 4 oclock your time is your own, you generally get your own accom and most of the time an undercover car park, you can go wherever you want aslong as your ready to work at 0600 the next day.

you get to go out every weekend aslong as your not on required to work the weekend and that means clubbing and girls.

if you choose to come home on the weekend you have to get permission depending on where home is and how far away it is from your posting ie - your posted to melbourne and home is in wollongong, because it is past the alowd zone (300k's from memory) you have to apply for leave and let the chain of command know what your going to be doing just in case you get into any mischief lol.

plus the girls love guys in the army so there is no shortage of women in the local army towns :lol:

yeah those seymour girls are the shit, NOT.

Being in the army only works on girls who aren't surrounded by 3000 other swinging dicks all year round.

who here is in the defence force and what position are you in?

180GO, what do you do? what position are you in?

I'm looking at doing either armament fitting or aircraft structural fitting. Those are the 2 that i've narrowed it down to in the army. if i was looking at the air force i would probably be looking at aircraft armament technician.

Infantry? Armour? Arty? 180GO.

I think I said it before but im a Recovery Mechanic, basically a tow truck driver but I use 2 different 6 wheeled trucks and 3 different kinds of armoured vehicles. Im with tank right now, and have been for 4 years.

I'm in the final stages of joining the army reserve, just as a rifleman. Will see how i like it...