Sign in to follow this  
kamkam

fitness first - "spotting"

for anyone here who goes to fitness first, does anyone there do their own workout, by themselves ?

i went today, and anyone that had a buddy with them, 'spotting' them, was pretty much helping/lifting the bar/weight with each rep

i mean, seriosuly, im not the strongest guy on the planet (Markos can confirm this!), but i lift my own weights, no help

theres these 2 huge guys, but literally every workout they do, the other guy is pushing the weight

eg: the leg press, where you sit, and push the weights upwards, they had around 80kg+ on each side, but then one of the guys was literally pushing the bar with his hands for each rep. wtf is the point of this ?

i really did feel like walking up to them and just outright asking, why the f**k cant you do it yourself?

but then again, most of the 'big' guys at FF are super macho i can stick my chest out 50cm type

sometimes i really feel like paying Markos his hourly rate just to come to my gym and smack some sense into these posers, or at least show them how its done

haha.

welcome to the world of commercial gyms. haha. its a constant problem.

There are a few guys at my gym who always do this.

The other day one guy had 150kg on the bench press (who struggles to do 90 by himself to the chest) and the other was lifting all of the reps with him, about 6.

Once the set was over the spotter said to him "nice work"! I was trying so hard not to laugh... :lol:

I just got back from the gym this afternoon.

Two of the guys (out of 3) looked like Christian Bale in 'The Machinist'. All they did was half an hour of curls, then left.

You get used to seeing all this shit after a while.

Best thing to do is to get on with your own workout and ignore what they are doing.

I liked fitness first cos that sort of shit used to motivate me. training at home there's only one loser and that's not very motivating.

the good thing about fitness first is that you have access to multiple gyms across the world/australia as a member and that you can guarantee they will always have olympic barbells and weights. so despite the cockheads that train there you can ignore that and do your own thing. when i was an FF member i spoke to noone, looked at noone, didnt want to know anyone, just went in- trained- showered and f**ked off home. and because i was goin between vic and qld alot i could use any gym i wantd and there was always one nearby

The other day one guy had 150kg on the bench press (who struggles to do 90 by himself to the chest) and the other was lifting all of the reps with him, about 6.

Once the set was over the spotter said to him "nice work"! I was trying so hard not to laugh... :lol:

Two of the guys (out of 3) looked like Christian Bale in 'The Machinist'. All they did was half an hour of curls, then left.

Best thing to do is to get on with your own workout and ignore what they are doing.

Hahahah i have seen the same thing too.. I was wondering why they did it

Does it actually make him bench more later on? When he does it by himself?

Hahahah i have seen the same thing too.. I was wondering why they did it

Does it actually make him bench more later on? When he does it by himself?

Well... No LOL

The guy is 6ft2ish, weighs 115kg (not overly built at all) and if anything, it does more bad than good.

When in commercial gym's i alway's jack my weights by around 30-40% and use a spotter too take the excess, it builds street cred.

who gives a shit wat other ppl do, most of them think they know it all anyways, i remember seein heaps of ppl with the worst ever form at my old gym, bicep curls with the whole body thrown in to lift double wat the could with good form, squats were they didnt even go a 1/4 of the way down lol

Thats always going to happen though. I mean unless its your friends working out that are doing the wrong thing then it doesnt really matter to you right?

what does it matter? just do your own thing dw about others

good point. who gives a crap what others do.

I don't really notice people around when I'm at the gym until I have to walk in between the mirrors to get some dumbbells haha.

I think I'm one of 10 people there who squat, let alone deep, and one of two that does military presses. Those numbers aren't exaggerating either! Commercial fitness is where most people get info from, so you can't really blame them.

I train at a popular FF in Sydney and there are plenty of ppl there that squat, deadlift, military press, clean, jerk, row and lunge. there are also heaps that curl and do tricep kickbacks, but there are probably over a hundred ppl in there on a busy night, so thats to be expected. just do your own workout and worry about your own form.

let the posers pose, and the losers lose.

Edited by LISTEN_180SX

I have a spotter, for chest and chest only. They never touch the bar, but I like having them there for piece of mind incase I do manage to fail.

spotter are great. If only all people were willing enough to help you lift a weight, the world would be a better place.

for anyone here who goes to fitness first, does anyone there do their own workout, by themselves ?

i went today, and anyone that had a buddy with them, 'spotting' them, was pretty much helping/lifting the bar/weight with each rep

i mean, seriosuly, im not the strongest guy on the planet (Markos can confirm this!), but i lift my own weights, no help

theres these 2 huge guys, but literally every workout they do, the other guy is pushing the weight

eg: the leg press, where you sit, and push the weights upwards, they had around 80kg+ on each side, but then one of the guys was literally pushing the bar with his hands for each rep. wtf is the point of this ?

i really did feel like walking up to them and just outright asking, why the f**k cant you do it yourself?

but then again, most of the 'big' guys at FF are super macho i can stick my chest out 50cm type

sometimes i really feel like paying Markos his hourly rate just to come to my gym and smack some sense into these posers, or at least show them how its done

Dont worry about it KamKam.

If you're training at Fairies First you should be more worried about the fact they wont let you use chalk, nor do they have belts fro which to hang weight for dips/chins.

last night I saw a guy wearing a belt using a seated press machine with 40kgs and a spotter

I lol'd

Dont worry about it KamKam.

If you're training at Fairies First you should be more worried about the fact they wont let you use chalk, nor do they have belts fro which to hang weight for dips/chins.

My one lets me use chalk ;).

But then again I'm friends with the PT manager and half the staff haha.

I liked fitness first cos that sort of shit used to motivate me. training at home there's only one loser and that's not very motivating.

HAHAHA that made my day thanks lol..

I have been going by myself latly... Im not the greatest nor do i claim to be but for bench i do prefer a spotter simply for the fact as i can give it that little bit more then i would if i was on my own. I can push out that extra and go harder because im not worried about breaking my jaw..

biggest mistake of my life, i went to auburn FF for a workout i had to leave within 5 min it was a f**king joke...

Edited by DriftNinja

How about you try a gym where people go to work out, not try and pull a root.

How does that affect the quality of what you do though?

Well if he's that distracted by what every other wombat is doing perhaps he should change gyms. Less distractions will mean he can concentrate on what he is doing.

Jack Nicklaus sunk a put to win a tournament while a helicopter was landing on an adjacent field.

When he was interviewed after the win, a reporter asked him if the chopper put him off at all.

He replied " what chopper ? "

Concentrate on what your doing, thats the key.

Well if he's that distracted by what every other wombat is doing perhaps he should change gyms. Less distractions will mean he can concentrate on what he is doing.

If he's that easily distracted he should fix that first!

Yup... I agree that there are sooo many wanks in the gym.

Like those people who don't wipe down equipment after use,

those who don't return equipment and leave it on the floor.

and those who hog equipment and just sit there watching T.V or in a phone call.

Have a spot partner is good as you can push more safer not worrying about the bar slamming you in the throat but I have to agree that there are some dudes that pile on the plates but their spotters do half the reps. FTL... =(

I only get my spotter to help 2 reps just after failure, after that your arm turns to jello really.

Oh yeah, I hate people that stink as well... God they ruin it for you.

I like watching the people with bad form at commercial gyms, it gives me some entertainment between sets.

I especially like the footy players bragging as loud as they can there bench press weights to each other after watching the bar being pushed back up from 30cm above chest line.

What i dont understand tho is the 4-5 personal trainers walking around the gyms / putting the weights back etc allowing people to do things that are completly unsafe and un beneficial. Its a wonder how people dont seriously hurt themselves.

Yeah I go to a Fitness First.

Fair amount of "mini-arnies" thinking they are huge yet stand there watching their mate lift weights half the time or watch themselves in the mirror.

Good for a laugh atleast :P

i was at the melbourne central ff with after work crowd, there was this one guy i was watching in the mirror cos i recognised him from uni. He put his towel on the squat rack and waited, then he saw a free incline bench so he dragged that over to the squat rack and put it infront of it facing the rack, then he got some dumbells, and waited, then he grabs another barbell and puts some weight on it. so now after about 15 mins he starts stretching.... 5 mins later he finally starts to lift. 1/2 squats with about 70kgs for 8 reps, then 8 deadlifts with about 80kg, then incline bench with about 25kg dumbells. then he drops the weight and runs to the other side of the gym to do pullups and dips, then comes back for the next set, then he's gone in 15mins leaving everything there. I pissed myself watching this guy, was soo tempted to steal some of his weights while he was doing his dips. but it also pissed me off that this guy hogs all this equipment during peak hour. such a tool

some of the trainers are definitely whacked out, the weird sht they make their clients do on a bosu ball is just fkd up...