Sign in to follow this  
m&m

Want to get REAL strong and hard

Ill give this a run for a week, just to see how i feel :)

Ill start next monday :)

Edit- Cant Gym thursdays cauz of work, start at 5 school finishes at 3..so it will be monday tuesday wednesday friday saturday.

Chris, I thought you would be too big to go diving around and screaming like a bitch, I would have had you pegged as a guy that craves body contact, not avoids it.

Nah i've gotten quicker since getting bigger, and i dont dive or scream. Body contact with other males doesn't really do it for me.

Just wondering, when I do start this program, should I start easy and slowly adjust or should I just use around 85% of my 1rms for the 5x5's ?

Protein shakes by themselves for me consist of 1500cals already, plus I eat double meals for lunch and dinner, I just need to add a snack in here and there.

Cant wait! :yes:

Few questions, I'm a bit of a noob....

whats SLDL??

Why shrugs with soo much deadlifting?

What are breathing squats?

Why no rows?

Why no good mornings (or does no one do these anymore)??

I'm no expert, but everything else looks good to me.... big load, big compound lifts

I'd consider throwing in a calf exercise aswell, but thats just me...

First off, this program IS NOT for novices, forget about it.

Stiff leg deadlifts

Strong traps help in all lifts from the floor

3 deep breaths between each rep, makes them much easier lol

What, not enough back excersises in there for you lol

The lower back cops a pounding every night, you want me to add more????

Glad to here it looks good to you lol

Feel free to add calf raises if you want, my guess is you wont bother after attempting it lol

Just wondering, when I do start this program, should I start easy and slowly adjust or should I just use around 85% of my 1rms for the 5x5's ?

Protein shakes by themselves for me consist of 1500cals already, plus I eat double meals for lunch and dinner, I just need to add a snack in here and there.

Cant wait! :yes:

Everybody will be different. This is a tough workload, most guys will be dragging their feet by day 4. Just feel your way around for the first few,make adjustments as needed. I am doing a similar type workload, I'm just doing more posterior chain work while my knee is stuffed, I find I am still handling as much weight as I can, but by the 3rd and 4th movement during the workout, bodyparts start to fail, like my grip the other night during shrugs, my hands were red raw and my forearms felt like eightarms lol.

Use the first week as a guide if this is a drastic jump in workload, which I guess it will be for just about everyone. Not too sure how novices would go on this.

I reckon you would need to be very close to a 200-300-400 to gain the most out of it, but by all means try it. There are no absolutes in weight training.

Look at Switch's routine in the program's thread. Nina lifts much more than him, yet he weighs 93kg at 175cm, with very good size, he only deadlifts 90kg for reps and benches 60kg for reps. The problem is that muscle built by light pumping workouts dissapears much much quicker during a layoff, been proven many times over, while muscle built with heavy workloads hangs around much longer during a break.

Bodybuilders that stop training for whatever reason lose weight at an alarming rate, I have seen pro's in the States that I didnt even recognize after a 3 month layoff, Mike Christian for instance. This is not the same with powerlifters, I have seen some after a 6 month layoff due to injury and I couldnt pick they werent lifting, its why I always favour these types of workouts.

hahahahaha OWCH!!!

i thought you were implying that you would also gain a decent amount of fat which would make the abs no longer visible and tone lowered.

That was the major turnoff for me, plus my job doesnt allow me to take the time to eat so much haha.

Weak minded? no definatly not, i train hard, and i worked hard for what i have now. And i know your not a fan but i couldnt go without cardio, makes me feel good - This routine would bugger me so much i woudlnt be able to do cardio.

Nah, not possible to gain fat with the energy expenditure required on this program, most will struggle to maintain weight, thats why I said you will get hard.

You should put the "work wont allow me to eat "excuse in the excuses thread lol

In my many years experience in gyms, I have found that 99% of lifters are weak minded.

A strong mind doesnt make excuses why he doesnt squat, he craves the day he can finally squat 3-4-5 plates.

Cardio is 20 rep breathing squats or tabata thrusters for the strong minded, not jogging or rowing machines, weak girls use those.

A strong mind leaves the gym too exhausted to do cardio, which actually means to work the heart hard, not leaving with enough energy to go for a run because the gym workout was limp wristed.

Adam, Simon and Eddie never do cardio. They are very strong minded. There performance in Tabata thrusters on their first attempt was simply awesome, I would back them against ANY regular cardio training lifter, such as yourself express.

If you want to see what a strong minded lifter that never does cardio can do against a weak minded regular cardio guy can do on Tabata thrusters, just come round next time the boys are around, lets see how effective your cardio has been. Or if you like, you can go against them doing breathing squats if you like.

Our definition of strong/weak minded is miles apart express, I've seen Nina destroy an AFL listed player in cardio type weight movements, using more weight than them, it was actually a kick boxers routine. She is strong minded. Have a go at full squatting your bodyweight for 40 reps, see what tricks the mind starts playing on you then.

in terms of peanut butter being added to shakes, i cant find natural stuff so will the processed crap still be good? i mean it still is a lot of calories?

go to a health store and get natural peanut butter, most of them usually have a crusher themselves and make it on site.

ok will try my local health food store today, was planning to go there anyway to find dextrose, this coopers brew enhancer 1 is too expensive for carbs.

just go safeway/woolworths for ur dextrose needs its like 3.50 for 1.5 kilo lol

i bulked up about 6 months ago from 71-2kg's up to 81kg's but gained a lot of fat along with muscle. i had a break from the gym (work commitments) and recently decided to drop some weight so with a change to my diet and some cardio and gym 1-2 times a week ive dropped back to 75kg without losing too much muscle. now im off to Thailand in a month and really want to lose the last bit of fat on my belly but really want to increase my muscle mass again so im looking for a bit of a compromise. what sort of results would you expect in a month? you say this workout will burn tonnes of fat so for someone who is trying to lose a bit of fat but gain muscle would this workout suit? im looking for a program i can go hard at for a month and get some sort of results. thanks

i bulked up about 6 months ago from 71-2kg's up to 81kg's but gained a lot of fat along with muscle. i had a break from the gym (work commitments) and recently decided to drop some weight so with a change to my diet and some cardio and gym 1-2 times a week ive dropped back to 75kg without losing too much muscle. now im off to Thailand in a month and really want to lose the last bit of fat on my belly but really want to increase my muscle mass again so im looking for a bit of a compromise. what sort of results would you expect in a month? you say this workout will burn tonnes of fat so for someone who is trying to lose a bit of fat but gain muscle would this workout suit? im looking for a program i can go hard at for a month and get some sort of results. thanks

How long have you been lifting for?

What is your best squat, bench press, deadlift, overhead press, powerclean?

First off, this program IS NOT for novices, forget about it.

ive been lifting for around 1 1/2 years on and off i also like to do a lot of cardio (running, rowing) but im happy to cut that out. i have never tried for PB's in any of those but i'd probably bench 70-80kg's. i know the programs not for beginners but traditionally ive shied away from a lot of squatting /deadlifting and i'd like to change that.

with the shakes would it be okay to add oats? I am already having m&ms breakfast in the morning which is 2 tablespoons of pb and eating 100g peanuts during the day, so i dont want peanut overload lol

I was just wondering cause its really convenient for me and i am an SLK so i assume i could get away with more carbs

(ps im not planning to do this routine, already doing skinny guy routine, just asking cause we were talking about shakes)

its been gone over a zillion times, yes add oats to shakes. i do it all the time. and so do a lot of other people

yeh my brekky shake was oats, peanut butter, milk and protein...the peanut butter makes it tasty :D

"just go safeway/woolworths for ur dextrose needs its like 3.50 for 1.5 kilo lol "

my woolies doesnt have it =( i had to go venturing around canberra

Think I'm up to shake 4 or 5 for today so far, it's 2.20pm

I went to bed ealry last night, got a good 7.5hrs solid sleep, woke up feeling awsome.

Around lunchtime DOMS started kicking in on my quads - ouchies :yes:

Training tnite will be fun :)

I will try this for a month when uni finishes.

I don't know why some of you are making such a big deal about needing 8 hours sleep in this workout, I would have thought you all slept 8 hours already, assuming you exert yourself in the gym and expect gains.

I will try this for a month when uni finishes.

I don't know why some of you are making such a big deal about needing 8 hours sleep in this workout, I would have thought you all slept 8 hours already, assuming you exert yourself in the gym and expect gains.

A lot of ppl have commitments such as work, uni etc....

Trying to fit the gym in is already a task.

Same deal, you're starting this program AFTER uni finishes.....why not now ? I assume commitments as well.

Like I said in an earlier post, some guys will thrive on this and some would perish. There is no "one size fits all" with weight training.

At the end of the day it comes to mindset. If you truly believe a program will help you grow, and you give it 100%, you will grow, but If you think"this workout is way too tough", your wasting your time.

There are only a handful of guys on here who could make this program work for them. I base this on reading training journals. There is no doubt this is a very tough program, but if it spits you out the other end in 3 months, trust me, you will be much stronger and harder. You can then resort to a more mainstream program for a month or two and let the mind and body recover.

Novices do not need to go to this extreme to get big and strong, again I use Shortie as an example.

I'm at the factory with Spiros right now. He has been lifting in this manner. He had to overhead press again today.

He powercleaned 100kg and military pressed it for 5 reps. I guess its working for him, thats 2 plates. I have it on video, I will get Jovi to post it at a later date. Earlier today he pressed out of the rack 103kg x 2 for eight sets. This was his second overhead workout today.

Still think you cant recover????

I did the push presses today during my lunch break so I don't have to do them tnite with the other 3 exercises - f**k they are taxing :blink: !!

I will post in my journal after my session tnite..

As with the program you posted for me in my journal. i think it is too much for me atm. takes my shoulders about 4 or 5 days to recover fully and my chest about the same. plus atm i'm happy with the way things are progressing. props to anyone who takes this program on and undertakes it CORRECTLY! if not correctly i think you will shrivel up and die <_>

you'd certanly want to get your food pre prepared for each day or it wont happen imo.

Just out of interest, WHO has taken up the challenge ?

I want to keep an eye on their training journal...................

it seems ghosty has.

Spiros is as well, I have selected different excersises for him, but he is lifting 5 days a week, 3 times a day.

People who remain sore arent giving their bodies a reason to adapt. If I was to go labouring today, some 70kg kid would kill me, I would be in agony tomorrow, why doesnt he get sore day after day???? because his body has adapted. Once your body adapts to the workload, you can train more often, this is the reason weightlifting records keep getting broken, they are over 580lbs in the C & J, it was a milestone when Alexeev hoisted 500lbs in 1971, they say 600lbs isnt far away.

Hey markos I weighed myself thismorning naked after a piss etc, 63kg!

Success No.1: Have not withered away

Success No.2: Still alive :lol: :lol:

I can certainly get used to getting 7hrs sleep :yes:, To wake up and not feel tired is incredible :wub:

Anyway I'm off to work..........

nok_room_2.jpg

As with the program you posted for me in my journal. i think it is too much for me atm. takes my shoulders about 4 or 5 days to recover fully and my chest about the same. plus atm i'm happy with the way things are progressing. props to anyone who takes this program on and undertakes it CORRECTLY! if not correctly i think you will shrivel up and die <_>

you'd certanly want to get your food pre prepared for each day or it wont happen imo.

Hers is another point I want to make. Most guys on here wait till a muscle isnt sore before they train it again. Spiros was struggling to walk yesterday from his squats on Tuesday, yet he still went out there and did 3 plates for 10 reps on his 8th set.

He has pressed everyday this week, yesterday when I went into the office he said he did 103 x 2 reps x 8 sets in the press out of the rack earlier in the day, followed by his squats. I said" what a pity you didnt clean it first, so he went out and did his bent rows workout, his 3rd for the day, then put 100kg on the bar, cleaned it, pressed it for 4 reps, then another set for 5 reps. There would only be a handful of guys who can bench press 100kg x 5 on this site.

He is stiff and sore all day, struggles to get out of a chair, yet he still does all 3 workouts everyday, and is getting stronger by the day. His body will adjust soon, and he wont be getting sore all over. His workout poundages are going up at an alarming rate, even though he is lifting while sore. He has dropped around 18kg, but his weight loss has slowed, due to the fact he is packing on so much muscle. He is losing fat, but I reckon his weight will start going up soon.

His arms are over 18.5" cold, over 19" pumped, his neck is 20", his calves are 19". He deadlifted 200kg x 5 x 5 the other day, think about that.

He isnt benching, but he had a go the other day just too see how much strength he has lost. He benched 143kg x 2 with a 5 second pause on each rep, I'd say he isnt far off 160kg touch and go. He did do a stupidly easy 150kg with a pause a month ago, it was posted on here somewhere.

So please dont think you have to wait for the soreness to go away before you can lift, it is an old wives tale.