Sign in to follow this  
datssr

SR20DET sleeved block ?$

What would a secondhand good condition standard bore size Darton Sleeved block be worth?

I don't really see the point, what kind of grunt are you going to make?

A standard bore sized sr block will cope a fair bit. I would be filling a standard sized block full of grout before going down the path of standard sized sleeves.

I could be way off track but I thought the idea of sleeves was that once the sleeves wore out you just replaced it for new sleeves. Saves having to do any machining to the cylinders.

No, the sleeves are a machined and press fit.

Value would depend on who did the work as well.

No, the sleeves are a machined and press fit.

Value would depend on who did the work as well.

Sort of.. They are machined fit with an interference heat, shrink fit. Which means the I/d of the bore in the block is machined smaller than the o/d of the sleeves. Then the block is heated and the sleeves are cooled to allow them to fit together and when the temperatures equalise they are locked together. Then the I/d of the sleeves are finished off. That is the short story layman's description. I'm not sure of the exact grade of interference fit used with this but it relies on the coefficient of expansion of the materials. I've done alot of machining using this technique but never on engine blocks, but it all relates.

What is the usual cost to do the work? I will be needing to sleeve an SR block in the future.

What is the usual cost to do the work? I will be needing to sleeve an SR block in the future.

Mark,

Galloways in Pinjarra quoted me in 2014 approx $2K including liners.

Cheers